Carvin LM15 Speaker Cabinets - Are they SWEET!

• Members

They have been a long time coming, but I finally got a pair of LM15 speakers (passive version).

Some of you may remember... I had 4 PM15 speakers that I sold a little over a year ago and was planning on replacing them with the LM series.

I finally had the need to get some 15" main/monitors so I ordered 2 of them.

I have only had them for a week, so this is what I know so far.

First impression: awesome speakers for the price.

These are quality built and provide quality sound. I am powering them with my Carvin C1644P mixer. They are definitely an improvement over the PM15 speaker.

The 15" neo speaker is tight and provides clear sounding bass and mid bass.

The HF driver is better sounding than the PM15 as I remember them. Great sounding HF from the LM15s.

I've run CDs (my original albums), dynamic mics for vocal and guitar, electric 6 string guitar (thru Digitech RP350) and drums through them.

So far, I would say they provide a well balanced frequency range from bass to mid to high. Vocal clarity is excellent. I plan on using them initially for my son and I to play some local gigs as soloist and duet.

Live gigs start next week. Will let you know how they work out.

============================================================ ===

Well I have now used them since I originally posted this on another board and here are the results:

Jesse and I had our first gig with the new Carvin LM15 speakers last night.

The gig went well. We played all original songs. Just vocals and mic'ed acoustic guitars.

The PA system sounded excellent. We used AKG mics, Carvin C1644P mixer and a pair of LM15 speakers.

What a great sounding combination! The LM15 speakers were crystal clear. My son played a set solo and I was out in the audience listening. My father (85 years old) and mother (age withheld) mentioned how clear the music came through. My dad said he could understand every word sung (no small feat, mind you). Very Happy

We had very positive comments from the staff at the club about the sound quality (as compared to other groups that have played at the club).

So, I am very pleased with my purchase. Glad I got the LM15s. These speakers can be used for mains as well as monitors.

I might consider the LM12s in the future, but would only use them as monitors (I think).

If any one here is in need of some lightweight mains, definitely consider the LM15. I think you will be very happy with these cabinets.

P.S. I love how light these things are. I can pick one up in each hand and carry them no problem.

LM15-2.jpg

• Members

I'm trying to figure out why anyone would pay $220+$19 shipping for a Carvin LM15 when you can buy a Peavey PR15N for $200 with no shipping at any local store, with no waiting. Plus wide availablity of the PR15N makes it relatively easy to find specials for under $200, such as the ones MusiciansFriend.com is selling for $147.99+$20 shipping. Nothing against Carvin, as I own a Carvin Guitar, but if you're going to buy a knockoff, the point is to save money, not pay more.

• Members

The reason I bought the Carvin was the sound quality.

The Carvin are very close in sound quality to the JBL Eon G2 (not the G1).

If you have the opportunity, listen to the Peavey PR15N side by side to the JBL Eon G2.

If you can not tell the difference, buy the Peaveys. If you can tell the difference, buy the Carvin LM15s at a Peavey price and get the sound of the JBLs.

• Members

I'm trying to figure out why anyone would pay $220+$19 shipping for a Carvin LM15 when you can buy a Peavey PR15N for $200 with no shipping at any local store, with no waiting. Plus wide availablity of the PR15N makes it relatively easy to find specials for under $200, such as the ones MusiciansFriend.com is selling for $147.99+$20 shipping. Nothing against Carvin, as I own a Carvin Guitar, but if you're going to buy a knockoff, the point is to save money, not pay more.

And............This too......:

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2004721&highlight=What%27s+wrong+with+Carvin%3F

• Members

The reason I bought the Carvin was the sound quality.

The Carvin are very close in sound quality to the JBL Eon G2 (not the G1).

If you have the opportunity, listen to the Peavey PR15N side by side to the JBL Eon G2.

If you can not tell the difference, buy the Peaveys. If you can tell the difference, buy the Carvin LM15s at a Peavey price and get the sound of the JBLs.

If I was intending to purchase JBL Eon G2, I would listen to a JBL Eon G2. If I was intending to purchase a Carvin LM15, I would listen to a Carvin LM15, not a JBL Eon G2.

Unfortunately, I don't have the opportunity to listen to a Carvin LM15 because Carvin has chosen not to allow their products to be sold at regular stores nearby me, unlike Peavey, JBL, Behringer, and everyone else.

So while I would sure like to compare the LM15 to the PR15N side-by-side, Carvin has made it impractical for me to do it, so far as I can tell. Show me some place that sells new LM15s next to PR15Ns.

• Members
One reason to buy them over the Peavey's is they work as monitors. I think Peavey missed the mark, buy not making their PR a utility design capable of both monitor and mains duty.

Well, with the little leg kits they work fine. But that's just one more thing to buy,,,,and probably lose.

• Members

One reason to buy them over the Peavey's is they work as monitors. I think Peavey missed the mark, buy not making their PR a utility design capable of both monitor and mains duty.

Not capable for monitor duty? I use them as monitors too, so they must be capable of it. The PR15 do have a trapezoidal cab. They just need a little help on the angle for short throw duty, not much, but a bit. Easily solved. But that's not to say that Carvin indeed seems to have a minor advantage in that regard.

