Dual Kick Drum Mics

• Members

Recently, I have had a couple of opportunities to get the "inside" scoop from a couple of FOH engineers currently out on major tours.

I learned that they often use two mics on their kick to get the type of sound they're after. I've heard of that on snares, top and bottom micing, but never on a kick.

Anyone out there doing this? We have a Beta 91, a D112, and a D6. I have primarily been using the D6, but occasionally have nights where I'm chasing the kick feedback and have to gate it pretty heavily-- and, while I like the individual compressors, I hate the gates in the Presonus ACP88.

I like the naturalness sound of the Beta91, but the drive of the D6. I'm wondering if together I could get what I'm looking for?

Ideas? Suggestions?

• Members

Lots of people use 2 kick mics, some even use 3 and put one on the batter head. So go ahead and put your 91 inside, and put the D6 in the port, and blend to taste. You'll see why they do that. ;)

And really, the worst that could happen is that you won't like it all that much, and you'll either mute one of them or just not do it again next time. It does work well though.

And sorry, but using two kick mics won't fix your Presonus gates. Or your D112. ;)

• Members

Originally posted by rickkreuzer

I am really lightly compressing the kick. The drum "riser" in this particular club is pretty resonant, not being built well at all.

I use a mic stand that is floated on 3 turntable gum rubber shock mounts. Seems to help when the riser "rings".

• Members

Severely under-damped kick drum. Throw a big pillow in there.

Way-resonant riser and/or a big room mode - Needs to be tamed with a parametric on the kick channel (or the main mix - no way to tell form here).

I've never had a feedback problem with the kick, whether using my D6 or client's Beta52s.

The ACP88 gates ain't great, but they perform well enough - at least under normal circumstances (which you don't have it seems).

I just got a Rane G4, which is VERY nice, but you have problems that need to be solved by other means.

Archived