Annual PA post. What the hell do I do with it.

• Members

Hi, I wanted to post this now that there are a few more people on this forum, and especially now that there are a couple of aussies. I have posted this before to luke warm response.

I'm trying to figure out what the hell I'm doing with my PA system, I would like to start running it for bands but I don't know if it is up to standard (I'm not talking about big shows here) It is definately better than the PA's that my cover band hires for our shows. (the only times we have used better is for fixed installations in big clubs).

I have a lot of decent equipment but in the wrong quantities to do anything really well. Based on what I have got, what would you keep, what would you chuck (sell) and what would you advise that I still need to get. After that, what sort of venue would you use this level of PA in?

A lot of this I bought a few years back when I had money but not a clue on what was needed. As such I have quite a collection of 15" bass cabs for example and there are only so many you can use.

I do have a good monitor rig, plenty of graphic eq's and a pretty decent amount of power to work with.

Available Equipment:

Tascam M1016 8 mono + 4 stereo mixer.

2 aux sends (pre or post) 4 effect sends but only 2 per channel 1 or 2, 3 or 4.

Behringer virtualiser (reverb) (I know, I bought it a long time ago)

Behringer dual 31band eq (I know again)

Ross single 31 band eq

Roland single 31 band eq (needs repair)

Toa Single 10 band eq, semi parametric bands

Dbx 166xl compressor (run for bass and kick?)

Peavey PV 2000 power amp 2ohm stable up to 1000 per side

Yamaha P3200 power amp 4ohm stable up to 500 per side (I think)

ZPE 500 power amp 4ohm stable up to 250 per side

ZPE 600 power amp 4ohm stable up to 300 per side

Jands J600s. 8ohm stable (4 if your lucky) up to 200 per side

2 Ev 8ohm wedges - compression drivers

3 etone 8ohm wedges - compression drivers

2 etone 2x15 and horn cabinets - currently 16ohm, could be made 4

2 etone 1x15 and horn cabinets (need diaghram replaced in one) 8ohm - with speaker stands.

4 etone 1x15 bass cabinets (not subs) 8ohm - all mismatched, no matched pairs.

1 Unknown 2x15 sub cabinet, currently 2 ohms, probably will be made 8

2 altec lansing big 2" compression drivers - need horns and cabinets.

2 extra 12" speakers, work fine but not very good.

1 sm58

1 sm57

2 ramsa vocal mics

1 audio technica vocal mic

several (3 or 4) low quality mics - not awful, just not good.

1 rode NT-3

4 par 58's and several par 36's. 2 stands. No contoller.

Sansamp bass driver DI, no ordinary DI's

Usual speaker cables, mic cables, patch cables etc.

• Members

WOW!! Thats quite a colection of..... stuff:eek:

not really sure what to recomend.

"4 etone 1x15 bass cabinets (not subs) 8ohm - all mismatched, no matched pairs"....

am i right in thinking these are bass guitar speaker bins?

It seems you only have one sub cabinet, the unamed 2x15. have any idea how much power she can handle? even if you run 1200 watts into it (and i can't believe it could reasonably handle any more than this) you still aren't in mega loud land.

You have no crossover listed...don't have one?

Here's another way of looking at it... as i guy who has hired pa a few times, or ahd freinds who have, i know what i expect.

I want at least 3 58's for vocals. There are probably at least 2 of us who think we can sing even if we can't, plus the actual singer. We want 58's cause we have never heard of anything else.

We want you to have a DI for the bass, probably a second for an accoustic for the singer, and maybe a 3rd incase the guitarist wants to get all mellow as well. Thr B word is fine here, we don't even know what a DI really does. I wan't a 57 (again cause i've not heard of much else) on the gtr cab, maybe get away with some other mic if there is a second guitar cab.

We want subs.... you have this covered in appearances at least. i don't know whether your "mystery sub" sucks or rocks, but at least it looks big and like a sub.

We also want to mike the drums, or at least the kick.

you also need a snake.

for all that you could charge between $100 and $200 a night (plus gst ;) ), assuming you know what you are doing behind the desk.

• Members

The first time I hired myself out, all I used was a 12 channel mixer, 2 mains, 2 monitors, and a few mics. I still don't own any lights. If I could do that, you can use this stuff.

