Al's LS720P review

• Members

I use the LS700p and I'm happy with it for what it is. I've used the NX720p and wasn't impressed. It was a little smoother and more accurate than the LS, but the LS hit way harder. With the NX720p's (I had a pair), at full volume, the NX35's at full-range put out more bass than them. The single LS however drowns the tops out.

This was just a quick a/b test in my garage. Tops were NX35's.

Are you sure the system was set up right? A pair of NX35s put out more bass than a pair of 720Ps powered subs? :confused: The NX35s do put out some bass, but they aren't capable of going as deep as either sub and in my experience are fairly weak in output below 100hz... The LS720P I used provided adequate bottom end for a 300+ crowd in a big hall....:confused: I agree the 700P hits harder than the 720P, but to be fair, the 720P isn't that far behind output wise (except maybe on certain notes?). The 720P is still a very capable subwoofer. As stated in my review, I had both set up in my living room and fed them the exact same signal and put up their gains until no more output was possible and quite frankly, the 720P did shake my living room quite a bit :) I used to have two pairs of NX350s that I often used together in bigger halls and although they got loud, they didn't really give you subwoofer type bass.... :confused: Al

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Mogwix, ditto to what Al said. I would suggest that maybe your setup was wrong. not sure how you set your 720s up - The best way is through a "line" feed - 2 XLRs to and from the sub "A" side and the same to the "B" side which means 4 cables al together. Again, ditto to AL - We just had an outdoor gig and we too play some classic rock and even 2 Trag. Hip. songs which have tons of bass and kick drum and man, that sub pushed that out no problem. And that was with a volume at 1 o'clock on the sub. The limiter lit up a bit but just enough to tell me that my signal was at the right place.

I can't say 100% sure but it does sound like something was missing in your setup!

• Members

Are you sure the system was set up right?

Quite so. I think really it's just that I'm expecting too much from it.

I tried XLR line feed to subs as well as the power in/thru to tops. It sounded better of course with my crossover and line feeds to subs.

mixer > dbx 1066xl (limiter) > dbx 233xl:

low > NX720p L + R.

high > PV2600 > NX35 L + R

I tried them first in my (rather large) garage. Either way, at low volume the low end was definitely smooth and clean, fairly pleasant. If I was doing low-volume BG music for a wedding or corporate event this would be great. Once I turned it up to a "low dance" volume the limiters were flashing. I then muted the subs and turned up the NX35's to a "get vocals over drums" volume and kept the music going. I turned the subs back on with the level all the way down and brought them up until the limiters flashed... I couldn't tell that they were on. I flipped the phase on the crossover and tried placing them in different spots around the garage but no improvement. I switched in the LS and the low end was there.

After this I moved outside and at any setting, I couldn't hear them at all. I even muted the 35's and could just barely hear them when I walked up close. Again, I threw the LS in and the low end reappeared.

To do a direct comparison I had each sub on it's own aux send so I could mute either one at whim. I played music and while the NX was a little bit smoother, the LS could dominate the NX35's at max volume while the 720p's had a hard time being heard.

I think really it's just that I'm too used to being tossed around by a wall of 218's.

• Members

It seems Mogwix is talking about the NX720 and y'all keep referring to the LS720 P...

damn

I wasn't even aware of the LS720's so I guess I just sort of assumed everyone was talking about the NX's without paying any attention to it... but they don't appear to be too different than the NX's... Still great that I didn't notice that I was going on about a different subwoofer.

• Members

damn

I wasn't even aware of the LS720's so I guess I just sort of assumed everyone was talking about the NX's without paying any attention to it... but they don't appear to be too different than the NX's... Still great that I didn't notice that I was going on about a different subwoofer.

The only difference is there is carpet on the LS version while the NX is an ultrathane painted (hard) finish. Oh, and 100$ more for the NX... Al

• Members

[quote=Mogwix;23760639

I even muted the 35's and could just barely hear them when I walked up close. Again, I threw the LS in and the low end reappeared.

