Need help with guitar amp...

• Members

Please dont banish this question to the Amp forum where I've tried unsuccessfully 3 times already. :mad: I know the experts here know enough about this stuff. :)

I have a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe single 12" that after about 10 minutes of playing starts to pop softly and intermittently. Each time it triggers the volume to rise/drop. My hope is that this is a power tube issue. Any clues before I ring it to shop? Thanks...

• Members

Please dont banish this question to the Amp forum where I've tried unsuccessfully 3 times already.
:mad:
I know the experts here know enough about this stuff.
:)

I have a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe single 12" that after about 10 minutes of playing starts to pop softly and intermittently. Each time it triggers the volume to rise/drop. My hope is that this is a power tube issue. Any clues before I ring it to shop? Thanks...

This is probably a resistor problem.Fairly common to these amps.I don't remember the web site but is has troubleshooting for the hrd and will explain it more.Just google it or search for the amp name with troublesooting and you should find it.It would be a repair shop situation unless your bass player is an EE like mine.Hope this helps.

• Members

Please dont banish this question to the Amp forum where I've tried unsuccessfully 3 times already.
:mad:
I know the experts here know enough about this stuff.
:)

You shouldn't have to take it to a tech just to see if it is power or preamp tube related. I would certainly eliminate that possibility before taking it in.

• Members
First guess is power tubes. It could also be defective sockets that do not have adequate pin tension as they get hot, or have an oxide on their surface. Try gently wiggling the power tubes and see if the popping goes away.

I've solved a lot of problems over the years by just reseating the tubes, pre and power.

• Members

I went back and looked and if it is NOT the tubes it may be this plate load problem.It is commonly the 82k plate load resistor of the phase invertor.supposedly there was a vendor problem with these resistors which caused them to open under normal conditions.The website is the Unofficial Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Owners Guide.

By the way Fender now has an extension speaker for these amps.Just came out this month.

• Members

I jammed with a guy yesterday who used a Hot Rod Deluxe 1x12 and said he's had lots of problems. I bought a new 1x12 HRD as an extra practice amp maybe 2 1/2 years ago, sold it last year. It's the only amp in years I've had problems with that were more than just tube issues.

I'd check the warranty status and use it if I were you.

Archived