But to add to the list. You definitely need a crossover of some sort. You need a few more mics, including drum mics, and a snake, for sure. Beta 57's work great on almost everything. 150' is a good length for a snake, but you can probably get by on 100'. You can use all the cables you can fit in a case. Make sure you have good power. I don't know if there's a standard there, but here a decent small club will have a 50A recepticle to plug in to, so you'd want a distro. And get some good power cords, 12/3 or 14/3 SO is great, but at least make sure they're bigger than 16 gauge, and black. Make sure you've got one that's at least as long as your snake. Multi-outlet cords work great for cross stage runs for guitar amps and such. And you didn't mention stands. I'd say carry at least 6 booms and maybe a few straight mic stands. Cases make the whole thing move easier, and they make you look good too. People who don't know what they're doing don't have cases. Have casters on the big/heavy stuff. You might want to add some more compression at some point, but that's not absolutely necessary. Most bands don't need a light show, just some lights to be pointed at them, so you can add control and other stuff when you get a chance. Make sure your speakers and subs are adequate, and you should be fine. Sorry if that turned into a lot of stuff.

• Members

I don't think power is such a problem here as we have 240 volt system instead of 110(?). If i remember my high school physics, this means we can run twice as much stuff off a standard wall socket before we get into trouble. Consequently i've never seen anyone plug in a "dsitro". I have heard of 3 phase, which the occasional place has, but i'm not sure on exactly what this is.

Clearly i am not an expert.

• Members

Don't worry about 3 phase, you probably don't need it, and it's dangerous if you don't know what you're doing.

And your right on the 240v thing.

And a small distro like I'm talking about takes a high amperage circuit, like a 50A outlet, and basically breaks it down into several standard circuits. Everything is essentially running on the same circuit, the 50A one, so you eliminate some problems with ground loops, and you can help avoid killing someone if something is wired wrong. It's always best if you know exactly how your power is set up. There's nothing I hate more than walking into a club and seeing only a few outlets on the stage, which may or may not be on the same circuit. Well, there are a few things I hate more than that, bit not many.

• Members

3 phase info:

3 phase is common in Aus, and standard outlets found in many clubs and pubs around the country is 30amps per leg at 240V (415V between legs). Standard dimmer racks here run 3 phase 30A plugs, and a disto which can break this down to 6 x 15A outlets is a very handy item when the venue has only one 10A outlet anywhere near the stage. Your local electrician can easily make up one of these distros.

I assume the 2x15 Etones are the old 1507 or 1508 boxes? - reasonable box but do need a proper sub. Apart from the afformentioned mics, stands and snake, I would recommend getting some subs (even if they are old W-bins or CerwinVega Eathquakes which can be picked up second cheap), a crossover (maybe even s/h Jands JX5) and a better desk (s/h mixwizard recommended).

BTW I never had any problem running the old J600s on 4ohms - seemed to be quite reliable IF you keep em cool (fan cooling is a must on these) - good old reliable amps.

Cheers

• Members

Originally posted by matt emery

WOW!! Thats quite a colection of..... stuff:eek:

not really sure what to recomend.

That's basically what I think of it at the moment.

"4 etone 1x15 bass cabinets (not subs) 8ohm - all mismatched, no matched pairs"....

am i right in thinking these are bass guitar speaker bins?

Essentially, a couple have piezo horns and were originally intended as PA front of house (I presume) I'm thinking possibly side fill or something.

It seems you only have one sub cabinet, the unamed 2x15. have any idea how much power she can handle? even if you run 1200 watts into it (and i can't believe it could reasonably handle any more than this) you still aren't in mega loud land.

You have no crossover listed...don't have one?

No idea how much the subs can handle, they are an old aussie brand 'NESSEL' and I have been able to find no info on them. Looking at the magnets they may take 400-500 each??

I do have a crossover built into the Peavey 2000. It can run one or both sides as a sub and then run highs to another amp.

Here's another way of looking at it... as i guy who has hired pa a few times, or ahd freinds who have, i know what i expect.

I want at least 3 58's for vocals. There are probably at least 2 of us who think we can sing even if we can't, plus the actual singer. We want 58's cause we have never heard of anything else.

