Is it ok to mic an amp by just wrapping it around the handle?

• Members

you know what I mean ...where they wrap the cable around the handle of the amp and let the mic hang down in front of the speaker but facing the floor. Me no like but maybe I'm wrong? We didnt have to lug our sound equipment so how much could I complain to the band whos stuff we were using?

maybe its ok?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Anonymous

Derek Trucks amp:

displayimage.php?album=7&pos=5

I dunno if the mic cord is looped around the handle, or held in-place by the good-luck charm? IMO: The hanging mic is of the correct type for the application, and appropriately placed.

• Members

Originally posted by Audiopile

Derek Trucks amp:

I dunno if the mic cord is looped around the handle, or held in-place by the good-luck charm? IMO: The hanging mic is of the correct type for the application, and appropriately placed.

just to resay what he said .. the hanging mic is SUPOST to be used like that.

• Members

I purchased a Sennheiser E609 recently and really love the convenience. I have a cool little boom for my sm57, but it's one more thing to lug and one more mic clip that can get broken if it's packed carelessly. I also have been playing gigs with a 15 watt tube amp in a chair beside me tilted at my ear, and the boom stand would be difficult to place. Convenience is good, especially when you're not sacrificing tone for it. Actually, the e609 is probably a little cleaner than the Shure as well.

• Members

I'm a major fan of 609's and 409's but I never hang them. First off they end up against the grill and you get vibration from the amp. If it's a metal grill, forget it, it'll be useless. Second, the chances if the mic getting moved around is greater than if it's on a stand or a z-bar.

Stands aren't that much money. A good guitar tone is priceless.

• CMS Author

Originally posted by Audiopile

Derek Trucks amp:

Looks as if the bass tone knob's doing alternate duty in placement of that mic. It also appears to be touching the grille. I've never heard any objectionable sounds by having a mic touch the grille, and I'm guessing Derek doesn't either, but what does he know?;)

• Members

Originally posted by Craigv

Looks as if the bass tone knob's doing alternate duty in placement of that mic. It also appears to be touching the grille. I've never heard any objectionable sounds by having a mic touch the grille, and I'm guessing Derek doesn't either, but what does he know?
;)

where was talking about metal grills, and even with a cloth grill I can imagine that a rubbing noise from the material rubbing against the mic is very possible. i think with the 609 you are usally saved by the fact that there is a lip around the amp that extends far enough from the grill to prevent this.

• CMS Author

Originally posted by milesdf

where was talking about metal grills, and even with a cloth grill I can imagine that a rubbing noise from the material rubbing against the mic is very possible. i think with the 609 you are usally saved by the fact that there is a lip around the amp that extends far enough from the grill to prevent this.

Seemed as if he implied all grills but especially metal. I for one haven't had any problems with any mic touching a cloth grille, and can't remember mic'ing a guitar cab with metal, but the cloth ones have never been a problem. In fact my guitarist hangs a 609 over his combo when it's tilted back on an amp stand so it's thoroughly in contact, and no vibration issues have come up. But as always, YMMV.

• Members

Likewise, I've been draping my 609 on my amp, which is tilted back on a chair. Noone's mentioned any funny noises yet. Of course, this isn't a super loud gig - a sax player sat in with us last Friday and did just fine unamplified.

• Moderators

Originally posted by DaBender

Likewise, I've been draping my 609 on my amp, which is tilted back on a chair. Noone's mentioned any funny noises yet. Of course, this isn't a super loud gig - a sax player sat in with us last Friday and did just fine unamplified.

Like Where said, just watch out for the metal grilles. I miked a Bogner last month and wondered what the little rattling noises were when I played it back. :o

Terry D.

• Members

Some tweed grills can be an issue also, or anything depending on the volume of the player and the content. If the player has a lot of low frequencies going on, but not alot of volume, even resting against the cloth grill can be an issue. IMHO it's worth the $25 for a stand, which makes it a non issue alltogether, not to mention that a hypercardiod like a 609 pressed up against the grill isn't going to capture much in the way of the full tone of the speaker anyway. I typically place 609's 2-4" from the grill at least.

• Members

It's not the cost of the stand. It's the hassle of hauling it, setting it up, maybe having different stands depending whether your amp is going to be on the floor or up on a chair, etc. I don't really think it's that difficult to understand.

• CMS Author

It's not the cost of the stand. It's the hassle of hauling it, setting it up, maybe having different stands depending whether your amp is going to be on the floor or up on a chair, etc. I don't really think it's that difficult to understand.

The price was a joke.

Are we really going to make an issue about setting up a mic stand????? A shorty stand with short boom can handle any cabinet out there. If it's really a hardship to haul one extra stand and set it up, then perhaps this isn't your ideal line of work???;):)

• Members

Originally posted by Craigv

If it's really a hardship to haul one extra stand and set it up, then perhaps this isn't your ideal line of work???
;):)

Now we're getting somewhere. For many of us that come to these forums for help, doing sound is definitely NOT our ideal line of work. Playing in a band is often a very rewarding hobby, and we want to sound good enough to "make it work" for everyone involved. Anything extra that adds to the cost, time, hassle, etc. and doesn't produce a noticeable difference is just excess baggage. Notice the keyword "noticeable", meant to apply to 99% of the ears in the room, not the sound geek that thinks the signal's more important than the source.

• Members

Now we're getting somewhere. For many of us that come to these forums for help, doing sound is definitely NOT our ideal line of work. Playing in a band is often a very rewarding hobby, and we want to sound good enough to "make it work" for everyone involved. Anything extra that adds to the cost, time, hassle, etc. and doesn't produce a noticeable difference is just excess baggage. Notice the keyword "noticeable", meant to apply to 99% of the ears in the room, not the sound geek that thinks the signal's more important than the source.

For only 177 posts, DaBender is right on. If I can get away with draping a mic over the amp using the handle as a stop, then I'll do it. Moving away from a POD to an amp was a big step and extra hassle for me. To cart along an extra mic stand, set it up, worry about it taking up more room and possibly getting kicked during the performance (which is a real likeleyhood in the places we sometimes play) for the sake of a sound difference that's indecipherable to 99% of the people there, I'll take the easy way.

If I came in as a paid sound engineer, I'd be thinking differently.

Archived