Packing, Crating & Shipping

• CMS Author
Originally posted by Scodiddly

Sure, a container can be stuffed full of crap, but where are you going to put all that when you get to Boston? Unless you've already got a house lined up, you're going to be looking for apartments or whatever, and in a big city storage space is definitely an issue.

The container can stay on the ground at the port, and then be moved to a moving and storage warehouse for unloading, as it's doubtful he'll be permitted to unload at the port for space and safety reasons. Chances are good that he'll be in Boston long before the container arrives, makes it through Customs red tape and is available for unloading.

He'll need to look into any restrictions on the vehicles in containers...whether they can be shipped as is or perhaps need to be prepped like draining fuel, etc.

Giving it more thought, I doubt he'll fit the apartment contents...two vehicles will take up all the length of a 40, and he can only load into the van. A lot of space will be wasted above the vehicles unless special arrangements are made to build decking above them....that's costly and a major PITA, especially when he arrives in Boston. So it'll probably take a 40' and at least a 20'.

So let's see, based on Mark's $3K guesstimate, it'll be $5K for two containers, a couple thousand in HI to have movers pack, load and transport to the dock, about $25K to pay off the longshoremen in Boston to release the container......:D

Guest Anonymous
Originally posted by ctardi

The container also meansyou can put stuff in the vehicle. I wouldn't doubt it fitting. If it doesn't, get a better packer!

Hey, I know:

1) Throw a bunch of the loose household stuff in the container. Don't worry about "packing" it... that will come later... just pile it up on the floor.

2) Then pack the van FULL, of nice heavy stuff.

3) Then back the van into the container real fast (about 20mph). That should consolidate the loose stuff in the container nicely up against the end wall.

4) Throw a bunch more loose household on top of the van and drift it up in-front of the van.

5) Then pack the car full of nice heavy stuff.

6) Back the car into the container, again, at a high rate of speed. This will finish compressing the loose stuff. If the nose of the car doesn't clear the back of the container, take a couple more runs at it till it does clear.

7) Throw the last remainng stuff on top of the car, slam the doors on the container shut, and fly to Boston.:D

• Members
Originally posted by Audiopile

Hey, I know:

1) Throw a bunch of the loose household stuff in the container. Don't worry about "packing" it... that will come later... just pile it up on the floor.

2) Then pack the van FULL, of nice heavy stuff.

3) Then back the van into the container real fast (about 20mph). That should consolidate the loose stuff in the container nicely up against the end wall.

4) Throw a bunch more loose household on top of the van and drift it up in-front of the van.

5) Then pack the car full of nice heavy stuff.

6) Back the car into the container, again, at a high rate of speed. This will finish compressing the loose stuff. If the nose of the car doesn't clear the back of the container, take a couple more runs at it till it does clear.

7) Throw the last remainng stuff on top of the car, slam the doors on the container shut, and fly to Boston.
:D

Don't forget to insure everything for full replacement value. "I swear it was all fine when we left!"

-Dan.

• Members

Depending on the size of the van, that might not even fit in the container!

Probably be cheaper to load the container full of the stuff and ship the car(s?) separately. Or, as has been said... if {censored} sells for a lot in Hawaii, sell it and move, and buy stuff when you get here. Boston's a big city, I'm sure there are equipment deals to be had.

• Members

Originally posted by Zeromus-X

Depending on the size of the van, that might not even fit in the container!

Probably be cheaper to load the container full of the stuff and ship the car(s?) separately. Or, as has been said... if {censored} sells for a lot in Hawaii, sell it and move, and buy stuff when you get here. Boston's a big city, I'm sure there are equipment deals to be had.

How do you suppose vans get shipped overseas?

• Members

+1 on selling the stuff then replacing it when you get there. Shipping it is a big ole pain in the keyster.

You may not have the whole PA, but you can definately start by buying better gear one piece at a time and renting what you don't have.

And the vehicle...I'm sure that somewhere somewhat closer to Boston, you might find a good deal on another one. Who knows...you may even find a sweeter deal???

• 3 months later...
  • Members

Thanks for all the replies guys. I've decided to hold onto enough gear to keep doing buisness once I'm settled in Boston, just two tops, two subs, the amps, and a small monitor system. I've sold off a pair of tops, the smaller subs, and all my "B" rack gear to another small company. IF I can get rid of my other tops and come up with around $2k extra, I'm hoping to get my hands on some EF500p's or Yorkville U15P's when I get there...we'll see. As far as storge goes, we've got a rental lined up with a basement and a two car garage included, so I'm all set for a place to store and work on my gear.

I've got two weeks to get everything organized for the move, and I'm trying to prep my gear as best as possible for the move. I'm thinking stencils, engraving, hidden buisness cards (all ideas from thie forum). I'm also planning to lock up any cases I can. Any other ideas?

I've never had to engrave anything before, so I'm just looking for any tips or precautions I should know about. What should I engrave and where? My name? The company name? On the jack plate? On the rear panel of rack gear and amps?

• Members

Originally posted by fingerpicker

Ryan --Do you surf?

If you do regularly you will hate the move.

Nope, never been into surfing. With the recent record sewage spills and all run-off from our city streets, I hardly go in the water in Honolulu. I'm not looking for advice to go or stay, it's already been decided.

• Members
Originally posted by Ryan Yorck

Ok Gigman, I get it, I'll make sure to send you a postcard of my first day of snow shoveling!! OK, any other constructive comments out there?

Sorry dude - I didn't mean to double-post, don't know what happened there... I only meant to bust your chops once :p

Archived