We want you to have a DI for the bass, probably a second for an accoustic for the singer, and maybe a 3rd incase the guitarist wants to get all mellow as well. Thr B word is fine here, we don't even know what a DI really does. I want a 57 (again cause i've not heard of much else) on the gtr cab, maybe get away with some other mic if there is a second guitar cab.

We want subs.... you have this covered in appearances at least. i don't know whether your "mystery sub" sucks or rocks, but at least it looks big and like a sub.

We also want to mike the drums, or at least the kick.

you also need a snake.

for all that you could charge between $100 and $200 a night (plus gst
;)
), assuming you know what you are doing behind the desk.

Ok, I know I need a couple of DI's (beyond the bass DI I have). The ramsas do a decent job for vocals but don't have that classic '58 look - I'll live with them until I can afford something more trustworthy to the general public.

I forgot that I do have access to a snake (belongs to a friend, he doesn't have enough pa left to use it with). 16 channels (not all working) and I get the impression it's maybe 20' long.

• Members

Originally posted by B. Adams

And you didn't mention stands. I'd say carry at least 6 booms and maybe a few straight mic stands. Cases make the whole thing move easier, and they make you look good too. People who don't know what they're doing don't have cases. Have casters on the big/heavy stuff.

I have plenty of stands for the mics I've got (more maybe) - I think exactly 6 booms, 2 straight and a couple designed for kick / guitar mics. I'll get more as I get more mics.

I have cases for most things: the mixer and the peavey amp have their own boxes. I also have a ragone drum case for the mic stands and at this time about 3-4 black milk crates for cables.

I have a 12 unit rack that I can put 3 of the power amps in (heavy) and a 10 unit effects rack (not deep enough for amps).

I probably need smaller racks to distribute the amp weight better.

At this point I'm running with a 2 wheel trolley for carrying things, modified slightly (longer base).

• Members

Originally posted by Centauri

I assume the 2x15 Etones are the old 1507 or 1508 boxes? - reasonable box but do need a proper sub. Apart from the afformentioned mics, stands and snake, I would recommend getting some subs (even if they are old W-bins or CerwinVega Eathquakes which can be picked up second cheap), a crossover (maybe even s/h Jands JX5) and a better desk (s/h mixwizard recommended).

BTW I never had any problem running the old J600s on 4ohms - seemed to be quite reliable IF you keep em cool (fan cooling is a must on these) - good old reliable amps.

Cheers

The Etones are 1507's with the eminar horns. I am going to look for subs but it may take up to a year before I can afford them (finishing my advanced diploma first - in the meantime I'm living off austudy and gig money).

What price are you talking when you say second cheap?

The Peavey amp includes a crossover.

A better desk I have not considered yet, the tascam seems to be suited to my needs at the moment (at least until I get more mics). Would the mixwiz be a step up in quality or only in quantity?

• Members

Cheers

The one I have isn't fan cooled, but I've never run it at 4ohms. It has died 3 times and taken out a speaker each time (once only a couple of seconds into a gig - so heat wouldn't have been a problem there).

• Members

Originally posted by moody

The Etones are 1507's with the eminar horns ..........

What price are you talking when you say second cheap?

Would the mixwiz be a step up in quality or only in quantity?

The 1507s were quite reasonable - the 1508s had better HF flares.

I meant "second hand cheap" in my post - typing too fast.... You may be able to pick up some old W bins empty and load them with your unused Etone 15s - call Neil Smith at Rock'n'Roll Music or Michael Orland at T-Pac (both in Sydney).

The Mixwizard will be both - excellent build quality for reliabilty and great features.

The J600 amps are usually reliable, but as they have no DC protection, can take out speakers in the event of failure. Standard they are not fan cooled, and quite often users mount fans on a rack back panel - I used to mount 2 130mm fans direct to the heatsink fins.

Cheers

• Members

3 phase is common in Aus, and standard outlets found in many clubs and pubs around the country is 30amps per leg at 240V (415V between legs). Standard dimmer racks here run 3 phase 30A plugs, and a disto which can break this down to 6 x 15A outlets is a very handy item when the venue has only one 10A outlet anywhere near the stage. Your local electrician can easily make up one of these distros.

