Al's LS720P review

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Hi

Do you have try it ???

I will have to try it this weekend when I DJ, because my equipment isn't connected at the moment. It is in my basement but all the connections are in my boxes as are my mixers... I'll let you know as soon as I have the chance.

Al

• Members

OK, I had a chance to connect an NX55P and LS700P using the 1/4'' OUT on the NX55P to the mono in on the LS700P. There was no reduction in volume on the NX55P when I connected it to the LS700P in.

Always using the 1/4'' out to the 700P, I tried using both the XLR in and 1/4'' mixer in on the NX55P to get the signal to the NX55P. Both ways, the level of the NX55P was not affected when I plugged in the LS700P. I was reminded however, with a very loud bzzz, that it is best to have the LS700P off when connecting something to it... Al

• 11 months later...
  • Members

wave:
Hello everyone, I had the chance today to try a NX750P and LS720P to compare to my NX55P and LS700P.
I play several different styles of music and here is a quick summary of my impressions.
NX55P VS NX750P
The NX55P plays better on the default without any adjustment VS the NX750P , the 750P has many difficulties vs NX55P for the mid mid-low . The 750P develop more bass. A big advantage of NX750P is that we really push hard (much) the volume to turn on the limiter.
So with a good adjustment, the 750P would be the winner, except for recent music style etc. laddy gaga. Except NX55P default play better music and techno, recent.

The subwoofer LS700P VS LS720P
I agree with AL's, the ls700P is far stronger than LS720P except that with no limitation on the LS700P have not just whether it is Over-volume full power.
For sound quality, I think NX55P play much better with the LS720P that LS700P.
The transport LS720P really better, My spine prefer this and hands in a back door.
Thus, in the style of music, sound quality, the LS720P is the winner, but not for power, should be 2 LS720P to have a better presence than the LS700P.
Also XLR connections and the small noise absent from LS700P an advantage.
So, it is likely buy two LS720P and sell my LS700P because I find that really nx55p sound better in the midrange with the LS720P VS LS700P with adjustment to 100Hz as ls720P.
Here are photos 2-3.

img7900b.jpg
img7901.jpg
img7902o.jpg
img7903.jpg

• Members

Merci d'avoir partage tes impressions avec nous pgtcobra :thu: Belles photos! Je suis d'accord que la qualite de son du 720p est mieux que celle du 700p mais comme tu l'a remarque toi aussi, le 700p est capable de plus de volume. Une paire de 720P est ideale pour complimenter une paire de NX55P. D'ailleurs, les 720P ont ete concues pour fonctionner parfaitement avec les 55P une pour une. Pour la comparaison 55P vs 750P, les 55p vont avoir un plus beau son quand on les compare car il y a beaucoup plus de ''processing'' dans la 55P. Cependant, comme tu l'a remarque, a cause de ceci (surtout le bass boost) le 750P est capable de plus de volume avant d'arriver a sa limite... Si tu n'avais pas de sub et que tu devais choisir les 55p ou 750p, quel serait ton choix?

Translation :

Thanks for sharing your impression with us pgtcobra. :thu: Great pics! I agree that the 720P sounds better than the 700P, but that the 700P has more output capability. The 720Ps are better used in pairs. The 720P was actually designed to perfectly compliment the NX55P one on one. So a pair would be recommended in most situations. As for the 55P and 750P comparison, I am not surprised the 55P sounded better out of the box since it has more processing than the 750P (to make it sound bigger). But as you have noticed, the 750P can get louder before limiting since it is not as processed (not as much lost power in the bass boost found in the 55p) If you had no sub(s) and had to choose a pair of NX55Ps or 750Ps, what would your choice be?

Al :)

• Members

EDIT - must have missed a page the below is redundant but anyway...

IMO if the limit light keeps coming on in a powered speaker you're out of gas, or you've got the wrong crossover point, slope...

I believe the LS720P has it's place, I just found (one gig only mind you) that it wasn't all that more powerful than the Yorkville NX200 sub (many names same 50lb. ten inch sub) - but yes, it was more focused.

For headroom... purposes (live band situations) I prefer the LS800P or the LS700P, or the "newer" QSC stuff.

