Lighting Your Solo/Duo

Potts

• Members

For a solo acoustic show?

Yea, I have them sequenced along with backing tracks. I also have a PA consisting of 16 JBL EONS 8 tops and 8 subs. :idk: I do a lot of outdoor stuff that requires bigger production than most single acts. Town fairs, biker bashes and such. I often provide production for these typs of event as well as playing them.

here is a pic of the set up.

0816081627a.jpg

0816081626.jpg

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yea, I have them sequenced along with backing tracks. I also have a PA consisting of 16 JBL EONS 8 tops and 8 subs.
:idk:
I do a lot of outdoor stuff that requires bigger production than most single acts. Town fairs, biker bashes and such. I often provide production for these typs of event as well as playing them.

All I have is...DUDE!!!! Are you kidding me? That's so awesome- 16 Eons!

• Members

So the new lights came today with the new T-Bar type stand. There wasn't much to jump around about but I'm pretty excited to play this week. I know about the colorstrip mini, but I didn't know about the light stand. It's great! Absolutely worth $50!

• Members

i just saw this over in the lighting forum... looks interesting... looks affordable and workable for solo/duo/trio work and more... i sent a few questions to the designer as to specs on equipment/hardware... spot light function, etc...

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?2941040-Please-check-out-my-Fishbowl-project-at-Kickstarter.-Computer-Projector-light-show!&p=46610609&viewfull=1#post46610609

• Members

i just saw this over in the lighting forum... looks interesting... looks affordable and workable for solo/duo/trio work and more... i sent a few questions to the designer as to specs on equipment/hardware... spot light function, etc...

Interesting, but it looks like you'd need a "lighting person" at the gig to fully utilize this...otoh, if you have a sound person, already, I'd think that he/she could handle both easily.

• Members

Interesting, but it looks like you'd need a "lighting person" at the gig to fully utilize this...otoh, if you have a sound person, already, I'd think that he/she could handle both easily.

i would think in order to fully utilize, yes... but for simple mood changes and ambient static effects i think it may be possible to control from stage... and from a simple interface with minimal equipment to lug around...

• Members

I use two stagecraft fixtures, each with 4 PAR 20s in them. We do not use them often, but when we do, I set them up on stands out in front of us just a bit and to the sides with them facing back at us. I have a foot switch that allows me to choose any or all of the bulbs. Someone gave these lights and the stands to me, so the price was right, and they have worked real well for us.

• Members

Yeah I don't know about this product...by the time you purchase a decent projector you're in enough $ to just purchase lights.

i would think in order to fully utilize, yes... but for simple mood changes and ambient static effects i think it may be possible to control from stage... and from a simple interface with minimal equipment to lug around...

• Members

Alright Terry and those that are wondering...here's the comprehensive post. All totaled it's just over $300. I'm not sure if there's something better or not for that price but I think I did ok. They're compact, they set up in under 5 minutes and I'll add a couple of small spots sometime later with a controller if I want.

Two of these at $119 each

87657.jpg

And two of these at $45 each but I've seen them cheaper

p44920.jpg

All fit inside here for $30

31PQ5MPQFDL.jpg

As evidenced by this, they look pretty sweet...

d%20lighting.jpg

• Members
That does look nice. What is that backdrop behind you? It looks like it's being lit from behind. Did you get the foot controller and/or master/slave the 2 units?

LOL Chaf...It's one of those humongous indoor golf domes! It's a pretty sweet backdrop isn't it? I didn't get the controller yet because I'm waiting on the little "spots" I want to get. So both of the lights were just set to a "white" or neutral type of effect. Obviously when I get the 2 additional lights I'll start using it for full colors and controlling it by a foot controller. To be honest thoug, the look so damn nice even just providing "basic" lighting, I'm in no hurry to get the spots and controller yet.

