How Can I Determine What Part of a Monitor is Not Working?

• Members
Originally posted by Achilleos

I have a monitor and the horn is not putting out any sound. How can I tell if the horn is dead or if it's the crossover or something else maybe?

Its pretty simple common sense. Take a battery directly to the horn driver terminals and see if you get a healthy click. If that is positive,then try it before the crossover and see what happens. You should be able to narrow down where the loss occurs.

• Members

Originally posted by tlbonehead

Its pretty simple common sense. Take a battery directly to the horn driver terminals and see if you get a healthy click. If that is positive,then try it before the crossover and see what happens. You should be able to narrow down where the loss occurs.

You will want to do it quickly if it's a small horn driver. Don't let the battery sit on the terminals.

Guest Anonymous

Originally posted by agedhorse

You will want to do it quickly if it's a small horn driver. Don't let the battery sit on the terminals.

And: Don't use a crisp new 9V onna comp driver... but use a fairly spent 9V.

• Members

If that is positive,then try it before the crossover and see what happens.

Having never actually tried it this way but ... I don't think the battery is gonna work through the crossover because you ought to have a capacitor in series with the driver, and the cap won't pass DC (unless it it fried ... so if it does work then you DO have a problem :D )

It's most likely that you've fried the diaphram in the driver. If you have crossover damage. it's probably mechanical and you'll see something (mostly heavy pieces) broken off the board ... or ... there will be something that looks like charcoal and smells burnt.

Guest Anonymous

Unless there is a fuse or a lightbulb that has opened up.

Or solder melted and run out of where it's suspose to be.

• Members

I've always wondered what would happen if I hooked up one of these things to the terminals on a working speaker....

rodi_1829_8081773

• Members
Originally posted by dboomer

Having never actually tried it this way but ... I don't think the battery is gonna work through the crossover because you ought to have a capacitor in series with the driver, and the cap won't pass DC (unless it it fried ... so if it does work then you DO have a problem
:D
)

Didn't know that. With just a standard cap in front of the driver,I've always been able to get a small click when everything was good.

• Members

Didn't know that. With just a standard cap in front of the driver,I've always been able to get a small click when everything was good.

Yes, you will get a click because the dV/dT of the DC step makes the cap's impedance look like zero for an instant. What you get through is a spike or pulse.

Archived