to compress or not to compress?

• Members

I notice you say you are Croatian. if you are in Croatia (and even if you aren't) although there are certainly power amps and high quality power amps, I wouldn't be too fussy about the type of amp you use if funds are limited, which you say you are.

if you can find and old solid state guitar amp with a power amp in and out or an old Peavy head or something don't hestitate to bung it into the mix. something is better than nothing and watts, in the end, are watts.

• Members

Thanks!

Soon I'll be buying new poweramp for guitar, so I'll use Crate SPA-200 to power up the PA, which is a good reviewed poweramp. Just need to find out the best way to connect it. I'll mail peavey.

oh yeah, what about those mics? sennheiser E835 vs. Shure SM58?

or, what would be the best for screaming?

• Members

Thanks!

Soon I'll be buying new poweramp for guitar, so I'll use Crate SPA-200 to power up the PA, which is a good reviewed poweramp. Just need to find out the best way to connect it. I'll mail peavey.

You're going backwards. That Crate power amp has less power than the power amp within the Peavey.

• Members

well, hell he could run speaker off the Peavy and one off the Crate (be nice to know what the wattage is on the Crate before going to far down that road). might not be perfect but as has been pointed out the amp in Peavy is way over driven. anything that lifts that load might be a help.

sm58 whenever in doubt.

• Members

well, hell he could run speaker off the Peavy and one off the Crate (be nice to know what the wattage is on the Crate before going to far down that road). might not be perfect but as has been pointed out the amp in Peavy is way over driven. anything that lifts that load might be a help.

sm58 whenever in doubt.

Not really. You'll be raising the impedance at each amp with just a single 8 ohm load going to each, so you pretty much lose anything you had hoped to gain.

• Members

I think we have some confusion about what the amp is and what the speakers are ohmagewise.

I do agree that a new power amp would be a help, however whoever it was back there that talked about the 2ohm load out and the Peavey was on to something. I have this vague memory of these Peavey amps running at two ohms to achieve the 400 watt rating.

• Members

You say to buy something else rather than E835? I decided on it cause I read that they are better than SM58 and they are cheaper. OK, new help needed!

E835 is fine. I use 835's and 845's. I also use SM58's. All are fine...I just meant that there's many mic's that may suit your need. Do as much research and pricing as you can.

If you decide to upgrade your PA head, a mic that will do a good job for less money, means more to put towards a good PA head.:D

• Members

I think we have some confusion about what the amp is and what the speakers are ohmagewise.

I do agree that a new power amp would be a help, however whoever it was back there that talked about the 2ohm load out and the Peavey was on to something. I have this vague memory of these Peavey amps running at two ohms to achieve the 400 watt rating.

The mixer-amp uses the PA-400 module and does about 400 @ 2 ohms, 250 @4 ohms and 100 @8 ohms. Speakers are 8 ohms each, total load is 4 ohms and that's 125 watts per speaker.

• Members

Yes, I suppose thats it cause its not a stereo amp, it has paralell outs.

I thought to increse power by putting crate in a "main in/out" loop or just from main out to crate in order to get additional 200W if possible.

Manual says (if I understood right) that it can support extra poweramp.

Could someone check the manual above and see if I'm right, some things are not quite clear to me.

• Members

Do not hook the powered outputs of the Peavey to the Crate. You'll destroy both. You can't get additional volume by "chaining" amps together.

Save your money and buy a proper tool for the job. Read the "Guide for Goobers" at the top of the page.

A used e835 or SM58 will do the job on the cheap.

• Members

OK, so it can not be done. Paralell the internal poweramp of peavey and crate.

What did they mean when they said that main out can be used to connect extra poweramps?

Can I get another, stronger poweramp and use only mixer from peavey with new poweramp?

I'll lay my eye on the thread you mentioned when I catch some time, but in the end of this discussion conclusion would be:

-buy new mic

-don't compress

-save for better powermixer (or poweramp + mixer) - SUGGESTION NEEDED!

-untill then, don't touch anything, use the best that can current PA give.

• Members

I know, but I dont have my own mic so I have to buy it anyway!

P.S. I wrote peavey about connecting extra poweramp to PA-400 and this is what I got:

bla bla bla ...

I have Peavey PA-400 powermixer that I want to upgrade by attaching a

additional poweramp.

Which is the best way to do it? Should I use out and in, or only out

and connect speakers to a new poweramp?

Thanks,

Best regards,

Alen

Customer Service

Hello Alen,

Allyou would need to do is, come from the Main Out Jack located on the

front of the PA 400, to the input of the new power amp .. Connect your

speakers to the new Power amp..

Regards,

Leon Williams

lwilliams@peavey.com

• Members

I know, but I dont have my own mic so I have to buy it anyway!

P.S. I wrote peavey about connecting extra poweramp to PA-400 and this is what I got:

bla bla bla ...

I have Peavey PA-400 powermixer that I want to upgrade by attaching a

additional poweramp.

Which is the best way to do it? Should I use out and in, or only out

and connect speakers to a new poweramp?

Thanks,

Best regards,

Alen

Customer Service

Hello Alen,

Allyou would need to do is, come from the Main Out Jack located on the

front of the PA 400, to the input of the new power amp .. Connect your

speakers to the new Power amp..

Regards,

Leon Williams

That's correct, but does nothing for you because your other power amp is no more powerful than the Peavey and you can't ADD UP the power.

• CMS Author

The e835 and the SM-58 are very similar. Here in the US, they are both $100, but the Sennheiser can be cheaper in quantity.

The main difference is that the e835 has less proximity effect than the SM-58.

You wrote that you are using a Beta-58 now. You'll probably find the SM-58 or the e835 will distort a bit more than the Beta when you scream...the Beta-58 is supposedly a go-to mic for powerful singers.

• Members

That's correct, but does nothing for you because your other power amp is no more powerful than the Peavey and you can't ADD UP the power.

Ok, so it can be done but with a stronger amp cause main output just skips the power section and chains only peaveys mixer and the new poweramp, so the main volume of the peavey would not work at all.

Someone said that I'll burn everithing that way.

about the mics... I had a filing that beta could handle more input volume than the SM. Damn, cause I just found a cheap barely used second hand SM 58 at my friend!

• Members
Ok, so it can be done but with a stronger amp cause main output just skips the power section and chains only peaveys mixer and the new poweramp, so the main volume of the peavey would not work at all.

Someone said that I'll burn everithing that way.

about the mics... I had a filing that beta could handle more input volume than the SM. Damn, cause I just found a cheap barely used second hand SM 58 at my friend!

Get the SM58 if you need a mic and it is cheap. Some pretty robust voices have used them with good results over the years. And yes, if your Peavey has a mixer/pre out that's where you'd connect a different power amp. If it has a power amp in you could access the opwer amp section of the Peavey and use it to power whatever. Most SS power sections do not require a load on them when turned on. Tube amps do.

Archived