Is it worth it to fix a Nady power amp?

• Members

I know that these are mega-low end. I got one for free because Channel 1 doesn't work. Channel 2 works perfectly fine. I read through the manual to try and see what it means, but the PROTECT light is on full time. Not sure if anyone knows what this means. But yeah, is this a simple fix? Any estimates on cost and would it even be worth it to fix this thing?

Also, if this isn't worth my time to fix ... are these amps suitable for a stereo system considering the one channel still works with no problem? I've never used a power amp for anything other than live sound.

• Members

Also, if this isn't worth my time to fix ... are these amps suitable for a stereo system considering the one channel still works with no problem? I've never used a power amp for anything other than live sound.

:confused: One channel wouldn't quite be stereo, would it? :confused:

• Members

Maybe you could drive a home theater sub.

That is a great idea. You would have to feed the amp from a variable output without it being a speaker line level (which wouldn't work too well). Using the ''sub out'' on newer home theatre receivers should work well. It is getting harder and harder to find passive home theatre subs though (except those intended to work in a pre-packaged amp + speaker combo) Al

• Members
I know that these are mega-low end. I got one for free because Channel 1 doesn't work. Channel 2 works perfectly fine. I read through the manual to try and see what it means, but the PROTECT light is on full time. Not sure if anyone knows what this means. But yeah, is this a simple fix? Any estimates on cost and would it even be worth it to fix this thing?

It could be something really simple. If the + and - are touching together somewhere in the amp, that could cause the channel to stay in protect more. Beyond that, not idea.

• Members

You might call Nady... they have a LOT of experience fixing their products as you might guess. Maybe they can take care of it for a reasonable cost, or maybe they don't repair anything out of warranty and hope you loved it enough to make the same mistake again and buy another. ;)

• Members

What model is it?

Generally, if one side is stuck in protect, I believe that suggests that side's output section has crashed and burned. That could be major... like the motor needs a new crank and bearings. If it's an early model, I've seen those where they used mica isolation between the output transistors and the heat sink... and the micas had defects (or were mis-places), which caused one or more transistors to short out against the heat sink.

It wouldn't hurt to pop the top and see if there's any funkiness... like something came unplugged... or ???

• Members

It's an XA-900.

Bottom line ... worth it to take into a shop or not? I doubt Nady would be of any assistance ... it was purchased a while ago, I think.

Bottom line, at the price of amplifier power these days, repairing the Nady is really not worth it for something that might end up breaking again in a few months. By the time it's looked at (there is a fee just to look at it), diagnosed, repaired - parts and labour... you're looking at 100$ minimum and ??? maximum. Shop around. It's easy to get a decent NEW amp with good warranty for a few hundred dollars...QSC RMX, Crown XLS, even Behringer EP1500 is a safer investment than the Nady in this case. :eek: Al

• Members

It's an XA-900.

Bottom line ... worth it to take into a shop or not? I doubt Nady would be of any assistance ... it was purchased a while ago, I think.

I believe the XA-900 is a fairly recent model... probably less than 2 years old, and possibly still is in production. I doubt it's worth paying to have fixed, since the problem is probably a $100 - $150 service call, and I believe a new one can be had for somewhere in the $150 - $175 range.

Archived