For jazz, medium rock, DJ gigs, or any music in a smaller venue, I imagine the 720P would be just fine, and the weight is right. Of course, I was using them in a big ballroom but they certainly got "stressed out". Just my experience.

• Members
Merci d'avoir partage tes impressions avec nous pgtcobra
:thu:
Belles photos! Je suis d'accord que la qualite de son du 720p est mieux que celle du 700p mais comme tu l'a remarque toi aussi, le 700p est capable de plus de volume. Une paire de 720P est ideale pour complimenter une paire de NX55P. D'ailleurs, les 720P ont ete concues pour fonctionner parfaitement avec les 55P une pour une. Pour la comparaison 55P vs 750P, les 55p vont avoir un plus beau son quand on les compare car il y a beaucoup plus de ''processing'' dans la 55P. Cependant, comme tu l'a remarque, a cause de ceci (surtout le bass boost) le 750P est capable de plus de volume avant d'arriver a sa limite... Si tu n'avais pas de sub et que tu devais choisir les 55p ou 750p, quel serait ton choix?

Translation
:

Thanks for sharing your impression with us pgtcobra.
:thu:
Great pics! I agree that the 720P sounds better than the 700P, but that the 700P has more output capability. The 720Ps are better used in pairs. The 720P was actually designed to perfectly compliment the NX55P one on one. So a pair would be recommended in most situations. As for the 55P and 750P comparison, I am not surprised the 55P sounded better out of the box since it has more processing than the 750P (to make it sound bigger). But as you have noticed, the 750P can get louder before limiting since it is not as processed (not as much lost power in the bass boost found in the 55p) If you had no sub(s) and had to choose a pair of NX55Ps or 750Ps, what would your choice be?

Al
:)

Merci

• Members
Now, my problem .... Are two LS720P better than would LS700P? For the sound quality so I am sure a 200%, but for power
:confused:
. My back much prefer the weight of the 720P.

My opinion - if you are an active sound company doing a variety of work, you would most likely need something bigger than the 720P, more focused than the 700P (and probably something better than the NX750P). BUT if the subs are for yourself, get the ones that you can physically and financially manage.

For a one man sound provider, your back and your hearing are your most valuable assets. Don't obsess about an extra 3 to 6dB if it means permanently ruining your back.

BTW, I use the 750P's about three times a year on boat cruises (ship provides them). I mashed my hand trying to mount them on a stand once. The next time I brought crank stands!

• Members

My opinion - if you are an active sound company doing a variety of work, you would most likely need something bigger than the 720P, more focused than the 700P (and probably something better than the NX750P). BUT if the subs are for yourself, get the ones that you can physically and financially manage.

For a one man sound provider, your back and your hearing are your most valuable assets. Don't obsess about an extra 3 to 6dB if it means permanently ruining your back.

BTW, I use the 750P's about three times a year on boat cruises (ship provides them). I mashed my hand trying to mount them on a stand once. The next time I brought crank stands!

Hi Shashter,

The subwoofer is for me, I have a few mobile disco and I think the LS700P too heavy for my back. This is one reason why I would like to change one or two ls720p which carries better.

But one ls720p would not be enough to replace my ls700p which I think is a bit limited.

• Members

Sounds like you've answered your own question regarding two 720P's vs. one 700P. And if you ever have to load up or down stairs by yourself, weight becomes a consideration.

If you intend to stay with Yorkville you might try two of the little NX200S or the LS200P used. I picked up two of the ES200P (same sub older version) for CDN $300 each. I actually don't think they would really be suitable, but if you got some for cheap, you could get by until you decide to go for it and get the LS800P :)

As I said before, plenty of other good subs out there (many unpowered) like Peavey, JBL, QSC, RCF, and what about those Danley "mini" subs?

Anyway good luck or should I say bon chance.

• Members

Voila, my LS700P have been sold less than 24 hours and two LS720P are in order.

I hope I do not regret my change.

OOPS... didn't see your post. :eek: I just sent you a PM recommending you check out the new QSC K sub... 1000 watts, dual 12'' bandpass design - 75lbs and just a bit more money than a single 720p. :) I'm looking at one of those myself....