I think I'm moving my monetary efforts to recording my first solo disc. :)

• Members

Thanks for the detailed info. I believe you were using the one Colorstrip on the floor for uplighting before - now that you have the stand (and second colorstrip), how are you placing them ? Do you mount the two fixtures on each side of the crossbar, with the stand to one side of the stage?

• Members

Yes that is a sweet backdrop. And the white does look nice.

As for moving your monetary efforts, I think you could finish this light project very cheaply. With just one front light with bastard amber gel you are looking at under $30 shipped. Instead of buying the controller you can just run a DMX or xlr cable between the 2 colorstrips and set the master to slow fade.

• Members

Wow! That's it huh? Alright you win! I'm just going to order them now! Your also right about the controller...I'll just put it on a long fade. Thanks man!

Yes that is a sweet backdrop. And the white does look nice.

As for moving your monetary efforts, I think you could finish this light project very cheaply. With just one
with
you are looking at under $30 shipped. Instead of buying the controller you can just run a DMX or xlr cable between the 2 colorstrips and set the master to slow fade.

• Members

Thanks for the detailed info. I believe you were using the one Colorstrip on the floor for uplighting before - now that you have the stand (and second colorstrip), how are you placing them ? Do you mount the two fixtures on each side of the crossbar, with the stand to one side of the stage?

Just like this Jimbo...

lights.jpg

• Members

Hey Terry

I'm thinking they're probably about the same. The strips may be easier to "store" though. They throw out an incredible amount of light. Sometimes too much and I have to position them to compensate. Of course I could always dive in and lower the saturation through one of the settings on the back. The only thing that I would be curious to find out is if I spent my money wisely. I feel like I did but I'm not a light guy so...

Cool, Potts...would those strip lights put out more light than the round ones I'm considering (post #36)?

Think I've carved enough time out tomorrow to do some "research" @ Guitar Center....hopefully, I'll be substancially less clueless when I return...
:p

• Members

Hey Terry

I'm thinking they're probably about the same. The strips may be easier to "store" though. They throw out an incredible amount of light. Sometimes too much and I have to position them to compensate. Of course I could always dive in and lower the saturation through one of the settings on the back. The only thing that I would be curious to find out is if I spent my money wisely. I feel like I did but I'm not a light guy so...

Seems if you can turn them down, you got what you need...might be handy in some venues to have a little more power!

After looking at your set-up, I'm now thinking 3 lights...one on each cab (on stands, as close to the ceiling as is practical), and one on the floor, pointing up at me/us.

And, yeah, the travel/store aspect of the strip lights is an attractive feature...a buddy of mine has told me that whenever I get whatever lights I decide upon, that I can come down to his metal shop and bring the lights and one of my PA cabs, and we'll figure out a way of attachment.

• Members

Seems if you can turn them down, you got what you need...might be handy in some venues to have a little more power!

After looking at your set-up, I'm now thinking 3 lights...one on each cab (on stands, as close to the ceiling as is practical), and one on the floor, pointing up at me/us.

And, yeah, the travel/store aspect of the strip lights is an attractive feature...a buddy of mine has told me that whenever I get whatever lights I decide upon, that I can come down to his metal shop and bring the lights and one of my PA cabs, and we'll figure out a way of attachment.

Pointing lights upward rarely looks good, and will make it difficult to see pedals!

• Members

There was a husband/wife duo around here 20+ years ago. They had a very bright par mounted somehow real close to the woman's face that made her look great. It had the affect of a spotlight and must have been been terrible for her to look into it, but it made her look like a star. I think it was mounted on the keyboard stand.

• Members
Cool, Potts...would those strip lights put out more light than the round ones I'm considering (post #36)?

Think I've carved enough time out tomorrow to do some "research" @ Guitar Center....hopefully, I'll be substancially less clueless when I return...
:p

I think the strip lights will give a better spread (wider coverage) than the round lights. Also If you have more than one strip light, they can be master/slaved to keep them in sync with one another, or do a runway type effect (which looks very cool if the lights are behind you)

Archived