Peavey SP-2

• Members

I've used the Impulse 1015 a few times and was very impressed. Very nice sounding and very good low frequency output for a plastic box. If you have a sub (or subs), the 1012s are more compact and easier to handle however. They used to be available in 4 or 8ohm models but not sure if they still are. Al - Party-Time! DJ Services

• CMS Author

I do try to take care of things, but ... bar gigs. So there's going to be some wear and tear, etc.

I have a pair of SP15M monitors and like them a lot. They're not uber-light, but they could be a
lot
heavier.
;)
I wanted the SP12Ms, but they were out so they offered me the 15Ms for an extra $30. I was ok with that.

At this point I'm trying to decide between the SP-2, the Impulse 1012, and the MRX 515. I'm leaning toward the Impulse because of the light weight. Plus I do like the thought of 12" woofers, since I'm running subs with it. A little more definition in the midrange would be nice.

You might want to lean towards the MRX515 then. It's 43lb to the 1012's 45lb, and the 1015's 55lb. If you can do with a 12" MRX, the MRX512M is 33lb.

• Members
Like I said, I'm very pleased with my 1012Ps, I think you'd love them.

Out of curiosity, what are you running for mains right now?

It's odd that you have higher quality monitors than mains.

The company that built my mains is called U.S. Megawatt. :D I'm pretty sure they've been out of business for years, as I haven't seen them around anytime recently. I bought these mains (no monitors) right after high school, and have had them ever since. They're 15" 3-way cabs with an Eminence 350W driver (I have no idea if that's the RMS or Program rating), a horn-loaded compression driver, and a bullet tweeter. I've always felt silly calling them "3-way" cabs, really, because it's a bass driver and two treble drivers.

Anyway, when I bought them, I bought locally and I bought what I could find and afford.

Later, I added two CGM 15" two-way monitors. Decent, but not stellar. When I needed more monitors, I spent more time looking around and came up with the Peavey SP-15Ms.

Over the years I've upgraded a piece here and a piece there. Now, the rest of my system is pretty decent. Not fantastic, but I think it's a solid system for a bar band.

(1) Mackie 1604-VLZ Pro
(2) Shure Beta 87a mics
(2) Shure SM-58 mics
(4) Shure SM-57 mics (guitar, guitar, snare, extra)
(1) Shure Beta 52a kick mic
(1) SansAmp BassDriver DI
(1) 50' 16x4-channel EWI stage snake from Audiopile
(1) ART reverb (which I never use because ever bar we play in is reverb hell)
(1) dbx 1046 4-channel compressor/limiter
(1) Peavey 31-band 2-channel EQ for the mains
(1) Peavey 15-band 2-channel EQ for the monitors
(1) QSC RMX-850 power amp for the monitors (two on each side in dual-mono)
(1) Crown XLS-602 power amp for the mains (either dual-mono or bridged depending on the gig)
(2) CGM 15" 2-way stage monitors
(2) Peavey SP-15M stage monitors
(2) Carvin LS-1801A 18" 700W active subwoofers
(1) metric buttload of cables, stands, etc...

All the rackmount gear (including the mixer) is in Gator rolling rack cases. Everything sounds good ... except at the last gig when I started pushing the mains, the highs started to distort. Pretty badly. I couldn't find anything clipping, and the lows were still solid, so I suspect that I was just overdriving the horns in the mains. So, thus the idea was born to upgrade the mains. :)

• Members

(1) Peavey 31-band 2-channel EQ for the mains

(1) Peavey 15-band 2-channel EQ for the monitors

If it were me I'd use the 15 band eq for the house and the 31 band for monitors since you are probably only doing "tone shaping" in the house but need to do "feedback elimination" in the monitors.

• Members
If it were me I'd use the 15 band eq for the house and the 31 band for monitors since you are probably only doing "tone shaping" in the house but need to do "feedback elimination" in the monitors.

That's ... actually, that's a valid point. I'd never thought of it like that before. :)

• Members
That same thing occurred to me a couple of weeks ago, I felt like a real dunce.

I don't feel like a dunce. I just think it's funny. :)

Incidentally, I decided to go with the Impulse 1012 speakers. I think they'll be just fine used with the subs.

Thanks for the input, everyone!

• Members

I have the predecessors of the 1012s, the Impulse 200s. I still love them and want another pair at some point. They sound, well, sweet, to my ear. Very clear vocals. Mine have worked fine outside for bar type gigs and private parties. Adding subs took care of my only beef...the Impulses didn't go that low-which was only a problem when we started running everything through the PA. For vocals, guitars, harps, etc-the Impulses were fine by themselves. It was only when kick, bass and keys entered the mix that I felt them lacking. There are certainly better sounding speakers out there, I'm sure. The Impulses just seemed to be a good balance of all that I was looking for in a system at the time. It's been ten years or so, since I got them but I'd still buy them again.

Kim

Archived