Yamaha Club Series single 18" subs

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

They've worked OK for us, I was just curious what others were pushing them with. We don't have an ungodly stage voulme though, and when we play with bands that do I very politely tell them that if they don't turn down nobody will hear the drums.

I'd like to trade the Yamahas in for two really efficient subs and two reasonably sized and efficient tops to do clubs with 500 or less folks. I'll figure out what speakers those should be one day.

• Members

Originally posted by Phantasm

They've worked OK for us, I was just curious what others were pushing them with. We don't have an ungodly stage voulme though, and when we play with bands that do I very politely tell them that if they don't turn down nobody will hear the drums.

I'd like to trade the Yamahas in for two really efficient subs and two reasonably sized and efficient tops to do clubs with 500 or less folks. I'll figure out what speakers those should be one day.

I happen to have two Yorkville Elite LS808B's I'm selling VERY reasonable.

PM me if you're interested.

• Members

Nope no stock. I've just already got mostly yamie mains and monitors. They sound pretty good so I thought I might try their subs when the time comes. I did'nt care too much for the load rating on the single eighteen subs and thought the dual ones seemed a bit better rated for power handling.

I think that the dual eighteen cabs may be four ohms as well but I'm not positive of that.

• Members

I read the PFD and you are right they are four a ohm load with two eighteens. The power load of each cab is doubled the ability of the single eigteen though as well and a bit more besides. The single eighteen cab handles 600 watts program rating.

The two eighteen cab's program rating is 1,220 watts each for total of 2,440 watt total for both. With my QSC3600 it will put out 1,250 per side at four ohms bringing the total power out put on the subs alone to 2,500 watts.

Since I'm not a big fan of overly loud mic'ed kick drums it should serve my needs just fine and create a good balance with the mains. I use eight Yamie mains rated at 500 watts a piece program rating run by my other QSC 3400. So I am getting 425 watts per cab for eight cabs. Pretty loud and some excellent disperison.

The Yamie monitors and Fender backfills are run by my two Mackie 1400i's and very old Yamaha amp that refuses to die. So as you can see even though I favor my Yamaha board and cabs. I also favor different amps such as the QSC's and Mackie's.

It all works together well. So I'd say if you wanna pump a lot more power into Yamaha subs then the 2x18 cabs.

• Members
Originally posted by Q moder

I read the PFD and you are right they are four a ohm load with two eighteens. The power load of each cab is doubled the ability of the single eigteen though as well and a bit more besides. The single eighteen cab handles 600 watts program rating.

The two eighteen cab's program rating is 1,220 watts each for total of 2,440 watt total for both. With my QSC3600 it will put out 1,250 per side at four ohms bringing the total power out put on the subs alone to 2,500 watts.

Since I'm not a big fan of overly loud mic'ed kick drums it should serve my needs just fine and create a good balance with the mains. I use eight Yamie mains rated at 500 watts a piece program rating run by my other QSC 3400. So I am getting 425 watts per cab for eight cabs. Pretty loud and some excellent disperison.

The Yamie monitors and Fender backfills are run by my two Mackie 1400i's and very old Yamaha amp that refuses to die. So as you can see even though I favor my Yamaha board and cabs. I also favor different amps such as the QSC's and Mackie's.

It all works together well. So I'd say if you wanna pump a lot more power into Yamaha subs then the 2x18 cabs.

In real-world language,that means about 300 watts for the single driver cab and 625 for the dual model.

• Members

That bad! Wonder why? I have never had any problem with my other yamie cabs handling their rated power? They have a three guarantee somebody is paying for some speakers. Why rate something high and yourself up for problems. It does'nt make any sense.

I have never heard of yamie making any thing bad in the past. Wonder if these are made for them by some subcontractor?

• Members

That bad! Wonder why? I have never had any problem with my other yamie cabs handling their rated power? They have a three guarantee somebody is paying for some speakers. Why rate something high and yourself up for problems. It does'nt make any sense.

I have never heard of yamie making any thing bad in the past. Wonder if these are made for them by some subcontractor?

I would NOT say that is bad. We are discussing real-world ratings, and combined with reasonably high efficiencies, it is a much better solution that a speaker with twice the power rating but 3dB less efficiency/sensitivity.

Yes, with higher power used, speakers do fail under warranty and yes, the companies do eat some and they also reject some warranty claims. Without playing the "high powered rating game", they wouldn't be able to sell speakers against the competitiion who also does the same thing. The goal is to walk the fine line between warranty claims and marketing claims.

• Members

I have always read that its better to have slightly more power in your power amp than your speakers are rated for. So that the amp does not overdrive and damage your speakers.

This is said to the most common reason that speakers are damaged. Some of you would not happen to have enought power in your amps would you?

• Members

I have always read that its better to have slightly more power in your power amp than your speakers are rated for. So that the amp does not overdrive and damage your speakers.

This is said to the most common reason that speakers are damaged. Some of you would not happen to have enought power in your amps would you?

In my opinion, you have heard right. I look at it this way. You have a car, it has a 150 hp engine in it. - now you don't use all that power all the time right, ... you don't floor it off every light right? .. the extra power is there when you need it, .. but typically you don't use it.

So it is with teh power amp / speaker relationship. If you have say a 300 watt speaker, and a 300 watt amp. what happens is that when your amp runs out of juice, it starts to distort, ...in a very bad way. In fact basicial teh amp is being run with its petal to the floor, The part taht is going to suffer however is tah speaker, .. cause now, this poor speaker is going to try to reproduce this messy distorted bunch of crap come out of the amp. The speaker doesn't like this, and useally expresses its distain with smoke.

you can run in to problems with going over board on this though. Keep in mind, .. have someone who knows what they are doing is going to be the best protection you can buy.

• Members

If you search the live audio forum, we have discussed this in great depth. Some of us are amp designers and some of us also design speakers.

A LITTLE more power is vastly different than what we often see recommended. What can also happen is degrading of the suspension components of the driver over time, thus reducing it's performance and ending up with ultimate failure before it's time.

• Members

A vented sub is just a driver (speaker) in a box. The box is designed for a particular driver. Doesn't matter who builds the box. In the Club series, Yammie tells Eminence (IINM) what driver to build, and in order to keep the price very low, that driver is NOT the best performing 18.

It's all about the driver.

• Members

You do understand that program rating is ordinarily 2x the RMS,or truer rating of a speaker. As for your Yamaha generalized comment,they've made plenty of stuff that is at the bottom end of the price scale and therefore is not very good. The Clubs are decent enough,but that's about it. The super cheapo BR line is pretty bad.

Archived