Peavey SP-2

• Members

I'm thinking of picking up a pair of these. I can't find anywhere local to try one out, but I own a pair of the SP-15M monitors and they've been very solid so far. They'll be used in conjunction with a pair of Carvin 18" 700W active subwoofers, and driven by a Crown XLS-602 amplifier. Has anyone used these speakers? Thoughts? Opinions? I'm just looking to upgrade my old speakers, as they were distorting the highs at our last gig. Should I go with the Yamaha Club series instead? I've used them with other bands and they're solid, but I've always liked Peavey gear. I know JBL also offers speakers in this price range, but I haven't used them.

I did run a search and couldn't find anything specific on the SP series, but if there's another thread I should be reading I'd appreciate someone pointing me toward it.

Thanks for any information. :)

• Members

Stay away from the JRX unless you want to work on your EQ proficiency.

I use powered Peavey Impulse speakers for my FOH and I am very pleased with their performance. Also the fact that my powered 1012s weight less than an SP2 is a big plus.

I wouldn't want to put SP2s up on poles every weekend.

• Members

Well, luckily, my band is actually pretty good about helping out with setting stuff up. Well, no, not the whole band, but some of them. Not really some of them, really, but there is one guy in the band who's very good about helping me set stuff up... Yeah, on second thought, maybe light WOULD be good. Any suggestions?

• Members

The current models are the best SP2's that Peavey has ever built. The drivers are more reliable than ever, they have the low distortion Q-wave horns and the passive crossovers are among the best anywhere.

SP's and Impulses share the same drivers. The bigger wooden box will give better bass performance and the plastic lighter weight.

• Members

FWIW

I've run Peavey SP-2's as the "indoor" rig for going on 10 years. They are great IMO. PLENTY loud for venues up to 400 peeps, and road worthy. (I've even had one take a tumble (pushed) off a 3 foot stage. Nothing happened to it. It's still cranking out the jams.)

In my rig I EQ out 2.6 khz a little to take out some mid highs, but nothing more than 2-3 db. Smooths it out a bit IMO.

All in all a great speaker in my opinion. Hard to go wrong particularly at the price point.

• Members

Well, luckily, my band is actually pretty good about helping out with setting stuff up. Well, no, not the whole band, but some of them. Not really some of them, really, but there is one guy in the band who's very good about helping me set stuff up... Yeah, on second thought, maybe light WOULD be good. Any suggestions?

Keep an eye on ebay. My patience paid off when I snagged a pair of Peavey 1012Ps for $800. They sell new for $750 each.

They weigh less than 60 pounds, the SP2s weigh in at 70 pounds and hte SP5s weigh 55 pounds.

Honestly, a pair of SP5s wouldn't be a bad way to go since you have a sub.

• Members

Keep an eye on ebay. My patience paid off when I snagged a pair of Peavey 1012Ps for $800. They sell new for $750 each.

They weigh less than 60 pounds, the SP2s weigh in at 70 pounds and hte SP5s weigh 55 pounds.

Honestly, a pair of SP5s wouldn't be a bad way to go since you have a sub.

So far as I can see, the SP5 is almost the same except it has the Scorpion driver and 100W less RMS power rating. I think I'd probably want to pay the small premium to go with the SP2, just because I like the idea of that 20% extra power capacity. It's probably silly of me, and the SP5 would probably be just fine, but I'd rather have extra capacity and not have to use it, than not have it and need it.

• Members

The SP2 box is also significantly larger.

The SP2s do sound much better, but in my brief listening tests, the difference was negated once a sub was added.

If you're using a crossover and not sending anything below 120 Hz to a pair of SP5s, I wouldn't worry about damaging the Scorpions.

Like I said, hold out for a pair of Impulses. They are lighter and loaded with Black Widows.

• Members

I'm not constricting myself to Peavey. :) "Should I go with the Yamaha Club series instead? I've used them with other bands and they're solid, but I've always liked Peavey gear. I know JBL also offers speakers in this price range, but I haven't used them."

I tend to like Peavey gear because it's usually very dependable, and the tone is almost always usable. But I'm certainly open to other suggestions!

Also, I just haven't been able to find a 12" top that looks like a good option to me. But I'm VERY interested in finding one if it's there, so please, give me some suggestions. :) Thanks!

• Members

Boy, these look interesting.
http://www.zzounds.com/item--PEVIMP1012
Peavey Impulse 1012. 12" Black Widow drivers, 500W continuous power handling, molded cabinet. Anybody know how they sound?
:)
Are there speakers similar to this from Yamaha, JBL, others...? I'm trying to keep my options open.

I am a huge fan of SP 5's.

Mine have been workhorse speakers for years. Small gigs, large gigs, outdoor sound gigs, etc. they just work as advertised.

For the money, I always recommend them over just about any speaker in their price range.

I am not a big fan of plastic cabinets yet...at least the lower cost speakers.