You muted the NX35 and could barely hear the pair of NX720Ps? :eek: I`m sure something was wrong somewhere.... Is it possible one of the subs was wired wrong at the factory and created phase / cancellation issues when both subs were used together??? I don't know... From what I experienced with one LS720P, your experience with a pair of them doesn't make sense to me. :confused: Al

• Members

I don't know... From what I experienced with one LS720P, your experience with a pair of them doesn't make sense to me.
:confused:
Al

Tried it with one, tried it with both, tried it inside, tried it outside, tried it standing on my head, tried it while laying in bed...

nothing.

They WERE rentals though. For all I know they could've been messed up from a previous rental, although they did sound nice inside at low volume.

• Members

Tried it with one, tried it with both, tried it inside, tried it outside, tried it standing on my head, tried it while laying in bed...

But did you try them standing on a chair while juggling 3 bananas and whistling a Beach Boys tune? This is how most subs sound their best. :p

Hopefully, you'll get to try them again sometime and, who knows, maybe they'll work better for you... If you ever do, try not to connect the DBX units and just run a simple CD player to mixer to speaker configuration to see if it works better this way. :confused:

Best wishes, Al

• Members

But did you try them standing on a chair while juggling 3 bananas and whistling a Beach Boys tune? This is how most subs sound their best.
:p

*smacks head* ah! but of course! I had apples instead of bananas!

I'll definitely give them another chance, but honestly I don't really have any use for them right now... outdoor rock shows don't really lend to compact 15" subs :freak:

• Members

*smacks head* ah! but of
course!
I had apples instead of bananas!

I'll definitely give them another chance, but honestly I don't really have any use for them right now... outdoor rock shows don't really lend to compact 15" subs
:freak:

One thing I did notice when I set the 720P up the first time (on stage) at the wedding I was DJ'ing is that it did seem a little weak (for I don't know what reason - since this is how I had set up my 700P when I played that same hall New Year's eve). Putting it on the floor in front of the stage (see my avatar) made a big difference. Maybe because of it's design? Who know. Seriously though - apples? Who juggles apples? :D Al

• Members

MOGWIX, I read somewhere else about someone who had faced the same problem you did with the Nx720s (same as LS) and it turned out that they had been wired wrong. Yorkville fixed them up and the owner was quite pleased with the results. I realize that this is no good to you since you rented them. All in all, my band used one - center stage, on the ground (a wooden structure) with everyone including the bass player connected into it through the mixer prior to going to the mains and ...... great results. Lots of bass and cleaned up the mains real nice.

I love lots of bass, and I got just enough with the 720.

• 9 months later...
  • Members

Is this serious if the light "LIMIT" is lit almost continuously, BUT the CLIP Not loads. For that, I find it lighter for little in volume.

The limit light should NOT be on almost continuous. It is likely that yu will damage the drivers from thermal overload this way.

• Members

I would agree with Audiopyle on other powered speakers the are in a class with the Yorkville. I dislike the new chinese Mackie's and I think the QSC

HPR-221i are one of the best bang for the buck powered speakers. I think the thing that makes the York's a step ahead of their compatition is their warranty. I think the LS720's are a good choice for the right application. For sound reinforcement we A/B'd the LS-800PB's and LS720's. The 800's were the easy choice for sound, impact, and a bigger low end. I have demo'd the QSC subs and I didn't like them as much as either one of the Yorks.

• Members

First, make sure the 100hz cutoff is engaged on the NX55Ps. The NX55Ps already have lots of bass built-in their sound (too much actually) and if you are adding low frequencies on top of that on your EQ, their output will be greatly affected and you will clip them much faster. SO, make sure the 100hz button is pushed in if you are using a sub or subs. As for theLS700P, I will get back to you soon... I am at work right now....
;)
AL

Hi AL poulin. Yes for the 100HZ but.. for the Yellow Light In the Manual..

