EURODESK SL3242FX-PRO...How do you like it

• Members

I've used (but thankfully never owned) 5 or 6 Behringer boards... the old MX2442 (best of the bunch until the power supply packed in - they cannot repair or replace them any more), the UB3242FX (5 dead channels despite never having left the church it was installed in, and being kept in a dust-free cupboard) and a handful of smaller boards (again, power supply problems, dead channels, and they just sounded bad!). The "invisible" mic preamps are pretty much worthless. I've also used a couple of Soundcraft boards (got a Folio F1-16 kicking around that we use in a push for extra drum channels, and used a couple of Powerstations, a Live4 and an LX7 for gigs) that were better but still didn't feel or sound great (reliable though!)), the 24 channel Allen & Heath (GL2400?) that Fallen Angel (one of my bands) owns (very good, but a little confusing to use, and weighs a ton!), and my own baby, which is a Mackie Onyx 1640. In my experience, it's been pretty much bulletproof and outperforms every other desk I've used by some margin. If the bigger Onyx desks are anything like the 16-channel one, then that's the one to go for.

You buy something from a real manufacturer, you pay for it once. You buy something from Behringer, you pay for it 3 times, so it ends up costing more...

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I read some of your post. Sometimes high price product just for marketing , but same as other product. Sometimes, I don't believe that buy high price product will be good as other company lower price.

Sometimes, sometimes. Give me examples. The good products usually get advertising by word of mouth and don't need the higher advertising budget.

I can guarantee that Behringer are not making their savings on advertising. They are making money buy the sheer quantity they sell. They have to put out huge amounts of advertising to negate the negative press they get.

(my experience is a situation where I saw 13 out of 16 behringer desks have something wrong with them within a year period).

• Members

I read some of your post. Sometimes high price product just for marketing , but same as other product. Sometimes, I don't believe that buy high price product will be good as other company lower price.

A friend of mine uses a Behringer board and it sounds close to terrible, few dead channels too. I don't think you should ever get anything from Behringer besides their SM58 copycat, which is OK for the money. I think you should keep the Mackie, a 32 channel Eurodesk will have around 24 channel working very soon anyway.

• Members

Somtimes people are both stubborn and gullable as well.

• Members

I'm not trying to put negative to the answer. I want to hear and share the experience from ppl. I don't have chance to hand on all the board on market. I think very rare to have ppl have luck to hand on all board out there. If I have negative then don't be offended to me. I work at electronic company, our products way better than other electronic company, but we have to low our price for better quality because we want ppl know us at first, and also we don't have strong marketing group. The smart shopper doesn't not mean that pay for high price and get good quality.

For example: I have Zenith 50 "Plasma TV cost $2,000 less than LG, but same exact size model etc... It make from LG and warranty from LG too. So if I buy LG then I pay $2,000 for LG brand stick on same exact from inside to outside tv. All that bring to me here to ask questions and read answer and come out the conclusion for me which is have more good or more bad. I want to upgrade my board not downgrade. I'm happy with Mackie like I said above give me easy control sweet vocal. Then ppl will ask me why don't you stick with Mackie ? well as we all know electronic technology grow very fast now and day. That's why I'm come here to learn new thing. I have Crown Micro Tech, it give me tight and clean sound, but too heavy for me or I get older.

I see Crown proud to have I-Tech series which is LIGHT weight and strong power, but QSC already have Light weight . I don't have chance to use QSC yet, but if QSC is light weight, strong the same and lower price. I go with QSC. This is my opion, I still want to learn more before I make decision which one I'll get. If the result come out bad then I'll accept with happy because That's all my research.

To me so far ppl more positive to Alen & Health board.

• CMS Author

Subsrock has similar needs to yours, and the same advice applies...if you need 32 channels, then you need to be looking at 32-channel boards, not 22, 24, 26, etc. That typically means a 40-input frame size, and this typically means a professional console. That's a substantial increase in price over a Behringer board, but it also gets you something that won't fail in a few months.

