Best stand-alone PA speaker for bassist?

• Members

Hello,

I'm thinking of running my bass through a Sansamp DI box to a powered PA speaker set as monitor.

I'm considering the Yorkville NX550P, but I'm not sure that the 45Hz frequency response is up to snuff. Will I need a subwoofer? Are there other powered cabs I should consider?

Thanks,

Phil

• Members

You may get enough spill of the PA subs onto the stage to take care of the bottom. You may get better bottom on stage than if you had a "normal" bass rig, as there won't be the usual losses at various positions owing to comb filtering between the rig and the house. And your bass will sound a lot better in the house. (You should use a pre with an adjustabe high pass, as you may find that a high pass of 100Hz (or even a lot higher) will give the best result

• Members

I have an acoustic electic bass (that is a hand made probably from a Martin pattern), and Sans Amp RBI bass driver direct box, and NX 550P speakers. The bass sounds great going through them. Now if you have to compete with a bunch of Marshal double stacks or something... at some point there isn the question of volumve I guess... but it would have to be pretty dang loud before you would not be able to keep up I would think, and een then... differing placements of the 550 ought to make it work?

• Members

Not self-powered, but I ended up with a couple EV Force 15 cabinets for my electric upright bass. It's an oblong box about the same size as a typical trapezoid 2-way with 15" woofer. Great bottom, very musical for the bass. The highs come from a rather narrow-dispersion horn, so it's a little hard to hear the highs while standing near the box.

• Members
Originally posted by philthygeezer

Hello,

I'm thinking of running my bass through a Sansamp DI box to a powered PA speaker set as monitor.

I'm considering the Yorkville NX550P, but I'm not sure that the 45Hz frequency response is up to snuff. Will I need a subwoofer? Are there other powered cabs I should consider?

Thanks,

Phil

45HZ is plenty low enough. At least as low as most small to medium sized bas cabs are tuned. But I must ask you,what does a powered speaker give you for bass guitar that a similarly sized kickback bass combo wouldn't. I don't get it.

• CMS Author

Originally posted by philthygeezer

Hello,

Thanks,

Phil

That's a $900 rig. $500 will get you a Tech-21 Landmark 120, with the Sansamp built in. Just a thought.

Archived