Carvin service props

• Members

Originally posted by Craigv

Unless they gave a reasonable explanation for not being able to just ship you the new unit along with a return call-tag, I'd keep going up that ladder. But I'm like that...a pain in the ass when I feel like I've been jerked.

If they had one in stock, I'd be pushing harder. I have enough going on in my life right now I really don't feel like getting worked into a lather over this. It's really crappy service on their part, but I've got better things to get really bent out of shape over. Another time perhaps I would have.

• Members

Shovelhead,

In my experience, you just got lucky and got an informed person to talk to at Carvin -- one who was willing to go the extra mile beyond the party-line "send it in and we'll fix it" stand.

I hope you got his name because you sure want to deal with him in the future, if you need to.

• Members

Originally posted by GCDEF

I went up one tier and got the same spiel. I was hoping they'd overnight me a replacement, but if they don't have any in stock, I guess that won't happen. Posted a nasty message on their bulletin board. It'll probably just get locked or deleted, but at least somebody there will know they have an upset customer.

Yeah, it's done for. Rule #1.

• Members

Originally posted by GCDEF

I went up one tier and got the same spiel. I was hoping they'd overnight me a replacement, but if they don't have any in stock, I guess that won't happen. Posted a nasty message on their bulletin board. It'll probably just get locked or deleted, but at least somebody there will know they have an upset customer.

Ahh...now you are seeing the "other side" of Carvin. They are billed as this great, customer service oriented company...until you have a problem.

When the C1644P arrived that I ordered from them, one of the 4 amp channels was DOA. I called them, and decided to go with another model, which was...you guessed it...out of stock. They assured me that they would send UPS to pick up the old one, and then ship me a new one ASAP. Well, I had to go out of town for a week and a half, but left the mixer boxed up and ready to go with the secretary in my office. When I returned...the box was still sitting there, and no new mixer was to be found.

So, I call Carvin (because I needed the mixer by that point) and they have no idea what I'm even talking about. Finally, several days later, UPS picks up the old one. About two weeks later, I finally get the new mixer. So, a simple exchange turned into a head-banging month long ordeal.

Then, I noticed they were running a great sale on audio snakes. I looked at the one on their website, and it had the connections I needed to fit my CARVIN mixer. I asked the salesman repeatedly about the connections just to make sure. "Yeah, no problem, we're good." Until the snake arrived. It was NOT the model advertised, even though it had the same model number. Wrong connections, and to top it off, IT WAS USED! Scratches all over it, rub marks from where xlr cables had been plugged and un plugged over and over!

All they could say was...uhhh...we sent you the right one... When I pointed him to his website, he could not explain why it showed one thing for that model, but was being made completely different!

I will NOT buy another thing from Carvin. I've owned a couple of their guitars, and they were okay. However, the service of their company is in the toilet.

• Members

I had similar trouble ordering the last C1644P I had too. They were transitioning from a shared control for mon 2/3 send to seperate controls for 2 and 3. I specifically said I need 4 seperate sends. I got the wrong one of course. Had to do the same thing. Order the right one, which carried extra interest on the credit card for a few weeks, then return the old one.

When I called the other day, they said the speaker jack thing is a known problem. I'm just really ticked that they'd send me a product that they already know is defective. Also, preliminary tests are showing at least one power amp is dead on mine too. Haven't spend a lot of time trying to track it down yet though.

• Members

I've got a rack of DCM2000 Carvin power amps that are great workhorses, but I did buy a Carvin powered box mixer that was an $800 boat anchor. It picked up every radio station for miles around, and broadcast that signal louder than the mixed signals.

I've called Carvin and got the old line, "Send it in and we'll look at it for $275."

I won't be buying anything else from them. There's too many other people willing to go the extra mile that I'd rather spend my money with.

• Members

Could the heat problem be because of the number of amps in that box? or that it was 100 degrees and the gear was sitting in the sun? White towels or a canopy are great if you are going to be outside...

Ive used Yamha,Mackie, And Peavey mixers at the same outdoor gig in the south Florida summers and the Carvin was the only one that would shut down.

• Members

Originally posted by fingerpicker

Ive used Yamha,Mackie, And Peavey mixers at the same outdoor gig in the south Florida summers and the Carvin was the only one that would shut down.

That's because that Carvin is no where near the unit that those are. Ditch the Carvin, and buy some real equipment.

• Members

Originally posted by fingerpicker

On the other hand, I used my C1644P outdoors in direct Florida sun for 5 or 6 hours at a time quite a lot and it never gave me any heat-related trouble. Never.

• Members

Originally posted by steve_man

Just wait...if it's a Carvin...it'll break...

I've used this Carvin mixer for 3 years solid. Every gig. It's been extremely reliable until this incident.

Carvin has to cut corners somewhere to offer the products they do at the pricepoint that they do. I knew full well what I was buying when I bought it, and don't regret my decision.

The solution for you seems to be to not buy Carvin gear. But when you find that magical gear that will never, ever have a problem, let me know what it is.

• Members

Originally posted by BlackBelt

I've called Carvin and got the old line, "Send it in and we'll look at it for $275."

I won't be buying anything else from them. There's too many other people willing to go the extra mile that I'd rather spend my money with.

Man that's steep. The minimum bench fee around the Twin Cities is anywhere from $45 to $90, and that includes the really reputable places. Two-seventy-five is ridiculous. I guess they put that policy in place to keep people from sending stuff back for them to fix! :D

• Members

Originally posted by J.

Man that's steep. The minimum bench fee around the Twin Cities is anywhere from $45 to $90, and that includes the really reputable places. Two-seventy-five is ridiculous. I guess they put that policy in place to keep people from sending stuff back for them to fix!
:D

Could be that's a flat rate repair including parts?

Archived