how much gear would you take?

• Members

I have to play a gig before an audience of 400-500 people in a theatre hall

I have a pair of RCF ART310A (350W each) http://www.rcfaudio.com/vediMacro.phtml/sLang/EN/IDMacro/2695/menuAttivo/1674/m1/0/ARTSeriesART310-A/product.htm

I have some friends who have another pair of RCF ART310A + the subwoofer ART 705-AS (800w) which I can borrow whenever I want.

http://www.rcfaudio.com/vediMacro.phtml/sLang/EN/IDMacro/1682/menuAttivo/1674/m1/0/ARTSeriesART705-AS/product.htm

How much gear do you think I'll "really" need? I have to carry everthing by myself and I don't want to break my back unless necessary. I don't need to blow people's ears, either: an acceptable volume is enough.

Would you take just 2 ART310A, 4 ART310A, 2xART310 + Subwoofer or would you take the whole bunch of 4xART310A + subwoofer?

I repeat. I have to take everything by myself and I don't want to take more than I really need.

I'll be playing some backing tracks + an electric guitar + 2 lead vocals. As monitor, I'll be using a CRATE taxi limo TX50 (50w)

Your opinions will really be appreciated

thanks

• CMS Author

What's an "acceptable" volume is way too subjective to venture a guess. Depending what the backing tracks are, you could possibly do without the subs. Only use them if there's source that's below about 100Hz that really needs to stand out. You didn't specify genre, so I can't guess what you need there.

Having said this, none of the items you mention are terribly large or heavy, but you're looking at a pretty big hall for what you've listed. I'd bring everything, and set up what you feel will do the job, do a quick sound check, and if it's coming up short, drag the rest in from your transport vehicle as needed. It's a helluva lot better to bring more than you need than less.

• Members

Bring it all.

Without seeing the room and without knowing the challenges you will face, you'd be better off showing up prepared for any contingency.

Personally, I think cabs with 10" woofers will get lost in that environment. Further, a 50 watt combo amp is a poor choice for a monitor - it will generate more feedback then music.

I'd try to see if you can get a rehearsal in the space prior to your gig. This way you can work with, or around, your sound system.

• Members

Either the 4 tops : 2 on the floor and and 2 on stands OR 2 tops on stands and the sub. If your music isn't bass heavy, the 4 tops would be the better solution and should be sufficient to get a reasonable amount of sound for such a crowd given what you are amplifying. I almost bought a set of those speakers, they look like really good quality cabs. :thu: Al

• Members

I think that I'll definitely take the 4x 10", which will give me 1400W of power. By the way, the RCF ART310As are little and really light, but they really rock!!!!! I'm absolutely pleased with them. To my ears, they sound better -and with more bass- than most 12' or even 15' speakers I've tried.

The only thing that I'm still thinking about is whether I really need the 18' sub (almost 40 Kgs!!!). Do you think it will make a difference for backing tracks + guitar and vocals??? If it really has to make a difference, I'll take it since it's quite an important gig. However, I wouldn't like to carry around 40 Kgs of sub unnecessarily and hardly notice the difference, since I'm not miking any bass or kick.

Do you really think that the sub will make a difference????

Thanks

• Members

If you're not sending any sub 100 hz audio to the subs...then they will have nothing to reinforce. If you're not micing the kick and bass then forget the sub (although I'd mic the kick - DI the Bass and bring the sub).

• Members

I think that I'll definitely take the 4x 10", which will give me 1400W of power.

The only thing that I'm still thinking about is whether I really need the sub (almost 40 Kgs!!!). Do you think it will make a difference for backing tracks + guitar and vocals??? If it really has to make a difference, I'll take it since it's quite an important gig. However, I wouldn't like to carry around 40 Kgs of sub and hardly notice the difference since I'm not miking any bass or bass drums.

Thanks

If you don't have any kick drum or instruments producing really low frequencies, then no, the sub won't make much of a difference. Al

• Members

2 tops on stands and the sub. If your music isn't bass heavy, the 4 tops would be the better solution and should be sufficient to get a reasonable amount of sound for such a crowd given what you are amplifying. I almost bought a set of those speakers, they look like really good quality cabs.
:thu:
Al

By placing 2 tops on stands and 2 on the floor, would I have more bass (or better sound) than by placing the 4 tops on stands? This would seem a good solution!:thu:

• Members

Sounds to me that you really need the bottom end. This venue is pretty big. I would stick two tops as high as I could go on stands and put the other two either on the floor or on stands about 3-4 feet in the air. Definitely bring the sub and I would probably start the crossover at 120hz. If you have a seperate crossover that you can use I might even run the sub a bit higher than that like 150hz. It has a pretty tight sound to it and a 15" speaker so it should handle all the lows and low mids then that would free up the tops even more. With out the sub your asking the little tops-even though they sound great, to do alot. You need to get the bottom out of them.

