dbx driverack pa VS 260

• Members

Does anybody know some of the main advantages of the 260 over the PA? I don't think I will be using a laptop, so that application is not a necessity.

I'm just a mobile/club DJ with a bi-amped system. I mostly tune my current system with just an EQ and a x-over. I like the idea of maximizing the quality of my sound in each room relatively quickly. I don't have a processor or compressor so I'm constantly watching all the different DJ's levels, gain structure, etc. It's annoying, time consuming, and gives me anxiety at every gig.

I can buy the PA on credit ($500) OR.... I can get the 260 used (for the same price $500) BUT, I will have to pay cash. Spending cash is gonna hurt right after X-mas. Is the 260 TOO MUCH for my needs??

• Members

Consider the Peavey VSX26 too. More functionality than the PA, and $50 less. I own the VSX48. It does what it's supposed to do. Really works well optimizing the subwoofer. You don't really think about EQing the subs much (you generally can't do much with a 31 band down there.

• Members

the main dif is...

1 260 can hook up to computer and use driverack software

2 260 has longer delay times for satelite speakers if needed

3 260 left and right can be used indepentatly and the PA the left and right are tied together

ps i might know someone selling a 260 for $440 with 60 day warranty....

• Members

260 has mutes on each channel, PA does not

260 allows real time RTA during performance, PA does not

If you have a simple set up and won't end up tweaking and playing with the system, stick with the PA.

The 260 is a much better unit but it also opens up a greater possibility of screwing up the system because of it's added functionality. If you are a novice there are a lot of bells & whistles on the 260 that should only be touched by experienced hands.

• Members

Is the 260 TOO MUCH for my needs??

If the DRPA does what YOU need it to do, then stop there. If it doesn't then buy the 260. You have to know what you need it to do. There is nothing wrong with the DRPA for the features it has. If it doesn't have the features you need, there is no discussion required.

I do own a number of DRPA's and they are OK. I bought a VSX26 and it now handles FOH duties because it offers more, which I need. I think it sounds better, but that is subjective and your ears may not agree. Actually the VSX is on par with the 260 if not better. It currently does not (and may never have) the promised computer live link, but it does what I need since I use a Mac and the the dbx software wouldn't help me at all.

• Members

What all does the VSX26 offer you? I've been reading the manual to see what it can tell you, and it's not as helpful as it can be.

How are any of the presets?

Does the RTA mic auto-eq the room like the DRPA?

What kind of configurations can you setup with the 6 outputs?

Thanks for the input!

• Members

What all does the VSX26 offer you?.....

How are any of the presets?

I can't say because I have no other Peavey gear where presets would apply.

Does the RTA mic auto-eq the room like the DRPA?

Yes, it does a much better job. The DRPA will sometimes make it sound worse, but I have not seen that with the VSX. I don't auto-eq much with either piece anyway.

What kind of configurations can you setup with the 6 outputs?

You can make most anything you need since any input can be assigned to any output.

Thanks for the input!

Your welcome. You should look closely at both units when deciding.

I like:

the MUCH longer delays that be assigned.

the better sounding auto-eq when you use it.

the ability to save presets to external devices for backup.

the ability to use configuration software on my MAC (yeah!!!)

the greater selection of crossover parameters.

that it has no thump issues at on/off.

that it has no display issues (all of my DRPA's had issues but dbx did send out free kits to fix the displays so they are fine now.)

the fact that it just seems to sound better.

I could go on, but won't.

• Members

Yes, it does a much better job. The DRPA will sometimes make it sound worse, but I have not seen that with the VSX. I don't auto-eq much with either piece anyway.

A big selling point on the driverackPA for me was the RTA mic for auto eq-ing a room!! We just use 2 subs and 2 mains for a DJ setup but in a variety of different rooms not usually used for sound at all. Theres some funky acoustics that I thought the PA would be great for. Is this just a bad feature that the driverack really can't accomplish well regardless of your setup? thanx

• Members

In 6 or 7 years with both the DRPA and now a 260, I have never had a situation where a room sounded worse after using an RTA to adjust EQ. We always run the same program (music) through the speakers before we do the RTA thing in case we like the room as is. We have been able to use other set ups without doing the RTA but we have never had a room sound worse after it. The 260 offers real time RTA while in "live" mode (during performance) the PA does not allow that.

• Members

Equalizers are not effective in solving problems caused by phase cancellations or diaphragmatic absorption (like walls vibrating or large glass windows vibrating).

Real time analyzers cannot tell what is causing the problem and see only EQ as the solution. ... be it a stand alone RTA or the auto function in the DBX. If the DBX sees a hole it tries to boost to fill it in and if it sees a peak it tries to cut it down. Holes are almost always caused by phasing problems or absorptions. Both are like black holes in that you cannot fill them. If you try you create other problems, distortions and use up valuable power that could actually produce sound somewhere else in the spectrum.

In my tests with a DriverackPA it caused more problems than it helped and usually created some horrific curves that usually included large amounts of extreme treble and bass boosts. To be perfectly fair ... this will depend on the speakers used. Things with corrected phase response would do better ... but there aren't many of those and if you had them you probably wouldn't be needing a DSP anyway.

The VSX also uses a RTA to measure but only cuts the peaks and makes no attempts to fill the holes (which it couldn't do anyway). It also doesn't try to do anything to freqs below 100 Hz nor above 10K. Pretty much anything that low is caused by the room itself and you really need to move walls to solve (or other crazy stuff).

Neither system will "fix" the response but the Peavey will never make it worse.

A better way is to use some measurement tool that does "transfer function" measurements ... Smaart, TEF, Easra Systune, etc. and then use delay (phase shift) and parametric EQ to deal with it.

• Members

+1 for the Peavey VSX26

It works very well for me, using subs and biamped tops.

The RTA works well, usually needs little or no additional tweaking.

Save presets to a USB stick.

I have not used the Driverack, so I can't give you a comparison.

• Members

Saving the presets to a stick is cool. Can't do that on a DR. Actually it might be possible since the Driveware software does save presets. I can't compare because I never used the Peavey but I am very happy with both the DRPA and DR260.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I have the DRPA also. I have never had a room sound worse after auto EQ either.

In fact, I am often astonished at the results which are easily A/B'd by using the bypass after AUTOEQ is done.

That being said, I have had my DRPA for about as long as the DRPA has been around (4-5 years?). At that time, Peavey didn't have anything like it.

I have heard nothing but good things about the new Peavey. If I were to purchase today, I would likely go with Peavey.

• Members

I should be getting my New MixWiz3 16:2 tomorrow... and the next item on my purchase plan is going to be a PA Management system. I am planning on using the Mono Out as a Sub Mix for my subwoofer. (Aux 6 on the mixwiz) This way I can send only the Bass and Kick to the sub and leave vocals and guitar and such out of the sub mix. I have looked at the DRPA, VSX26, etc etc... But the DRPA only has 2 inputs... has anyone used the 3rd Front input on the VSX26 as a Sub Input? Does it work well? Are there any other units out there (in similar price range - NO DR 480 is out of my price range) that have 3 inputs to run the sub? Or should I run the sub out from the mixer directly into the sub (which has a Low Freq Filter of 300hz -JBL JRX118SP)???

Archived