:

can i ask some more questions on this... be gentle this is my first time trying to understand power issues as they relate to my music job.

so standard outlet in my house has 2 "plugs" and between them i can pull 10 amps before i blow a fuse?

a drummer in an old band had a plastic box with about 12 double plug power points in it. i couldn't see how this was anything other than a glorified power board.... is this what a "distro" is?

Ok, that's enough dumb questions for now, i obviously know less about this than i realised

• Members

I don't think power is such a problem here as we have 240 volt system instead of 110(?). If i remember my high school physics, this means we can run twice as much stuff off a standard wall socket before we get into trouble. Consequently i've never seen anyone plug in a "dsitro". I have heard of 3 phase, which the occasional place has, but i'm not sure on exactly what this is.

Clearly i am not an expert.

For the year and a half my first successful band gigged steadily, we set up a big sound system and a full lighting rig (16 PAR 64 cans on three packs) without knowing a darn thing about power. I still don't know a darn thing about electricity. Now that I look back on it I'm lucky I didn't get hurt, especially with the stupid things we did (like lifting the ground plug on the power amps).

To be perfectly honest though, we usually just showed up at a bar and plugged things in. We only had problems with blowing breakers every once in a great while. Otherwise we just plugged in and got going, not knowing a dang thing about volts or circuits or gigawatts or thunderbolts. I have decided that if I ever need to do anything beyond just plugging a cord into a wall, I'm going to hire a pro to do it.

• Members

The 12 outlet thing you're talking about is essentially a distro, when loosely defined, but it sounds more like a power strip. If it plugged into a standard wall outlet, then it's a power strip.

A distro will take a higher amperage outlet, and break it down into something usable. Here, it's a 50A 120/220v plug, which has a total 4 conductors, 2 hots, a neutral, and a ground. The 2 hots are 50A each. A distro would take those and turn it into a few standard 15 or 20A edison outlets, each with a seperate breaker, preferrably. Half of the outlets would be on one leg, half on the other.

A 3 phase distro does essentially the same thing, only with 3 legs, and usually a higher amperage. If the amperage is high enough, a single plug and recepticle isn't practicle, so it's plugged in directly. In this case, usually each conductor is in a completely seperate cable, really big ones, like 2/0 or 4/0. These can have connectors on them, like camlocks, so you can disconnect them. Usually there will be a bunch of this feeder cable that plugs into a big distro with camlocks, and then on the other end there's another set of camlocks. A short length of feeder plugs in at that end, with camlocks on the end that goes to the distro, and bare wire on the end that gets tied in to the main panel. Hopefully that makes sense.

Smaller 3 phase systems could have a recepticle of some sort, which you could just plug into, but those aren't common here. Well, that's not necessarily true, but 3 phase with a neutral and ground are not common here, and you want to have a seperate neutral and ground. Many things here use a 4 wire 3 phase plug, like tools and motors and such, but I woudn't plug anything but tools into them. It's hard to find 5 wire 3 phase connectors over 30A, and 50A and 100A 3 phase connectors are pretty expensive, and not easy to get ahold of. But I doubt anyone has one of those you can plug into anyway. They're used mostly for connecting different things within your system. If 30A 3 phase is what's commonly available down there, you may want to look into getting a distro to tie in to that. Just make sure you know what you're doing.

• Members

The 1507s were quite reasonable - the 1508s had better HF flares.

I meant "second hand cheap" in my post - typing too fast.... You may be able to pick up some old W bins empty and load them with your unused Etone 15s - call Neil Smith at Rock'n'Roll Music or Michael Orland at T-Pac (both in Sydney).

The Mixwizard will be both - excellent build quality for reliabilty and great features.

The J600 amps are usually reliable, but as they have no DC protection, can take out speakers in the event of failure. Standard they are not fan cooled, and quite often users mount fans on a rack back panel - I used to mount 2 130mm fans direct to the heatsink fins.

Cheers

I meant what sort of price are you talking about?

I have the fane speaker cabinet design book, and I can make up a couple (or 4) W bins easily enough but I got the impression that the bins had to be designed around specific speakers?

Also, if I want to make up more than two W bins with identical speakers in them I'll have to take apart the 1507's and use the smaller 1x15 + horn cabinets for mains. (which I'd actually prefer, If I'm going to be dragging around huge cabinets I'd prefer them to be subs not mains).

All this and I'd be seriously running out of van room.

