QSC RMX1850 or Crown CE 2000

• Members

What is the intended application? What impedence loads? Stereo or bridged?

I've used the CE2000. It delivered good, clear sound for a few weeks until something went wrong and it had to be sent in (under warranty). My memory is not good (happened 8 years ago)...I believe it was the input amplification circuit. Crown took care of it (excellent customer service!) but the down time was not pleasant as our dealer gave us a less than satisfactory amp as a temp substitute while the Crown was away.

I've heard that CE2000s and CE1000s have a track record of issues. You can do a search on them here. I think they were caused by the quality of components and factory quality control. I'm sure the other guys here will fill you in on that. Crown has probably rectified the issues by now but I prefer to stay away from the CE1000 and CE2000.

I've never had personal experience with the RMX1850 but I've used the 850, 1450 and 2450. All were solid performers and could deliver all night if treated properly. They can take a beating (up to a point, as with any gear). The 1850 has a HD (heavy duty) designation to it which implies that it handles 2 ohm and bridged loads well.

I am a big fan of the RMX line: great performance at fair prices. I've never had one go bad on me (knock on wood). In addition, you may want to take advantage of QSC's 6 year warranty offer which expires at the end of the year.

My pick would be the RMX1850.

V.

• Members

Originally posted by bilbo71070

Looking to buy two new amps. Can't decide between those two. They're close to the same price. Anyone have any advice? Thanks in advance.

Bill

I add another vote for the RMX. Had 2 for some time and never a problem. Even when in sub duty at 4 ohm bridged.

Dookietwo

• Members

Hands down the RMX 1850HD. It's actually a 2450 that's been "throttled" to give rock solid 2 ohm performance.

- Warranty (6 yrs versus 3)

- Limiters (the CE doesn't have em')

- 30Hz and 50Hz Low freq filters

- Smaller (2U instead of 3U)

- (Not intended to be a blanket statement about Crown amps) but my sound guy, who repairs pro audio "stuff" for a production company, just this week, said he's been fixing a ton of Crown amps lately (said pretty much everything but the K series). He's been doing this for only a couple of years, but said he's only ever had to fix ONE QSC amp ever. I suppose it could be that Crown amps are more prolific in this area so there are more to fix.

- QSC RMX amps are pretty much all we've used in the band for the last 5 yrs (probably a dozen 1450's/2450's between 3 different rigs) Never a hiccup. Including some 2 ohm use here and there.

• Members

Originally posted by abzurd

he's been fixing a ton of Crown amps lately (said pretty much everything but the K series).

Did he happen to mention exactly what he had to fix/replace? Power regulators, output MOSFETS, etc? I'm curious.

Also, if you happen to know, has he ever come across any faulty CE4000 units? I'd like to know if there are any recurring issues or shortcomings with that particular model. I'm interested in getting one: 3600 watts in a 34 pound chassis is highly tempting! :love:

V.

P/S Sorry for going slightly OT here.

• Members

I'm not sure if it was any one thing in particular. We were setting up for a gig so it wasn't an in depth discussion. Nothing catastrophic or he wouldn't be fixing, he'd be replacing. I also have no idea if they were 5 yrs old or 20. A general observation and certainly nothing scientific, just that he fixes a lot more Crown amps than QSC. Could be too that the company has sold a lot more Crowns than QSC's in the past so more service calls are for them.

Crown has a good reputation overall, but QSC is all I've really ever used. Given the feature set, if comparing the RMX with the CE I can't really see why anyone would pick the CE. It's a pretty "featureless" line. Given the target audience, no limiters seems foolish to me.

• Members

Originally posted by gruvjack

I've heard that CE2000s and CE1000s have a track record of issues. You can do a search on them here. I think they were caused by the quality of components and factory quality control.

IINM, it was a design problem that hampered the first run of these amps. Crown did rectify the design, but the amps still aren't robust performers (and no feature set.).

• Members

I also have to say QSC RMX and PLX series amps are very good, and rugged. Always worked and never gave me any problems. I always took care of them and never did any stupid things to create magic smoke either. The PLX line is my choice of the 2 QSC amps, but that isn't what's being asked. I've not used the crown amps, so I don't have an opinion for you on them.

Archived