I have no idea what your actual budget is, but if you're truly in need of this size mixer, you're looking at a $3000 investment or close to it.

• Members

Both the Crown and QSC lightweight products are high quality from good companies but not "low priced" compared to other "cheap" brands out there.

If you compare either of these products to the cheap stuff, there are BIG differences in quality, warranty, supoport and real world performance.

• Members

I own a Behringer SL3242FX, every single channel minus the stereo channels are dead. And one of the two stereo channels only outputs to the left. Mackie isn't great, but its Waaaayyyyy better the behringer. If you can, get a Yamaha or A&H.

Subsrock, If ALL channels are out, likely it's a common problem and usually easier to fix. I'd say it's worth looking into if nothing more to have a sellable unit.

You've had to turn down gigs because of no mixer? No rental places around? (none in my area, either). No friends with mixers to loan?

For the OP,

The A&H GL series mixers ARE tour capable and reliable. The new GL2400 are great, but the used 2000 or 2200 models are pretty nice too while being reasonably priced. Also rethink your actual channel usage, true needs from wants. My band's last mixer purchase was overkill IMO, but the extra channels are nice. I think a MW3 would have been fine but we got a GL2400-24. I didn't pay so fine with me. I still have a little Peavey RQ2314 for the small gigs and backup. Oh, and the 2400-24 replaced a Behringer MX2442A, about 10 years old with only one bad channel and Phantom power crapped out. The 2442 still gets used for other gigs.

Boomerweps

• Members

no head room .

+10000000

I used Behr boards for a LONG time and it is amazing how much more headroom other boards have. I dont think I ever ran a show on my Behr boards where I didnt have at least a few channels with the gain completely off that were still constantly clipping. With the same signal, on my A&H Mixwiz I can run the gain at 11 o clock just start touching nominal on the meters. As far as quality goes, I never had a problem with my SL3242. I used it for about 2 years and I sold to a guy who is still using it. No problems for either of us. The thing about Behringer is this: Where else are you going to find a 32 ch console with dual FX processors for $550? even used? That is why they are so popular. The mistake a lot of people make is that they look at equipment in the short term. They arent bad boards, but you will be happier in the long run if you spend some more cash and get a nice console with a solid warranty.

• Members

The first thing I'd want to know would be why you need 32 channels. Do you really need that many? I'm not saying you don't, but I've had to run sound for bands that had two guitar players that each took up a couple of channels (one for amp, one for acoustic), a bass player, a keyboard player, four vocal mics, a rather large multi-piece drumset and some hand percussion with a 24 channel board and was able to do so without running out of channels. What exactly is this board going to be used for? Like was mentioned before, a true 32 channel format would probably mostly be used in real "Professional" situations.......situations where a Behringer board would not even be a consideration. Hell, your Mackie board probably would not be acceptible in such an application either. Is the cost of the Behringer you max budget, or where you looking at that because it seemed to offer what you need for less. If you're budget is flexible I'd really look at the Allen&Heath GL2400. Absolutly great board, great sound, all the features you could ask for, and built like a tank. That is of course you really don't need all 32 channels (I'm willing to bet you don't). Also look into some of the Peavey FX series of mixers, also great boards that sound fantastic and offer rock solid reliabilty at a very good price.

Oh, and just so you know.....I've used Behringer products, and I've also delt with them on the retail end.........needless to say we no longer deal with Behringer. I've seen more Behringer boards fail for no good reason than I care to count. Some of their rack gear is passable, but I would never count on them to build me something as complex as a multi-channel mixing console.

Tolstoy

• Members

I used Behr boards for a LONG time and it is amazing how much more headroom other boards have. I dont think I ever ran a show on my Behr boards where I didnt have at least a few channels with the gain completely off that were still constantly clipping.

A little bar we occasionally play at has an installed Behr "Xenyx" board that we are forced to use. It is junk.

I'm not some gear snob that is using all top of the line equipment. We DO use some Behr stuff that I actually like in our smaller system.

