Packing, Crating & Shipping

• Members

Hey everyone, I need to make arrangements to ship a medium sized PA (2 2x18 subs, 4 15" tops, 4 small monitors, 2 12u fully loaded racks, several small misc. cases, stands, bass combo amp, drum fill 15/12/1). I need it all packed and shipped from Honolulu to Boston...and I'm pretty nervous about everything going smoothly. I've heard some horror stories of mixers and cables going missing (anything w/o a serial number and specifically written down dissapeared on a fellow technician).

This will all be paid for by a large institution in the greater Boston area, but no word on the budget yet (guessing 10-15k for moving the PA, as well as a Dodge 250 V8 van, small passenger car, and a large apartment worth of stuff). I'm not too worried about shipping the cars and household items, I'm just feeling sketched about the PA. Help?

*more info on the move as it becomes official...just planning the big stuff now. Thanks in advance!

• Members

Originally posted by Ryan Yorck

Hey everyone, I need to make arrangements to ship a medium sized PA (2 2x18 subs, 4 15" tops, 4 small monitors, 2 12u fully loaded racks, several small misc. cases, stands, bass combo amp, drum fill 15/12/1). I need it all packed and shipped from Honolulu to Boston...and I'm pretty nervous about everything going smoothly. I've heard some horror stories of mixers and cables going missing (anything w/o a serial number and specifically written down dissapeared on a fellow technician).

This will all be paid for by a large institution in the greater Boston area, but no word on the budget yet (guessing 10-15k for moving the PA, as well as a Dodge 250 V8 van, small passenger car, and a large apartment worth of stuff). I'm not too worried about shipping the cars and household items, I'm just feeling sketched about the PA. Help?

*more info on the move as it becomes official...just planning the big stuff now. Thanks in advance!

Welcome to Boston!

• Members

I think you will find that you are better off selling what you have over there and just buying new (and/or opgrading at the same time) when you arrive at the states. Much of what you are shipping is the heavy, low value stuff. If shipping costs 30% of the replacement value of the gear, you might think about it. Resale value on the islands is higher than on the mainland so it could easily be a wash without the hassle.

I would also sell the vehicles there, as the cost of shipping a car BACK to the mainland is pretty expensive too. See if they will just give you a check for the shipping estimate, sell the stuff and buy new with the proceeds from the sale plus the shipping. That way you can choose exactly what you want for your new place.

Going the other way (to the islands) it definately makes sense to ship though because all the cost penalties go the other way.

• CMS Author

Ryan, I think your 15K guesstimate for moving all that (esp the two vehicles) will be considerably low, and agree with agedhorse that this is best done as a sell-and-buy move. *Possibly* keep the small light valuable items, and ship them with insurance via FedEx etc. Whenever possible have UPS or FedEx do the packing for you, as this matters when things go wrong and a claim must be filed.

All things considered it's still more likely better to sell the whole mess. Rumor has it there's someone in this forum near Boston who can sell you some decent new gear;)

• CMS Author

Originally posted by where02190

Sell the vehicles, ship the rest via Rockit. You can easily purchase vehicles when you get to your destination. (Check out
Craigslist Boston
for listings of used vehicles).

The rest can be shipped for well under your $15k budget through Rockit safe and secure.

Don't forget the apartment contents. Makes little sense to use Rockit to move couches and nightstands......:)

• Members

Oh man, I keep hearing this advice about selling. I wish I could say "I understand", but I can't honestly say that b/c I've never moved a great distance before. Nor have I ever had so much stuff to move either. I hear you guys, but try to understand where I'm comming from.

I'm pretty sure I can only use the money to actually move the items, so using the money to buy new stuff while shipping just a few items is (most likely) out. This is why I'm even considering moving everything, b/c it's paid for! You guys do have me wondering, however, how much $$$ it might cost me to move all this stuff such a HUGE distance. Is 15k really way too low?