Al

• 5 years later...
  • Members

Hey, this thread just re-appeared, I guess H-C has been repairing their back catalogue.

Just a note, Al, to let you know that even though this thread is old, old, old it was very useful to me. Keep up the good work on your reviews.

Wes

• Members

Yes, I was searching for PRX715XLF vs. LS720P and this was on the first page of results. In mid-September, and again in October, I searched for and read just about everything useful on LS720P and LS700P, and I am positive this thread was not in any of the results.

Oh, and I use Google to search.

Wes

• Members

Ahh memories... 5 years ago - wow! Yeah, I remember that first time using the 720P and the shootout in my living room. I did end up buying the 720P and just traded it in last year for my DXS12s. Although the pair of DXS12s are excellent performers for their price, the 720P does sound more musical and extends a little lower. A pair of 720Ps is really a great and fairly compact/light choice for a typical bar band or DJ wanting to fill in the lower octaves.

Al

• Members

Check the first page...more like six and a half years ago!

If I can keep up the money-pace I'm on right now, I think I'm going to add one LS720P and some lights in September, then another LS720P and more lights the September after that. Reading between the lines, I think a single LS720P will round out our small bar sound, but two will be necessary for weddings and so on.

The wedding system I used most recently was PRX515 over PRX618S (not XLF) and it had plenty of punch, although the HPF on the tops may have been a bit low (knob on a Rane EQ - set by ear) and I corner-clustered the subs. We played some EDM and modern pop tracks between sets and the place was shaking light a night club.

Of course, if I find a good deal on an LS801P or some JBL *XLFs all bets are off.

• Members
Check the first page...more like six and a half years ago!

If I can keep up the money-pace I'm on right now, I think I'm going to add one LS720P and some lights in September, then another LS720P and more lights the September after that. Reading between the lines, I think a single LS720P will round out our small bar sound, but two will be necessary for weddings and so on.

Of course, if I find a good deal on an LS801P or some JBL *XLFs all bets are off.

I've got a pair of LS720P's and a pair of LS801P's, and both have their place. The LS720P's are so compact and light-weight, and they sound very clean (tight and punchy, never muddy). Perfect for a bar-band in smaller clubs (100 or so). I bought mine 7 years ago, and I don't see myself ever ditching them, despite owning the LS801P's.

That said, the LS801P's are monsters, both in size and output. When I first bought the LS801P's, I did as head-to-head comparison just for kicks, and ran both sets with a pair of NX55P's, then my U15P's. With the NX55P's, the LS720P's matched just about perfectly, When I hooked up the LS801P's, I had to run them at roughly 1/8th power for the same output. At that level, the LS801P's obviously out-performed the LS720P's, which was most noticeable with kick-drum. It was very easy to dial in a great chest-thump and and simultaneous "snap" to the kick.

As for mating the LS801P's to the U15P's, it literally took seconds to dial them in by ear. The versatility of the LS801P is amazing, and you can easily shape the sound to match whatever style of music you're playing. Just be careful not to over do it. Personally, I tend to be somewhat conservative with subs, and prefer a natural "blended" level; just enough to give weight and authority to the dynamic-range of a band. I can't stand walking into a room where the subs are dominating.

• Members

Hey, Bobby --

Do you see any benefit to owning two LS720Ps instead of one LS801P? I guess it would be an easier load-in, and you could use the LS720Ps as stands for your tops. Anything else? I'm guessing that the single 801 will hit about as hard as two 720s? The price difference is about $300 in favour of the LS801P.

Wes

• Members
Hey, Bobby --

Do you see any benefit to owning two LS720Ps instead of one LS801P? I guess it would be an easier load-in, and you could use the LS720Ps as stands for your tops. Anything else? I'm guessing that the single 801 will hit about as hard as two 720s? The price difference is about $300 in favour of the LS801P.

