MixWiz - Only 2 Stereo Inputs

• Members

Ok, so after looking a bunch of posts on this forum regarding small-format live mixer (great info, btw) - I have realized that instead of investing my hard-earned cash on a Mackie 1402 VLZPro - which is small, compact, light (only 9.5lbs.), inexpensive (now dropped down to $399.99, with the release of Mackie's new Onyx line) and has a nice complement of stereo channels (4) + mono mic inputs (6)... that I might be better served to spend it on a more expensive, but apparently much higher quality small format board for live use, such as the Allen & Heath Mix Wizard3 12:2.

Only thing is: I'm a keyboard player + would want to be able to use the board in both band/PA applications as well as for my keys, drum machine, sequencing, etc... so I could definitely use more than 2 stereo inputs - which is all that the MixWiz3 has. I also see that A&H makes the WZ20S model, which has 8 stereo channels - but it only has 4 mic. inputs. And the darn thing weighs 22lbs!

The Soundcraft Spirit M8, on the other hand, looks to be a nice mix of stereo inputs and mono mic. channels and weighs 18lbs. And although the MixWiz does have built-in effects (whereas the Spirit M8 doesn't), I can live without them - I already have a Lexicon MPX110 unit.

Are there any other good quality mixers out there with at least 4 stereo channels and at least 6 or 8 mic. inputs as well?

• Members

Originally posted by tremendo

Why not use the extra 8 channels as 4 stereo inputs? I use my MixWiz Stereo returns for effects, and an MP3 player goes into 2 regular channels, panned left and right.

Ok, I see your point - and I'm sure that works well for you.

But what I'm saying that in addition to at least 4 dedicated stereo inputs, I want the flexibility to have the mic. channels open (which have XLR/mic. inputs and pre-amps for microphones) and available for use - by microphones! ...as needed, of course :D

• Members

Originally posted by tremendo

Why not use the extra 8 channels as 4 stereo inputs? I use my MixWiz Stereo returns for effects, and an MP3 player goes into 2 regular channels, panned left and right.

That's what I would do... and the eq is better too.

• CMS Author

The XR-20 exceeds the requirement you gave (4 Stereo, at least 8 Mono). For less money, using mono channels as stereo on the Mixwiz is a quite acceptable and probably more flexible solution.

Regarding weight, you do know that it's okay to put them down during a performance.......;):D

• Members

Originally posted by Craigv

The XR-20 exceeds the requirement you gave (4 Stereo, at least 8 Mono). For less money, using mono channels as stereo on the Mixwiz is a quite acceptable and probably more flexible solution.

Regarding weight, you do know that it's okay to put them down during a performance.......
;):D

Ha ha - good one, Craigv :o

Yeah I can see your point.

I do like the layout of the Soundcraft Spirit M Series, though -

http://www.soundcraft.com/product_sheet.asp?product_id=24

...anyone have any experience w/the Spirit line?

• Members

he he...

Behringer UB2442FX. 8 mono XLR, 2 stereo w/ 1 XLR ea, 2 stereo only.

They work well for about 2 months, then buy another board.

pete

(actually the M12 is a great option, you could also keep the 1402 for a keys mixer and use a Mixwiz 16:2 since XLR channels are always at a premium)

Archived