Power Amp Suggestions

• Members

I just left the band I had been in for 6 years and owned most of the PA with

the exception of the FOH power amps.

I own the following:

MixWiz Board

(4) EV SX300's (2 for FOH, 2 as monitors)

(2) Yorkville LS808 Subwoofers

DBX 2231 EQ

Rane AC22 Crossover

I am thinking I would like to get one larger amp and run one side for

the subs and the other for the EV SX300's for FOH. I am looking for

suggestions on what would be a good fit.

I have access to a QSC PLX 3102 for monitors so I am looking for

FOH power amp only.

• Members

If you are running subs (LS808) with the poweramp I personaly would stay away from the PLX series amps, I ran a PLX3402 on my LS608 subs and hated it. I switched to the RMX4050HD and have been very pleased with the difference, you could easily run the (2) LS808 subs from one channel and the (2) SX300's from the other channel. The amp is a LOT heavier then the PLX series but I feel it's worth it for how much better your subs will sound.

• Members

I run plenty of PLX's for subs and I have never had a client complain ever. I've probably got a dozen subs w/ PLX's powering them, have for years.

I was originally not thinking about a PLX or switch mode amp because I

thought it wouldn't have enough balls to push the subs.

I then thought about the RMX 4050 or 5050 and more concerning to me

than their substantial weight is that I hear they are "AC Hogs"

Some of the venues we play at have some definite issues as far as

power availability.

Guess I'm looking for an amp that will handle the LS808 subs and not

be an AC hog.

Do you think a QSC PLX3602 would be able to hande the LS808's ?

• Members
I was originally not thinking about a PLX or switch mode amp because I

thought it wouldn't have enough balls to push the subs.

I then thought about the RMX 4050 or 5050 and more concerning to me

than their substantial weight is that I hear they are "AC Hogs"

Some of the venues we play at have some definite issues as far as

power availability.

Guess I'm looking for an amp that will handle the LS808 subs and not

be an AC hog.

Do you think a QSC PLX3602 would be able to hande the LS808's ?

Serious??:eek: It puts out 700+ watts @8 ohms. If that doesn't get you there, you don't have enough speaker, as opposed to power.

• Members

On one circuit I run my complete PA and bass rig with no power issues at all.

PA:

QSC RMX4050HD (subs 2xLS608's)

QSC PLX3402 (tops 2xRCF325i)

QSC PLX3002 (monitors 4xCM15V)

Bass rig:

Eden WT1205 (1200w @ 4ohms)

The RMX4050HD running the subs runs noticeably cooler compaired to the PLX3402 that is pushing the tops. If you can A/B a PLX3402/3602 to a RMX4050HD decide for yourself which sounds better, I did and IMO there is no comparison, the 4050 is the clear winner.

• Members

On one circuit I run my complete PA and bass rig with no power issues at all.

PA:

QSC RMX4050HD (subs 2xLS608's)

QSC PLX3402 (tops 2xRCF325i)

QSC PLX3002 (monitors 4xCM15V)

Bass rig:

Eden WT1205 (1200w @ 4ohms)

The RMX4050HD running the subs runs noticeably cooler compaired to the PLX3402 that is pushing the tops. If you can A/B a PLX3402/3602 to a RMX4050HD decide for yourself which sounds better, I did and IMO there is no comparison, the 4050 is the clear winner.

My PLXs get run on subs in the summer @2 ohms on hot humid days pushed hard and they never seem to even get warm. Never compared them to RMXs but I have used MX series amps (hardly a slouch) with the same subs and my PLXs certainly aren't weak in comparison.

• Members

Hey towndog,

I personally, would get the amp that best suits your needs based upon price, ROI, reliability, practicallity, etc., and buy it for that reason, as opposed to what someone else sees as a better amp for whatever reason.

For reference.....we use MA3600's on our subs for our production company anywhere we can. Arguably one of the finest amps you can put on subs, however they're heavy, power hungry bastards,...... but man......they sound great & kick like a mule. When power requirements are not an issue, I'll gladly deal w/ the extra weight to use them.

For my band, or small club sound gigs........I use PLX3402's on my subs. Arguably one of the least regarded amps for sub duty, but they're very light, very efficient, and man.....they sound great IMO. I'll gladly deal w/ whatever loss of oomph there is associated w/ them to have such a light weight, efficient, reliable, great sounding amp to use.

My point is this........I'm probably at extreme opposite ends of the spectrum concerning regards for what is a great sub amp, yet I like both amps equally for differant reasons. They both have their place IMO, and what one can do so well...... the other simply can't.

Figure out what is most important & reasonable to you as the user. Choose your amp based upon that, reliability, ROI, etc. and buy it. You'll then know, the amp you purchased is the best amp for you..........period. Some amps may do this or that better, but it doesn't mean it's best for you as the end user.

Good luck,

Smitty

• Members

I agree.

i respectfully disagree, in my experience the PLX does not have the balls needed to power subs, and if you A/B them to other amps of similar power rating and different topology you will find the the PLX's Lack.

I would suggest

Crest CA12, or CC4000

or

Yorkville AP4040

or

Larger RMX Series

(flame suit on)

• Members

i respectfully disagree, in my experience the PLX does not have the balls needed to power subs, and if you A/B them to other amps of similar power rating and different topology you will find the the PLX's Lack.

I would suggest

Crest CA12, or CC4000

or

Yorkville AP4040

or

Larger RMX Series

(flame suit on)

I agree:thu: ......especialy about the flame suit:cool:

• Members

Then pity the poor fools who have found the PL6.0's.

Then pity the poor fools who think a PLX sounds like an MA on subs.

Sorry, I really mean no disrespect. This subject has been beaten to death, yet it still has as many standing on one side of the issue as it does the other.

I guess I fall into the camp of technical idiots who hears what he hears.

• Members

I have to agree with agedhorse on this. SMPS or linear power supply makes no difference. It will once the amp gets in to clip mode which is where a lot of differences show up. Maybe this is what you're hearing? Also recognize that input impeadance will change many peoples perception of what is louder or ballsier. Do you know what the input impeadance of the amps you run are? Balanced vs unbalanced?

p

• Members

Hi All,

In the interst of learning from this forum, which by the way I have learned alot from all the people who participate. But from what I'm reading in this thread is that different amps produce "better or different" sound thru a given set of speakers. There was mentioned, that this topic was covered before, could someone provide a link if possible, I am curious to read it.

Also, I am now powering a set of JBL MRX518's with a QSC PLX3402 and I have to admit it sounds pretty good. But am I to believe that this amp doesn't have the ability to run the subs very good, and a different amp will produce better result's. thanks :cool:

• Members

Ok, pitty the poor fools who have "upgraded" to the I-Techs.

Whatever.

Are you suggesting that PLX's, PL's, & I-Tech's are all the same because they share SMPS circuirty? Probably not......much like I was not suggesting that all SMPS amps are created equal.....so yeah, whatever

However, I am saying that a PLX does not sound like an MA on subs. Is it input gain, impedence, whatever....I'm not sure......I personally don't care,and........ I'm not alone. Still alot of people on each side of this issue.

I'm not here to get in a technical tug of war, and I certainly don't want to beat this horse anymore than it already has been. I like my PLX's fine, but I'll take my MA's whenever I can.

Archived