Power Conditioners

• Members

OK - I did a search...and this subject needs more discussion!

I have just got me a new (well - new to me) rack to hold my stuff (A 100watt keyboard amp head, Lexicon MPX110, and a Korg Tuner) - and there's an extra space in the rack - WHOO HOO.

So, instead of mounting a power strip in the back (my old solution) - why not pick up a Power Conditioner ..... Furman/Gemini/Powerwerks.... to fill the slot?

Per the aformentioned search - I learn that the cheaper ones may be no better than a surge supression strip from Home Depot.

So...what specs should I be looking for? Filtering? Actual Conditioning? What would you pro's recommend? I rather not spend $80 bucks for someth'n that'll work as well as a $10 strip.

Thanks - this place is awesome.

• Members

My opinion here, I'm sure contrary to some of the "experts"...;)

Virtually all of the sub-$100 power strips utilize only shunt protection devices (MOV's) and rely on the power source's impedance to limit the spike fault current. From a functional point of view, the results are all similar in that they will attenuate short HF transient voltages (both common mode and differential mode) by somewhere around 20dB at best.

The more professional units become more sophisticated in that they generally include series indusctors to improve the attenuation ratios AND to help dissipate the fault current in the MOV's. They also generally have higher dissipation MOV's which increase reliability.

There are even better units that include both active protection devices and passive series-shunt devices, but these are even more expensive.

All of these devices require a very low impedance ground path to work effectively.

In my opinion, the vast majority of properly designed equipment will see zero benefit from the sub-$100 protection. The power supplies are robust enough to absorb common transients. The issue is the marginally designed products, but even these are more robust than the power strip protection. Power amps are even more inherently protected given the size of the power transformers (or input X-Y caps on switchers) and filter caps (HF bypass).

If you have a severe enough (joule-seconds) transient to damage your gear, then the amount of energy present will most likely damage your power strip protection also.

• CMS Author

Originally posted by agedhorse

All of these devices require a very low impedance ground path to work effectively.

I think this statement should be emphasized.

Many otherwise decently wired locations have sub-par grounding. It's something that is only checked once, if ever, when the service is first installed in a building. And though it may seem obvious, the use of the ubiquitous 3-to-2-prong "adapters" to either reverse polarity or bypass grounding of the supply will render these devices useless.

• Members

Thanks!

I didn't know that a proper ground was necessary for these devices to work - ya learn sumpt'n new every day...

I'm an Aerospace Engineer - dealing with airframe structures..what does "MOV" mean?

I was led to believe (wishfull thinking?) that power conditioners will help/eliminate line noise from florescent lights or other things plugged into the same circuit - that would seem to me the main advantage of a rack mountable Power Conditioner over the ubiquitous power strips. Would the sub $100 units be useless for this purpose as well?

• CMS Author

Originally posted by AlanG

Thanks!

I didn't know that a proper ground was necessary for these devices to work - ya learn sumpt'n new every day...

I'm an Aerospace Engineer - dealing with airframe structures..what does "MOV" mean?

I was led to believe (wishfull thinking?) that power conditioners will help/eliminate line noise from florescent lights or other things plugged into the same circuit - that would seem to me the main advantage of a rack mountable Power Conditioner over the ubiquitous power strips. Would the sub $100 units be useless for this purpose as well?

MOV - metal oxide varistor

Inexpensive power conditioners will lessen EMI and RFI noise, but again, not as well as pricier units. No free lunches......:)

• Members

You have to ask yourself 'what do I expect this thing to do?' What does 'conditioning' really mean?

I mean where are you where you are having power problems ... gennies ... lighting strikes ... navel ships? Your best (cheap) protection is to measure any/every socket you plug into. Those little $5 plug in checkers work fine. If you manage to plug into 220 (in N. America) they glow double bright. They also check for hot/neutral reverse and lack of ground.

Most sensitive gear has emi/rf filtering built in already (at least as good as cheap power strips.

If you aren't spending multi hundreds of bucks you are probably wasting your money ... of course if it helps you sleep at night, it is your money!

btw ... MOVs usually burn out after a couple of trips so how would you know if yours was really working anyways

• Members

Originally posted by dboomer

btw ... MOVs usually burn out after a couple of trips so how would you know if yours was really working anyways

Very true, often they fail short circuit with breaker opening, but they can fail open circuit too, but usually there will be some "mess" associated with that kind of failure!

Testing requires special equipment to limit conduction rnergy, but it generally involves discharging a HV cap through a current limiting resistor into the MOV at a known voltage.

• Members

OK - I did a search...and this subject needs more discussion!

Originally posted by agedhorse

Testing requires special equipment to limit conduction rnergy, but it generally involves discharging a HV cap through a current limiting resistor into the MOV at a known voltage..

errr - more'n what I needed to know... glad that I helped to start a bit o' conversation...

Hmmm - what this does mean is .... If ya pick up a used Furman - ya might want it checked out - as there's no obvious way to know if the thing's been fried...

Thanks! That is useful info! - I see used Furmans at the local GC all da time.. I now know that it's better to buy new.

Also - stay away from cheap.

Damn power strip is looking better ...

• Members

Hmmm - what this does mean is .... If ya pick up a used Furman - ya might want it checked out - as there's no obvious way to know if the thing's been fried...

Technically, probably a good idea!

They don't really fail all THAT often though.

• Members

MOVs are cheap and easily replaced if you're worried about it.

btw ... anybody out there ever had anything blow from a power surge that you KNOW was actually a power surge. Repair guys will tell you that sometimes but they're just guessing. In 30 some years of doing this the only problem I've ever had was to lose some filter caps in a guitar amp when it was run off of a way too small generator. I mean I guess you're screwed if you took a lightning bolt but how often does it really happen?

• Members

Originally posted by dboomer

MOVs are cheap and easily replaced if you're worried about it.

btw ... anybody out there ever had anything blow from a power surge that you KNOW was actually a power surge. Repair guys will tell you that sometimes but they're just guessing. In 30 some years of doing this the only problem I've ever had was to lose some filter caps in a guitar amp when it was run off of a way too small generator. I mean I guess you're screwed if you took a lightning bolt but how often does it really happen?

Very true, I've seen only a couple in over 25 years, and MOV's won't protect from the gennny problem OR a real lightning strike anyway.

• Members

a genny is a generator. a petrol/diesel motor that generates electricity. and i think both agedhorse + dboomer were talking about the fact that they don't give out very clean power and may surge or not give out enough juice, please correct me if i am wrong.

NMR

• Members

Originally posted by thunderpaw

I put a RackRider power 'condtioner' in my rack. Not for EMI/RFI. Not for protection from other than minor surges. Simply it was a clean and convenient way to power up all of my effects devices in my rack. No more. No less.

Kim

And that's an excellent reason... you know exactly what you are getting, why and for what cost. With that data you can make an informed decision.

Archived