"12. Yellow Limit LED

This indicates that the cabinet is operating at

full power and the limiter(s) are actively reduc-

ing the signal level. It

• Members

Hi AL poulin. Yes for the 100HZ but.. for the Yellow Light In the Manual..

"
12. Yellow Limit LED

This indicates that the cabinet is operating at

full power and the limiter(s) are actively reduc-

ing the signal level. It

• Members

It is OK for the limit (yellow) light to flicker occasionnally, but if it's on constantly - it's not a good sign. Maybe the NX55Ps are simply not loud enough to meet your needs. I think you may be connecting your system incorrectly as well. There is no reason for the NX55P to lose any volume when you connect it with your sub, which I'm not quite sure how you are doing. The LS700 only has 1/4'' inputs.

Are you running your mixer main out XLRs to your NX55Ps and then from one NX55P, send a signal to the sub (NX55P 1/4'' output to LS700P mono in?). Make sure the sub is set to LINE LEVEL signal and NOT speaker.

The LS720P is actually a little less loud than the LS700P so it probably will not be better. One good thing is the LS720P has XLR connections which might be better in your case.

Can you give me a better idea of what you are using and how it is connected?

Al

Hi

I have a Xenyx 1204FX OUT XRL + XRL in NX55p and Out NX jack to Jack mono in with set to line level

I have try Mixer XRL to Sub Jack in mono Out sub jack to jack NX or XRL

and the speaker lose level volume vs other nx not connected to the sub

sorry me english is not good i have same difficult to explain my problem ;)

Try it... Mixer out XLR to NX XLR , NX out Jack to mono in with line level and connect other NX directly on XRL mixer and try..

or deplug and replug the sub when you play music...

or my sub is defect... and lose sound level..

Or is there a bad resistance in the SUB.

• Members

I usually send my mixer's L/R main outs (XLR) directly to my NX55Ps and then, again from my mixer's master outs, run a 1/4'' master out directly to my LS700P. Does your mixer have both XLR and 1/4'' master outputs that can be used at the same time? It might work better this way and not affect the level. Al

• Members

I usually send my mixer's L/R main outs (XLR) directly to my NX55Ps and then, again from my mixer's master outs, run a 1/4'' master out directly to my LS700P. Does your mixer have both XLR and 1/4'' master outputs that can be used at the same time? It might work better this way and not affect the level. Al

no only main out XRL ..... :S

try with my setup for fun .. Mixer XLR to NX and NX to sub..

• Members

no only main out XRL ..... :S

try with my setup for fun .. Mixer XLR to NX and NX to sub..

I would love to try it, but it's almost 11PM here and I don't think my sleeping wife and kids would appreciate it. ;) It's too bad the LS700P doesn't have XLR connections. Yorkville should really add some.... That is one advantage of the 720P. Al

• Members

I would love to try it, but it's almost 11PM here and I don't think my sleeping wife and kids would appreciate it.
;)
It's too bad the LS700P doesn't have XLR connections. Yorkville should really add some.... That is one advantage of the 720P. Al

ok no problem ;)

But you when you make music with your LS700P, on the dance floor there is a good bass? Is it 4 times higher behind the console?

I do not like the fact that the bass are 4 times stronger behind the console for my ears or the back of the room on the dance floor.

With my JBL 4530 i dont have this problem , the bass is Equals across the room at very low volume.

• Members

JBL scoops are hard to beat. I have a set of JBL style double 18 scoops that are a little bit larger than the double 15 4520s. These things will blur your vision at 100 ft outdoors with a mere 360 watts per side. When you walk up to them they don't seem to be any louder. A lot of bands around here have basic front loaded subs and when you get close the bass is abusive, walk twenty feet back and its gone. I have many Peavey and Yorkville subs and 4 very large EAW subs that can be heard 1/4 mile away but I can't part with the scoops because they're so good and I've had them almost 30 years. JBL first sold these in the late 50s under a different number then called them the 4520 in the 70s, Paul.

Archived