Advice on small mixers.

• Members

I need a small mixer I can plug into my amp for vocals, I do a solo act with some jazz tunes and Wedding type music, I would like it to have some FX, mostly I just need reverb. I've seen some cheap, mixers which I think would do the job, all about $100.

In your opinion what would be a good mixer, here are some of the brands I seen that look like they would work.

Nady

Behringer

Alesis

I'm willing to consider some others as well.

Thanks!

• Members

Originally posted by Harmonycat

Spend a few dollars more and buy the Mackie DFX6 with a five band EQ in addition to the channel Hi/Low tone controls.

Much more versitile.

Solidly built....I have one for those little Coffee House Gigs and Tracks Shows.
:thu:

You say they are better built, where are they made? USA, Japan, China?

Thanks!

• Members

Actually, I said it was solidly built, not better built. Alesis may well have some fans, but guys on this site will generally tell you to run from the other two you mention.

It is Made in China.....and I have had no problems with it in over 100 gigs. You aren't getting Made in USA for those dollars.

The important thing is that for vocals and in use with effects even a five band EQ makes a big difference. The more effects you add, the more complex it becomes to attenute the frequencies.

It is also better for quick onstage adjustments with much finer tonal attenuation than just High/Low...typically 12k/80hz

Easily worth the money, particularly if you aren't using an EQ in the signal chain.

Don't know what Peavey or Yamaha offers in the small mixer market, but they are pretty good....however the Mackie DFX6 can be had for a reasonable price on E**Y.

• Members

Originally posted by The Boogie Man

I need a small mixer I can plug into my amp for vocals, I do a solo act with some jazz tunes and Wedding type music, I would like it to have some FX, mostly I just need reverb. I've seen some cheap, mixers which I think would do the job, all about $100.

In your opinion what would be a good mixer, here are some of the brands I seen that look like they would work.

Nady

Behringer

Alesis

I'm willing to consider some others as well.

Thanks!

The brands you've mentioned are the cheapest of the cheap. That said, there really isn't much out there in the "couple channels with effects" catagory that's not Nady, Behringer or Alesis. For a few $ more I'd look at the Yamaha MG8/2FX or consider a small mixer and rackmount effects unit. If I had to choose from the 3 I guess I'd go with the Alesis, but NOT because of where it's made. All my gear is manufactured in New Guinea. That's where the real quality is :rolleyes:

• Members

I just had a look at those Alesis 6FX and 8FX units....

They do not have sliders....which you want for one man shows.

And.....they use a walwart for power......you really don't want to go there if you can help it.

They are chinsy:eek: :(:confused::rolleyes: and a pain in the a**!

• Members

I have two music stores with in 100 miles of me and one has Behringer equipment and the other has Peavey. I'm sure I could trust Peavey equipment, my main system is an old Peavey powered mixer, but for a small mixer the dealer wants 3 times what the Behringer goes for about the same stuff yet both are made in China. I've heard pro and con on Behringer and not much bad about Alesis. I really don't need much but to operate 2 mic's, 1 vocal, 1 acoustic guitar and get some reverb in the mix, really don't need faders once it's set.

• Members

You said,

"for a small mixer the dealer wants 3 times what the Behringer goes for about the same stuff yet both are made in China."

I thought that meant you were looking at a particular Peavey model. I also have a hard time believing that statement.

SoundMan

• Members

Originally posted by The Boogie Man

I have two music stores with in 100 miles of me and one has Behringer equipment and the other has Peavey. I'm sure I could trust Peavey equipment, my main system is an old Peavey powered mixer, but for a small mixer the dealer wants 3 times what the Behringer goes for about the same stuff yet both are made in China. I've heard pro and con on Behringer and not much bad about Alesis. I really don't need much but to operate 2 mic's, 1 vocal, 1 acoustic guitar and get some reverb in the mix, really don't need faders once it's set.

Once again.. how about the Yamaha MG? :) It's cheaper than the beringer, and better..

• Members

Originally posted by SoundMan

You said,

"for a small mixer the dealer wants 3 times what the Behringer goes for about the same stuff yet both are made in China."

I thought that meant you were looking at a particular Peavey model. I also have a hard time believing that statement.

SoundMan

Ok maybe I overstated it a little but the Local Peavey Dealer is overpriced on everything, List Price is what he ask and won't deal much, you will pay less online.

Anyway I setteled on a Alesis 6FS. for $99. Because I like it the best. It should be here by Friday.

Archived