Is it ok to mic an amp by just wrapping it around the handle?

• Members

Originally posted by IsildursBane

I don't know if I'd say they work
well
. I usually have to wedge an empty mic bag in there so that the thing stays in place. Positioning them, in general, is a bit of a chore for me. I think z-bars are just one of those things that everybody else likes, but I really don't care to bother with. I'll concede that on a stage, they can be a lot cleaner looking, but for convenience, I'd much rather use a stand.

-Dan.

I was waiting for someone to comment on the evils of the proposed Z Bar. Cool.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

We tested hanging a 57 vs. a stand last night. Stuck it in the laundry room and ran a 50' cable to the mixer. Cabs were 3-way JBL MR's circa 2000. The only appreciable difference was volume.

I also took a heavy wire hangar and bent it in such a way where it loops around the handle and supports the head of the 57, keeping it at a 90 degree angle AND from touching the grill of my HRD. All nasty, pointy ends were bent. Again - a moderate boost in volume. We contemplated creating a vented Elizabethian collar-type thing that would go around the neck of the mic but suddenly realized we were alive and breathing and should be better stewards of our time out of respect for the dead.

37 minutes of my life gone. Just gone.

• Members

Originally posted by agedhorse

The difference will be more pronounced with loud drums and bass playing away!

In that it will pick up the bass/drums? If it does tend to suck up low end dB's more readily, it's a serious concern. Otherwise, its all relative.

• Members

Originally posted by pktaskes

In that it will pick up the bass/drums? If it does tend to suck up low end dB's more readily, it's a serious concern. Otherwise, its all relative.

Bits and pieces of everything. Nothing like bleed to make a mix impractical... snare everywhere :eek:

• Members

Originally posted by pktaskes

We contemplated creating a vented Elizabethian collar-type thing that would go around the neck of the mic but suddenly realized we were alive and breathing and should be better stewards of our time out of respect for the dead.

37 minutes of my life gone. Just gone.

LOL, best post ever.

• Members

Well, I guess I should've posted some opinion on this in my previous post.. I just couldn't stop laughing at the absurd arguements about this relatively minor infraction of THE MIC TECHNIQUE BIBLE. (That's a joke! Don't go check the Mix Bookstore or Amazon.com for such a text. :D ) Hanging a mic on an amp is hardly the equivalent of plugging a powered output into a mic input, just for example. ;)

The following are just a few observations I've gleaned from what others and/or my experiences taught me that impact my mic choices and techniques.

mentioned, a lot of bleed can eliminate the ability to mix properly. If you have difficulty getting a clear mix using this technique (mic hung over the front), you'll want a stand ready in the wings to try something else. Nothing worse than being locked into a poor mixing situation because of lack of gear. Even worse when you have a decent mic and no way to use it effectively.

The reality is hanging a mic can often provide as much snare or cymbals as guitar if the amp is in close proximity to the drums.

So hang mics over amps all you want. If it works well for you, great. But there will come a time when it sounds like dreck, where a simple mic stand could make all the difference via alternate mic positioning. Will you have the tool available (and the knowledge of how to use it) to succeed?

Well, that's the ovely analyzed, immensely verbose (and redundant, I suppose) answer, IMHO.

• Members

Originally posted by DaBender

Another technique is to use a gooseneck tucked under the amp's handle. Depending on the handle, it may be difficult to position it precisely without it moving on you.

+1 :thu:

That's what I do. The handle strap holds it very securely, and the gooseneck takes up less room than a wrapped cable in my gig bag when it's time to pack up.

I saw a band, recently, where the guitarist had a Rivera M60 2x12" combo, with the metal speaker grille just like mine has (my rig is a two-piece). He had spot-welded a 3" long metal ring in the proper mic position and then coated the ring with that brush-on rubber stuff. It held a 57 perfectly.

He told me he just added layer upon layer of the rubber stuff until a 57 would stay secure.

• CMS Author

Originally posted by cooterbrown

+1
:thu:

That's what I do. The handle strap holds it very securely, and the gooseneck takes up less room than a wrapped cable in my gig bag when it's time to pack up.

I saw a band, recently, where the guitarist had a Rivera M60 2x12" combo, with the metal speaker grille just like mine has (my rig is a two-piece). He had spot-welded a 3" long metal ring in the proper mic position and then coated the ring with that brush-on rubber stuff. It held a 57 perfectly.

He told me he just added layer upon layer of the rubber stuff until a 57 would stay secure.

I never thought of bringing along a welding rig........

;):D

• Members

Originally posted by Craigv

I never thought of bringing along a welding rig........

You must travel light! What kind of self respecting mixer doesn't have his trusty welding rig on his belt next to his Mag-lite?!? ;):D

(P.S. - I neither weld nor have a Mag-lite anymore.)

• CMS Author

Originally posted by fantasticsound

You must travel light! What kind of self respecting mixer doesn't have his trusty welding rig on his belt next to his Mag-lite?!?

(P.S. - I neither weld nor have a Mag-lite anymore.)

Well, I suppose I could tow a rig trailer with a welding truck. If I play my cards right I can get one with a combo welder/genset and do outdoor park gigs and such. In 700 or so years this extra income might pay off the truck.....

• Members

Originally posted by Craigv

Well, I suppose I could tow a rig trailer with a welding truck. If I play my cards right I can get one with a combo welder/genset and do outdoor park gigs and such. In 700 or so years this extra income might pay off the truck.....

:D

You could probably pay off the truck faster if you provided onsite construction of truss & fly rigging. Sounds like an untapped market to me. :freak:

• CMS Author

Originally posted by fantasticsound

:D

You could probably pay off the truck faster if you provided onsite construction of truss & fly rigging. Sounds like an untapped market to me.
:freak:

Hmm. I could have the welders work during the show, and charge extra for lighting effects. We could be on to something here. Look forward to a royalty check.....

Archived