In the past few months, I've upgraded my whole operation. I tracked down two empty 2x18 subs and refurbished them. I tracked down an older van with super low miles (94' with only 60k). I built a 3k watt tri-ampable amp rack (big deal for me!) and a nicely equipped monitor rack. I just started using this package together this year! I can't believe I did it on the budget I had, it was difficult with very limited options and high prices here. I did it by by waiting and waiting for good deals and clearance deals to come by, and scooped up the gear if I had the cash. I'm using peavey sp1-x speakers, APX-1841 loaded subs, and heavy QSC amps. I guess I should put a few things up on the local craigslist and see what response I get...but I'm worried about having to climb back down the gear ladder after just climbing up a few rungs.

I'd love to have lighter and more efficient speakers, but don't want to wait a year to save up the extra cash....I hope you guys see the ordeal. Young dude finally has a slamming system...but might have to sell it all right after putting it together! ARgGH!!:mad: You guys have me thinking though...I've been drooling over a powered elite system just as long (ef500p over ls800p).

• Members

Originally posted by agedhorse

I think you will find that you are better off selling what you have over there and just buying new (and/or opgrading at the same time) when you arrive at the states.

Resale value on the islands is higher than on the mainland so it could easily be a wash without the hassle.

See if they will just give you a check for the shipping estimate,

Going the other way (to the islands) it definately makes sense to ship though because all the cost penalties go the other way.

I'll start checking weighing out my options. I really have no idea what it's like to buy gear and cars on the mainland (or really much else about the cold cold mainland, really). Everything here is so prohibitively expensive, it's really all I've seen. I don't have much money to work with, and don't expect much returns on my gear...everyone wants it cheap, or displaying that cute square orange badge somewhere on the grill.

• Members

And, maybe buying something more appropriately sized for your new applications.

There's a lot to be said for staring over and buying newer, higher performance, lighter weight, compact stuff. It may cost a few bucks more but you could cut your size and weight down by a factor of 2 or 3. There IS some big savings in that.

• Members

Here's the short answer: I think there's something invaluable to the lessons learned by living in a number of different areas of the world. I've lived in Hawaii my whole life, and being only 23 I think it's time for me to experiencing something else. I have an opportunity to go experience something radically different from Hawaii, so I've gotta take it.

• Members

Originally posted by Ryan Yorck

Here's the short answer: I think there's something invaluable to the lessons learned by living in a number of different areas of the world. I've lived in Hawaii my whole life, and being only 23 I think it's time for me to experiencing something else. I have an opportunity to go experience something radically different from Hawaii, so I've gotta take it.

Yeah, wait until you have to shovel 3' of that "radically different experience" out of your driveway in the morning. :p

-Dan.

• Members

Originally posted by IsildursBane

Yeah, wait until you have to shovel 3' of that "radically different experience" out of your driveway in the morning.
:p

-Dan.

No kidding!

Hey, how many of you are ready for a radical change of experiences and want to move to Hawaii?:thu:

• CMS Author

Originally posted by agedhorse

No kidding!

Hey, how many of you are ready for a radical change of experiences and want to move to Hawaii?
:thu:

I think it's only fair that Dan gets to go....keeping the population balanced and all....:)

Well, one way to appreciate Hawaii is to spend some time in Boston:D

I wonder what the basic charge is to have a 40' standard container shipped from HI to MA. Or if all that stuff would fit. As containers go it would be relatively light...nowhere near its 60,000lb or higher gross. But it's still a gazillion miles....

Guest Anonymous

Originally posted by Craigv

I wonder what the basic charge is to have a 40' standard container shipped from HI to MA. Or if all that stuff would fit. As containers go it would be relatively light...nowhere near its 60,000lb or higher gross. But it's still a gazillion miles....

GOOD THINKING! I speculate it would be somewhere in the neighborhood of $3K dock to dock... and there wouldn't be any import duty taxes or any of that jazz.

A 40ft. container can handle about 2500 cubic feet of stuff.

• Members

Sure, a container can be stuffed full of crap, but where are you going to put all that when you get to Boston? Unless you've already got a house lined up, you're going to be looking for apartments or whatever, and in a big city storage space is definitely an issue.

Archived