Hometheatre receiver freq responce

• Members

This is slightly off topic, but I figure its close enough.

I'm thinking of buying a home theatre receiver, but I'm a project studio guy, so I want a frequency responce that is as flat as possible (so no bose) with good THD% and is priced right (so no bose), something like $100US for 100Wx2 and $200/$250 for 100Wx5

I'm not too picky since this is for HT, but I don't want huge scoops either, relatively flat is good.

Know where I can see graphs?

• Members

I don't think your going to find them.... they don't produce them for a reason.

I would consider first off that most amps are flat mostly.. and sound the basaclly the same untill you really start pussing them.

The 2 biggest factors are going to be your room, .. and your speakers...

did I say 2, .. I ment 3 , your room , your speakers, and your wife.

anyway - pick you reciever based on what conections and stuff you need, .. then pick out your speakers by LISTENING to them, .. and make sure you can take them back if you don't like them.

one last word of advise, a lot of people will by good left and right speakers , and then a 120$ center channel/satillite combo.

DON"T do that, .. the single most important speaker is the center channel, you want to spend coin, spend it there.

lastly, if your good with tools you can build your own.- partsexpress has all the stuff you need, even plans.

• Members

Originally posted by TimmyP

You get what you pay for. Several friends have Arcam surround stuff, and it sounds great:

I disagree. The vast majority of surround sound receivers are based on only a few chipsets, and some are just private-label or re-branded "your name here" stuff. These chipsets are supplied with recommended OEM application notes. Implimented features may differ, but the core remains remarkably the same. I know, I have experience with some of those applications.

There are exceptions, but not in the price range "jonmatifa"

mentions in his post.

• Members

thanks aged ... that is what I was trying to say.

Get teh fetures you want, .. cause you are not really going to notice a diferance in teh "quility " of the amps. (all IC stuff these days).

Speakers and room are the biggest factors.

• Members

Originally posted by jonmatifa

...something like $100US for 100Wx2 and $200/$250 for 100Wx5.

For a home theater receiver? I think you may have to raise your sights a bit, unless Behringer is making home theater receivers now.

Oh {censored}, I hope I didn't give them any ideas. :eek:

• Members

Originally posted by Mudbass

For a home theater receiver? I think you may have to raise your sights a bit, unless Behringer is making home theater receivers now.

Oh {censored}, I hope I didn't give them any ideas.
:eek:

There's a ton of stuff out there around that price. It's really unbelievable.

• CMS Author

I hate these things. I have a Sony system that's 3 years old, and the DVD player went out of calibration 3 days after the 90-day warranty expired. Just as matt emery stated, the power is rated at 10% distortion, so derate it by about 3000% to get the true gist of its capabilities.

On the other hand, I've still got my Pioneer SX-650 receiver purchased in 1978. It's rated 35wpc RMS, and will blow most of the 500w home theater systems away. After 27 years, the only thing wrong with it is the vinyl covering is shrunk in a couple places, and the bulb for one indicator is blown.

• Members

Originally posted by Craigv

On the other hand, I've still got my Pioneer SX-650 receiver purchased in 1978. It's rated 35wpc RMS, and will blow most of the 500w home theater systems away. After 27 years, the only thing wrong with it is the vinyl covering is shrunk in a couple places, and the bulb for one indicator is blown.

I was a warranty service center for Pioneer during the SX product line, I worked on a lot of them and they were pretty good for the most part. The fact that it is still working is remarkable in today's market. I still have an inexpensive Technics receiver (Panasonic for those of you 20 years and younger) that works flawlessly. Maybe this is why I design equipment with a potential lifespan of 20 years+... it's not really that difficult or expensive in the long run.

Archived