Potts

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Potts View Post
Great tunes Howie!
Thanks, man. It works. Nothing groundbreaking on there. Plenty of cliche.

I've been REALLY slack about adding new stuff over the past year. I'm trying to work on more new material. The Joker and Long Haired Country Boy are both adds in the past week.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Howie22

View Post

Thanks, man. It works. Nothing groundbreaking on there. Plenty of cliche. I've been REALLY slack about adding new stuff over the past year. I'm trying to work on more new material. The Joker and Long Haired Country Boy are both adds in the past week.

We share quite a few tunes. 50 Ways to Leave Your Lover is fairly new to me. I always thought it was really hard but it's nothing. That's been a staple that people are eating up lately. I've also been doing that "Drops of Jupiter" quite a bit. I'm not a huge fan of the tune but I actually enjoying playing/singing it. I capo it at 2 or 3 depending on the night.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Potts View Post
We share quite a few tunes. 50 Ways to Leave Your Lover is fairly new to me. I always thought it was really hard but it's nothing. That's been a staple that people are eating up lately. I've also been doing that "Drops of Jupiter" quite a bit. I'm not a huge fan of the tune but I actually enjoying playing/singing it. I capo it at 2 or 3 depending on the night.
50 Ways is a cool tune. I'll have to look into it. I've been working lately on Me and Julio. That's one's about ready to play out.

I've messed around with Drops of Jupiter before. I've never been able to do it in a key that I was happy with the vocals. Pat Monahan's voice is so freaking high.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Howie22 View Post

I've messed around with Drops of Jupiter before. I've never been able to do it in a key that I was happy with the vocals. Pat Monahan's voice is so freaking high.
Same here. I started working on the sequence from scratch and eventually decided it won't sound right with the key lowered to Johnny Cash's range. smile.gif Mel & Julio would be a great upbeat number to do. I always like slip slidin' away too, but it's very laid back.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Bob Dey View Post
I always like slip slidin' away too, but it's very laid back.
Yeah, I've worked on that one as well. It is pretty mellow. Might be a good end of the night tune sometime, or maybe a first set tune.

I may get my trio to work out "Late in the Evening." I've always liked that one. I'm not sure how much wide appeal it would have, though. It's probably not as well known as some of the other Simon material.

• Members

Drops of Jupiter...I throw a capo at 2 or 3 and play "G-D-C" relative to the capo. I think I've even capoed it a the first fret before. nobody would ever notice.

I also do Slip Sliding Away at least once a week, Late in the evening about once a month and Julio used to be a staple in my set but the whistling thing drives me nuts so I seldom do it anymore.

• Members

Me and Julio and The Boxer are always winners with us, people always respond well.
We use Me and Julio as the first song when we want to "pick things us a bit" and it always works!

Drops of Jupiter works really well for us as well but we do it in the natural key so I am not sure how it works drop tuned.

I want to add a Beach Boys tune to the set, any ideas/recomendations?

Rod

• Members

Hey Rod...what do you do during the solo break in Me and Julio?

Quote Originally Posted by rodclement View Post
Me and Julio and The Boxer are always winners with us, people always respond well.
We use Me and Julio as the first song when we want to "pick things us a bit" and it always works!

Drops of Jupiter works really well for us as well but we do it in the natural key so I am not sure how it works drop tuned.

I want to add a Beach Boys tune to the set, any ideas/recomendations?

Rod

• Members

Guitar, cajon, and whistle! It's alwasy fun and you can do it for a loooong time if people are dancing, always works!

BTW, we just merged to songs for a new (to us) medley - "What I like about you" and "R-o-c-k in the USA" great response and works great with one guitar! Here is the structure we are using:

What I Like About Rockin in the USA

hey..uh uh huh

what i like about you
you hold me tight
tell me im the only one wanna come over tonight
keep on whispering in my ear
tell me all the things i wanna hear
cuz its true thats what i like about you
thats what i like about you

They Come from the cities
And they come from the smaller towns
Beat up cars with guitars and drummers
Going Crack boom bam

R-O-C-K in the USA
R-O-C-K in the USA
R-O-C-K in the USA
Rockin

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Dey

View Post

I do Surfin' USA and California Girls. Both work without harmony, but Cal Girls has a high vocal part (which I sing an octave lower).

phil and the guys in endless summer used to do a pretty decent job on beach boy stuff. They still do any gigs ,, i know they kinda packed it in a few years ago. that band was together over thirty years. Sorry guys inside baseball ,,, bob is from the zoo,, my old home town

• 4 months later...