• Members
I think that I'll definitely take the 4x 10", which will give me 1400W of power. By the way, the RCF ART310As are little and really light, but they really rock!!!!! I'm absolutely pleased with them. To my ears, they sound better -and with more bass- than most 12' or even 15' speakers I've tried.

The only thing that I'm still thinking about is whether I really need the 18' sub (almost 40 Kgs!!!). Do you think it will make a difference for backing tracks + guitar and vocals??? If it really has to make a difference, I'll take it since it's quite an important gig. However, I wouldn't like to carry around 40 Kgs of sub unnecessarily and hardly notice the difference, since I'm not miking any bass or kick.

Thanks

For typical high energy rock music(not metal)I would want 4 18" e-horns or dual 18" front-loads for subs alone. So probably 2500-3000 watts for subs and about 1/2 that for top cabs. BTW, that one single sub is less than 90lbs! That's hardly massive.

• Members

By placing 2 tops on stands and 2 on the floor, would I have more bass (or better sound) than by placing the 4 tops on stands? This would seem a good solution!
:thu:

Yes, the two enclosures that are not stand mounted will couple to the floor and give you more low end compared to if all four were stand mounted. As others have mentionned however, do not expect much bass in your sound... As high quality as these speakers are, they are still only loaded with 10'' woofers. Four of them would be okay and will be loud enough with vocals and guitars. Anything more than that and subs are required for this amount of people. Look at Tlbonehead's post. The amount of speakers he lists is resonable for a rock band with bass and kick going through the system. I was under the impression you were basically running guitar and vocals. The advice seems to be bring the sub. I suggest you bring it along in your vehicle and first try the system with only the tops. If it works, great! If not, at least your sub is in your vehicle. Next time you'll have a better idea. So, will there be a drummer in this band or is it really just guitars and vocals? It still isn't clear for me. Thanks :) Al

• Members

I would think that there would be low frequencies in the backing tracks if they consist of drums and bass.

The OP hasn't clarified exactly what his backing tracks are or of what instruments they consist of (unless I missed something :confused:). Now that I look back at the style of music though, it's hard to imagine these songs without drums or bass but, who knows? If they are drums and bass, then the sub will certainly be required. I recommended the 4 tops for vocals and guitars only... Al

• Members

Bring it all, or rent a sound company for your piece of mind.

I just did a briefcase gig on Saturday that I used the band's system. This was in a room that I mix quite frequently with my regular band. My PA has 10000 total watts for all the FOH speakers. This band had about 3000 watts total. I wanted to bring my system in, but in this case the bar owner had these guys in for cheap and they couldn't afford to get my system.

They didn't have ANY outboard gear; No eqs, no gates, no nothing.

It was too bad. During the second set, the owner wanted the DJ to play the rest of the night, cutting off the band.

It sounded pretty good for what I had to work with, but not anywhere near what it needed to be for a Saturday night.

Their speakers were a mismatch of different sizes and types. This proved to not be effective for this venue.

Do yourself a favor and rent the right size system (sound company) for the job and don't be embarrased like this band was.

• Members

Yea... I am not sure what to think... but 350 - 400 people in a hall is a big gig... I am not one who likes for music to be too loud, but I think I would be wanting to bring a lot more gear than you are talking about. Either you or someone has to provide a proper sound system for this gig or it will be lacking. If the problem is carrying all the stuff yourself, get a helper. It is always nice to have someone in your corner anyhow.

I am not really familiar with those boxes... but counting on 4 10" speakers to cover 400 people sounds frightening to me. Just doesn't sound like much pop or juice. They look like nice boxes though... I would like to hear some.

• CMS Author

I don't see what's the big issue. The gig is important, the genre is rock, the hall is large. Unless you are physically carrying everything from home to the venue and back, bring it all. Use a hand truck or a moving dolly. The boxes you've talked about are small, the sub is only 10lb heavier than my bass amp head.....

• Members

It was too bad. During the second set, the owner wanted the DJ to play the rest of the night, cutting off the band.

It sounded pretty good for what I had to work with, but not anywhere near what it needed to be for a Saturday night.

Their speakers were a mismatch of different sizes and types. This proved to not be effective for this venue.

I suspect the band wasn't that good either..

Archived