Wes

The only advantage with the LS720P is ease of transport. I can easily pick one up, and carry it a fair distance if need be. It's great for hauling them up a set of stairs, etc. I can also put a set of two on the back seat of my car. Sound-wise, I've never felt like I'm missing anything. That said, we're not running synths, nor am I doing DJ work. (rap, hip-hop,EDM,etc). There's certainly plenty of punch for a 4-piece rock-band w/ drums/bass, and guitars. I don't see myself ever selling these subs, simply because they're so convenient, and they sound so good.

As far as comparing the LS720P to the LS801P, it's simply no contest; the LS801P is in a completely different category. Off-hand, I'd say one LS801P could probably keep up with 4 LS720P's, and go a little deeper doing it. At home in my 36'x32' band-practice room, I've never been able to run them above 1/8 power, because everything in the house is rattling.

From a value perspective (output per dollar spent), the LS801P's win hands down. If I had to choose between the two, I'd go with the LS801P, as long as I had the means to transport them. They're easy to roll around (casters), but they're big and heavy (135 lbs.???). You'd need a truck, trailer, or van, and if your loading by yourself, you'd need ramps, but, if you've got a helper, it's an easy 2-man lift.

On stage, I suppose you could stack your mains on the 801P's if it's an elevated stage. On the floor, you'd need stands for your mains because these subs aren't tall. (roughly 32")

When I'm dialing-in these subs for optimum sound, I'm generally focusing on the kick-drum, and not the bass. Neither the LS720P's or the LS801P's have ever left me wanting for "more bass". On kick though, the LS801P is sensational. You can really get that massive chest-thump, as well as the snap of the beater, and the 801P's aren't even breaking a sweat at that point. Efficiency is 105db@1w/1meter, so you can pretty plug them in anywhere without concern that you'll blow a fuse or breaker.

I bought mine brand-new at my dealers' annual inventory sale, and paid $2500.(plus tax) for a pair, and I think it's the best speaker purchase I've ever made. These subs made the rest of my systems "all grown up". (four EF500PB's/ two U15P's/ eight NX55P's). The trick though, is don't over-do it. I've heard guys running the 801P's full-tilt, and it's just too much. They'll pretty well bury anything you mate them with, so avoid that temptation and you'll love them.

• Members

Thanks, Bobby. I missed this when you posted. Looks like, then, if I dig into the wallet for brand-new equipment, it will be one LS801P to go with a pair of NX55Ps. If I ever get bigger tops, I can add another LS801P.

As for big and heavy... doesn't sound much different than a Leslie 760. I'm already in a situation where I can't carry all my gear all the time with renting a trailer, so what's one more box?

Wes

• Members

When I'm dialing-in these subs for optimum sound, I'm generally focusing on the kick-drum, and not the bass. Neither the LS720P's or the LS801P's have ever left me wanting for "more bass". On kick though, the LS801P is sensational. You can really get that massive chest-thump, as well as the snap of the beater, and the 801P's aren't even breaking a sweat at that point. Efficiency is 105db@1w/1meter, so you can pretty plug them in anywhere without concern that you'll blow a fuse or breaker.

Can you give me some tips on which frequency you use for your LS801P?

• Members

Can you give me some tips on which frequency you use for your LS801P?

I simply dial it in by ear, to whatever best suits the music, and the room..

On the subs' rear panel, you have a "shape" control, which is a +3dB/-3dB EQ (fixed at 50 Hz), and, you have a sweepable low-pass filter (hi-frequency roll-off) which can be set between 90Hz and 150Hz.(to match the subs to your mains HPF settings).

Generally, I'm at 0dB for the "shape" control, and that's because I'm rarely (if ever) near the output limits of the sub. If I was in that situation, and I needed a bit more oomph, I'd cut the bass by 3dB (louder vs lower). On the other hand, if we had a synth in the band, (capable of very low frequencies) I might opt to boost the bass by setting the "shape" control to +3dB.

It's a judgement call, and your ears are the best measurement tool. I also use a dbx 1231 for final tone-shaping.

I suppose I'm somewhat conservative when it comes to subs, and I generally try to focus on a "natural" blend between the mains and the sub. I can't stand walking into a room where the subs dominate,,,, I'm just looking for a tightly-focused and very punchy low-end extension, with no trace of muddiness or boominess. I simply want to add "weight" to the band.

A lot depends on the genre of music.

Archived