Pwrd. Speakers - Run Full Throttle...?

• Members

I've read numerous times from many of the regular posters here on Live Sound that when running power amps for live sound - mains or monitors - you run the amp at full power and you attenuate at the mixer, correct?

Does the same hold true for powered speakers - like JBL EON15 G2's, Yorkville NX55P's or Mackie SRM450's? Do you put the gain level knob on the speaker all the way up and then adjust your mixer levels accordingly?

I have a pair of EON15 G2's which I often use just one of as a keyboard stage amp/monitor - but sometimes I use both EONs up on sticks as the mains for a small PA. When using them as mains (and even as kybd. monitors), I rarely put the volume knob past 12 o'clock. Should I instead be putting it all the way over to 5 o'clock or so?

I'd like to get a pair of Yorkie NX55P's to use for mains and relegate the EONs to floor monitor duty - would I run the NX55P's at highest volume or keep their knob somewhere at about 12 o'clock also... ?? :confused::eek:

• Members

NX55ps have a 0 setting that is at 12 o'clock. I keep both of mine at this setting at all times and have never had trouble driving them to clip with any mixer I have used. At the same time, you know both speakers are at least fairly close in gain so should be equally loud. Don't hesitate if you have any other questions. Al Poulin - Party-Time! DJ Services

• Members

I would have to say... it depends on their rated sensitivity for full output at 100% position.

If it's +4dBu then that's pretty much where I would run them, or maybe 3dB down from there (sensitivity-wise). Most of these boxes have built in limiting so you need compliance headroom oin order to allow the limiters to work as designed.

Archived