But that board is crap. No headroom, you touch the trim pot and the level jumps way too fast. I'd rather use our beatup old Mackie 1604 and sacrifice channels than using that Behr board.

• Members

Ugh, it's back to this...

I'm going to stay nuetral (I've made it well known how I feel about Mackie's)

I've used Behringer boards, I have an MX 2642A tht still gets used in our rehearsal space, I would consider it for a last resort backup if we absolutely needed it.. I've seen plenty of their boards sh*t the bed too.

I've had nothing but bad Mackie boards, and my tech has a pile (quite literally about 25 or so ) that are in his shop to be worked over, there are no such piles of other manufacturers boards in his shop, and he is the only shop that is qualified to repair some of the top names in fancy gear...

SO I say, whatever, you don't want to listen to us, I guess it doesn't matter that we are pros, it doesn't matter that some of the folks have more knowledge than I could wish to have, we must be wrong because you are stuck on buying junk, enjoy your crap boards.. My suggestion, buy a couple of boats, you'll need anchors soon enough and those boards will do just fine to hold you in place........

• Members

FWIW our Yamaha MG32/14FX is still working well (all channels still alive and kicking) after 4 years of regular abuse by the A/V volunteers in our church auditorium.

While true that it has only 24 individual channels for mics, it also doesn't count the returns as channels (like some manufacturers do) and the total of 32 channels is achieved by having 4 additional stereo pairs.

While not the equal of my Soundcraft M-12 in terms of audio quality (to my ears anyway YMMV) , it is nonetheless very close, sounds pretty clean, is very feature-rich, and doesn't offend. It would be pretty hard to get any more bang for the buck than the MG32.

I'm a fan of the MG mixers. I've had a MG 12/4 in my home studio (also have gigged with it a few times) for over 5 yrs with zero problems.

• Members

Had a 3242fxpro and fx send for 2nd effect didnt work straight out of the box,fxs are nearly useless,

I A/B it with dynacord pm,soundraft spirit and yamaha mg just to compare mic preamps... I sold the berry next day even though ive used it only once.

Im collecting money for Peavey fx32

• Members

I A/B it with dynacord pm,soundraft spirit and yamaha mg just to compare mic preamps...

How did you compare just the mic preamps... and why would you only be intrested in what is probably one of the least important aspects of a console?

• Members

From now, I'm more to go with Yamaha MG. Other sites say soundcraft sound like crap. Don't know, I never hand on soundcraft, just hear what ppl say. My Mackie SR24X4 have been on road for 5 states and got abuse since 1995 still work like champion. Just need more channels.:thu:

• Members

I disagree that Soundcraft sound like crap. They don't hold up all that well, but sound as good as anything else.

You have been a lucky guy with your SR24. I may have a couple of SR32's that belong to a customer for sale, most functions work after their last service attempt (both have been back to Mackie AND a factory service center a couple of times) and the customer has become tired of the problems. The good news it that they are likely to be priced agressively.

• Members

This is just for FUN. agedhorse, Have you ever sleep ? Don't get me wrong. That is GOOD because I saw you help a lot of post in this forum. Anytime, you're right here to help out ppl. So I know that if I need advice then here is the place because I know that I will have the fast answer. :love:

I think I need to go and check out the Soundcraft board, so far to me, you're so positive about this soundcraft.:thu:

• Members

The A&H is similar to Soundcraft in approach, but with a little better reliability and a little lower cost. I lime the nutted metal bushing controls that A&H has stuck with in spite of their added manufacturing cost, not all Soundcraft models have this anymore.

• Members

The A&H is similar to Soundcraft in approach, but with a little better reliability and a little lower cost. I lime the nutted metal bushing controls that A&H has stuck with in spite of their added manufacturing cost, not all Soundcraft models have this anymore.

Even their new entry-level ZED line has the individually-nutted controls as well. I think that's kind of impressive for long-term reliability. My Soundcraft doesn't have that feature.

Archived