I have a pair of Jbl k140's that need reconing. Would these be significantly better for any particular purpose than the etones? (would they be better as mains speakers for example).

• Members

Moody

You provide a good example why buying one of this and one of that (basically collecting) is not a good idea in the long run. When it comes to putting together a rig that makes sense, things don't quite go together well. Standardization is the key to simplicity, even though it may cost a little more up front, it's way cheaper in the long run.

I do understand the collecting thing though... I did it in the early days until I embarrased myself one time too many. Now we standardize on damn near everything and it's so easy to put something together that we don't have to worry aboiut the details, thay are automatically taken care of.

• Members

Originally posted by agedhorse

Moody

You provide a good example why buying one of this and one of that (basically collecting) is not a good idea in the long run. When it comes to putting together a rig that makes sense, things don't quite go together well. Standardization is the key to simplicity, even though it may cost a little more up front, it's way cheaper in the long run.

I do understand the collecting thing though... I did it in the early days until I embarrased myself one time too many. Now we standardize on damn near everything and it's so easy to put something together that we don't have to worry aboiut the details, thay are automatically taken care of.

I haven't 'collected' as such for a couple of years. The worst of the 'collected' equipment is the earliest stuff I bought, including several things I haven't listed here as they are unusable:

several bass bins - I collected these for a while

that sub cabinet (may be good but I don't know?)

6 ancient goodmans 15" PA speakers 25w rms 4ohm

a shure compressor / mixer (weird mix)

a couple of low powered (30-60watt) mixer / amps

A couple of 4 x 6" column speakers

A non working 150watt bass amp

4 gig worthy guitar amps (and I barely ever play guitar)

The only things I've bought recently are for specific purposes. The Peavey amp, speaker stands, 3 12" speakers (the ones in the wedges aren't cutting it) and 2 15" replacement speakers (cheaper than getting recones and I can always sell the bass bins loaded).

In addition, several items have basically been given to me (I didn't buy them) the 1507's, 1 of the zpe's and a couple of bass bins.

• Members

What I was saying was...

For amps, buy all the same brand and model line (like all PLX or all RMX) so that if you need to add or subtract gear, it all goes together and generally you won't have difficulties with grounding or levels between pieces etc. Another benefit is that the chassis are all the same format so if you use rear support rails everything lines up without dicking with it. A rack is also easier to wire when the power cables come off of the same side, etc.

Another example with consoles... by staying with the same brand, (within model catagories anyway) harnesses will be the same, generally power supplies are the same (there are exceptions though) and general orientation of controls and signal routing will be the same. More efficient.

• Members

I've found with a 'collection' like this as long as you are color co-ordinated you should do fine :)

Seriously, if I were stuck on a desert island, I'd make it work. Other than that I'd simplify and standardize. It will help out a lot when things don't go according to plan.

• Members

Hi, I wanted to post this now that there are a few more people on this forum, and especially now that there are a couple of aussies. I have posted this before to luke warm response.

I'm trying to figure out what the hell I'm doing with my PA system, I would like to start running it for bands but I don't know if it is up to standard (I'm not talking about big shows here) It is definately better than the PA's that my cover band hires for our shows. (the only times we have used better is for fixed installations in big clubs).

I have a lot of decent equipment but in the wrong quantities to do anything really well. Based on what I have got, what would you keep, what would you chuck (sell) and what would you advise that I still need to get. After that, what sort of venue would you use this level of PA in?

A lot of this I bought a few years back when I had money but not a clue on what was needed. As such I have quite a collection of 15" bass cabs for example and there are only so many you can use.

I do have a good monitor rig, plenty of graphic eq's and a pretty decent amount of power to work with.

Available Equipment:

Tascam M1016 8 mono + 4 stereo mixer.

2 aux sends (pre or post) 4 effect sends but only 2 per channel 1 or 2, 3 or 4.

Behringer virtualiser (reverb) (I know, I bought it a long time ago)

Behringer dual 31band eq (I know again)

Ross single 31 band eq

Roland single 31 band eq (needs repair)

Toa Single 10 band eq, semi parametric bands

Dbx 166xl compressor (run for bass and kick?)