• Members

Boy, these look interesting.
http://www.zzounds.com/item--PEVIMP1012
Peavey Impulse 1012. 12" Black Widow drivers, 500W continuous power handling, molded cabinet. Anybody know how they sound?
Are there speakers similar to this from Yamaha, JBL, others...? I'm trying to keep my options open.

Do you have me on ignore?

I use a pair of the powered versions for my FOH tops. They deliver the goods.

• Members

Do you have me on ignore?

I use a pair of the powered versions for my FOH tops. They deliver the goods.

Did you say something? I'm ignoring you.

;) No, seriously, I just didn't catch that this was the same model number. Thanks! They look very interesting to me - Black Widow 12" driver, 500W RMS power capacity...

• Members

:mad:
Beats Mr J to a bloody pulp.
:mad:

I don't know that I'd be willing to pay the new price for them since that puts me in JBL MRX territory, but they are nice speakers.

The passive model seems to be just slightly cheaper than the SP-2. So, around $950 or so for a pair. That's not a bad price for a decent set of speakers. And these should be all I need for bar gigs and such.

• Members

Yep.

Also, the JBL MRX515s can be had for $600. They are roughly the same weight and people seem to really like the way they sound.

I've never heard them, but they were on the top of my list until I spotted the deal on the 1012Ps.

I think the replacement diaphragm and cone are significantly cheaper for the Peavey unit, though.

• Members

Yep.

Also, the JBL MRX515s can be had for $600. They are roughly the same weight and people seem to really like the way they sound.

I've never heard them, but they were on the top of my list until I spotted the deal on the 1012Ps.

I think the replacement diaphragm and cone are significantly cheaper for the Peavey unit, though.

I'd expect the JBL to have better bass response with the 15" woofer, but it has a lower power rating and frankly, I'm not all that concerned with the bass response since it will be used with subs. :) It's still a model I'm looking at, though, because I know JBL has nice speakers.

• Members

We were the house band for some 18-19 months which had a pair of the Impulse 15" suspended from ceiling hardware. The first weekend, I liked them. Over the next couple of months, I really started listening to them. I liked them even more. Another bassist sat in one night and I walked out front and gave a serious listen and liked them even more.

I am a big Impulse fan. What else can I say? I would get a pair without hesitation.

• Members

We were the house band for some 18-19 months which had a pair of the Impulse 15" suspended from ceiling hardware. The first weekend, I liked them. Over the next couple of months, I really started listening to them. I liked them even more. Another bassist sat in one night and I walked out front and gave a serious listen and liked them even more.

I am a big Impulse fan. What else can I say? I would get a pair without hesitation.

I'm giving it heavy consideration. :thu::)

• Members

I'm thinking of picking up a pair of these. I can't find anywhere local to try one out, but I own a pair of the SP-15M monitors and they've been very solid so far. They'll be used in conjunction with a pair of Carvin 18" 700W active subwoofers, and driven by a Crown XLS-602 amplifier. Has anyone used these speakers? Thoughts? Opinions? I'm just looking to upgrade my old speakers, as they were distorting the highs at our last gig. Should I go with the Yamaha Club series instead? I've used them with other bands and they're solid, but I've always liked Peavey gear. I know JBL also offers speakers in this price range, but I haven't used them.

I did run a search and couldn't find anything specific on the SP series, but if there's another thread I should be reading I'd appreciate someone pointing me toward it.

Thanks for any information.

We have a pair of sp-2s, and they are amazing speakers. They sound better than our yamahas, and have much more bass than the yammies or our JRX set. However, they are huge. A pain to move around. Great speakers, solid as a tank.

• Members

I'd expect the JBL to have better bass response with the 15" woofer, but it has a lower power rating and frankly, I'm not all that concerned with the bass response since it will be used with subs.
It's still a model I'm looking at, though, because I know JBL has nice speakers.

I wouldn't really give much thought to the power ratings, if you are playing regular bar gigs, using a crossover and running subs, there isn't much chance of you damaging either speaker. Based on what I know about you, I'm confident that you are a person who takes exceptional care of his gear.

I've done a couple of outdoor shows with my Impulses and never had to push them, I seriously doubt you will ever utilize the full alleged power handling.

What I will say for the 1012s is that the built in handles on the top are nice. I have a pair of PR12s that share the cab design. I can load in all four speakers in two trips. That would not be the case if I was running SP2s and SP12Ms. ;)

• Members

I do try to take care of things, but ... bar gigs. So there's going to be some wear and tear, etc.

I have a pair of SP15M monitors and like them a lot. They're not uber-light, but they could be a lot heavier. ;) I wanted the SP12Ms, but they were out so they offered me the 15Ms for an extra $30. I was ok with that.

At this point I'm trying to decide between the SP-2, the Impulse 1012, and the MRX 515. I'm leaning toward the Impulse because of the light weight. Plus I do like the thought of 12" woofers, since I'm running subs with it. A little more definition in the midrange would be nice.

Archived