Peavey PV 2000 power amp 2ohm stable up to 1000 per side

Yamaha P3200 power amp 4ohm stable up to 500 per side (I think)

ZPE 500 power amp 4ohm stable up to 250 per side

ZPE 600 power amp 4ohm stable up to 300 per side

Jands J600s. 8ohm stable (4 if your lucky) up to 200 per side

2 Ev 8ohm wedges - compression drivers

3 etone 8ohm wedges - compression drivers

2 etone 2x15 and horn cabinets - currently 16ohm, could be made 4

2 etone 1x15 and horn cabinets (need diaghram replaced in one) 8ohm - with speaker stands.

4 etone 1x15 bass cabinets (not subs) 8ohm - all mismatched, no matched pairs.

1 Unknown 2x15 sub cabinet, currently 2 ohms, probably will be made 8

2 altec lansing big 2" compression drivers - need horns and cabinets.

2 extra 12" speakers, work fine but not very good.

1 sm58

1 sm57

2 ramsa vocal mics

1 audio technica vocal mic

several (3 or 4) low quality mics - not awful, just not good.

1 rode NT-3

4 par 58's and several par 36's. 2 stands. No contoller.

Sansamp bass driver DI, no ordinary DI's

Usual speaker cables, mic cables, patch cables etc.

dude, i noticed you have a ross systems single band eq. i have one by them and i posted a thread when i first came to this forum. do you know anything about that eq? a website? price ranges for their single 31 band eq's? has anyone else ever heard of ross systems? any help would be apreaciated fellas. thank you. apreciate it:)

• Members

Originally posted by lucho_84

dude, i noticed you have a ross systems single band eq. i have one by them and i posted a thread when i first came to this forum. do you know anything about that eq? a website? price ranges for their single 31 band eq's? has anyone else ever heard of ross systems? any help would be apreaciated fellas. thank you. apreciate it:)

OK, all I know:

Single space 31 band eq with 40h roll off.

Got it from a friend (it's sort of borrowed) he has another and probably originally got them second hand. No idea about original or current price, web site or anything.

I remember a post here that said the 2 rack space models are really good but didn't say a thing about the one rack space models.

I've been using it essentially as a bass preamp for about 6 months (I've got to get a real preamp). It's quiet and does the job (which is what you want from an eq).

• Members

I'd get at least a 16 channel board (pref. 24) with at least 6 aux sends, with all sends available on all channels.

I read magazines about pro tours using a dozen or more monitor mixes and I'm amazed at how cool people think it is that I can give them 4 mixes. Little things like that make a differencein people's perception of your service.

Somebody mentioned DI's. I'd have at least 4, maybe 6. Bass and 2 acoustic guitars have already been mentioned. What was left out were keyboards and other synths (guitar/wind). That stuff sucks up DI's fast. Make sure they all have ground lifts.

Don't trust the line out on a bass amp. Try it, and if it works well w/o noise, then use it. But have a DI handy. In my club, I don't think I've ever had a bass amp line out work w/o noise. (fault of the venue, not the amps)

Regarding mics: a minimum of 4 SM58's and 5 SM57's, plus some condensors for overheads and certain other acoustic instruments. Some other dynamics, like 421's would be nice, too.

-Dan.

• Members

Originally posted by IsildursBane

Somebody mentioned DI's. I'd have at least 4, maybe 6. Bass and 2 acoustic guitars have already been mentioned. What was left out were keyboards and other synths (guitar/wind). That stuff sucks up DI's fast. Make sure they all have ground lifts.

Don't trust the line out on a bass amp. Try it, and if it works well w/o noise, then use it. But have a DI handy. In my club, I don't think I've ever had a bass amp line out work w/o noise. (fault of the venue, not the amps)

Line out of a bass amp?? The sansamp bass driver is the one DI I actually have. I play bass regularly and don't actually own a bass amp.

I'm going to start looking for budget (I didn't say cheap) second hand DI's and high quality mics.

• Members

Line out of a bass amp?? The sansamp bass driver is the one DI I actually have. I play bass regularly and don't actually own a bass amp.

I meant don't trust the bass amp that the band brings. You're talking about renting out this system, right?

-Dan.

• Members

Originally posted by IsildursBane

I meant don't trust the bass amp that the band brings. You're talking about renting out this system, right?

-Dan.

Yep, I'd use the sansamp rather than a bass amp line out.

Archived