Carvin sells the LM15A for $409.99+$21 shipping. I bought my PR15P for $270 as open box with no shipping. Higher availability increases the chances for better deals than normal retail price.

• Members

By the way, did YOU compare the LM15 side-by-side with the PR15? Or are you just talking out of your ass?

• Members

Yes, I understand they are technically capable, but not convenient. Just saying it's an oversight that likely means they are selling less units.

No, the PR15 probably sell 100 times as much as the Carvins, probably more. The PR15 are one of the highest volume sellers in retail music stores. Carvins will never be a volume seller for anything they sell because of their direct sales business model. There are more PR15 sitting in stores right at this moment than Carvin will ever manufacture of the LM15. However, that doesn't mean that the Carvin's are bad choice despite their miniscule, virtually insignficant, sales volume. That's why I bought my Carvin custom guitar from them: I only needed one, and I didn't mind waiting for them to build one to my specs. It's a beautiful axe and was worth the wait, and I've had it for 15 years now. PA speakers are a different story though.

I don't like reading the horror stories about expensive Carvin repair policies, since that can wipe out any value of the original purchase.

• Members

By the way, did YOU compare the LM15 side-by-side with the PR15? Or are you just talking out of your ass?

Why the bad language?

I did not compare the LM15s side by side with the Peavey PR15s ( I didn't say I did, please read my posts carefully). The difference in sound quality is so significant I didn't have to. The passive PR15s I listened to were "tinny", weak on the bass and extremely unintelligible (lack of clarity). I did not listen to the powered version, if they make one.

I did compare my PM15s directly to the JBL Eons G2 and they were close but the Eons were a little better. Now, the LM15s are a step up from the PM15s in clarity, bass response and lighter in weight. So unless they greatly improved the G2s in the last year, I would say the LM15s are very comparable in sound.

• Members

Well, with the little leg kits they work fine. But that's just one more thing to buy,,,,and probably lose.

bonehead, if you are referring to the Carvin LM15s, they do not use or require "the little leg kits". The PM 15s did, but the LM15s are angled cabs such that they do not require them.

However, if you are referring to the Peavey's, then I'm not sure.

• Members

No, the PR15 probably sell 100 times as much as the Carvins, probably more. The PR15 are one of the highest volume sellers in retail music stores. Carvins will never be a volume seller for anything they sell because of their direct sales business model. There are more PR15 sitting in stores right at this moment than Carvin will ever manufacture of the LM15. However, that doesn't mean that the Carvin's are bad choice despite their miniscule, virtually insignficant, sales volume. That's why I bought my Carvin custom guitar from them: I only needed one, and I didn't mind waiting for them to build one to my specs. It's a beautiful axe and was worth the wait, and I've had it for 15 years now. PA speakers are a different story though.

I don't like reading the horror stories about expensive Carvin repair policies, since that can wipe out any value of the original purchase.

You've totally missed the point. It was just a comment. I'm well aware of how popular a $200 speaker - ANY - $200 speaker is in a music store. If it looks like a speaker, makes sound and is cheap it will sell. If it says Peavey or JBL, all the better.

• Members

Thanks for the quick review Smitty. :thu: I imagine the LM15s sound quite decent. They certainly look very good. I'm glad you're happy with them. It's unfortunate they are made and sold by Carvin. Like many others, I have experienced their unprofessional and uninformed sales team... That and the way repairs or returns work should you have a problem - is enough to turn off many people. It's unfortunate really, since many of their products look decent and are well priced. Al

• Members

Why the bad language?

I did not compare the LM15s side by side with the Peavey PR15s ( I didn't say I did, please read my posts carefully). The difference in sound quality is so significant I didn't have to. The passive PR15s I listened to were "tinny", weak on the bass and extremely unintelligible (lack of clarity). I did not listen to the powered version, if they make one.

I did compare my PM15s directly to the JBL Eons G2 and they were close but the Eons were a little better. Now, the LM15s are a step up from the PM15s in clarity, bass response and lighter in weight. So unless they greatly improved the G2s in the last year, I would say the LM15s are very comparable in sound.

The reason you do side-by-side comparisons is to help eliminate the audio source and poweramp as the cause of any undesirable traits you hear. It is possible, in fact highly probable, that your experience with the PR15s had little to do with the speaker itself. So to say that you "didn't have to" means to me that you really have no idea how they compare, thus you are talking out of your ass. I'm not saying that your experience with the LM15 doesn't count. I'm very appreciative that you posted your experience. My objection is to your unsupported assertion and insinuation that the LM15 are so clearly superior to the PR15s that it must be the ears of the listener that are to blame if we can't appreciate the difference. Maybe it's just that you shouldn't compare speakers that you haven't, in fact, compared. If you get a chance to actually do a side-by-side comparison, I would be happy to read what you have to say about them.

• Members

You've totally missed the point. It was just a comment. I'm well aware of how popular a $200 speaker - ANY - $200 speaker is in a music store. If it looks like a speaker, makes sound and is cheap it will sell. If it says Peavey or JBL, all the better.

Sorry bout that. I think I may have linked your pronoun to a different noun than you intended.

• Members

The reason you do side-by-side comparisons is to help eliminate the audio source and poweramp ...

I agree COMPLETELY. So let me recap my experience so you can understand.

I compared the Peavey PR15N, the JBL Eon G1, the JBL Eon G2 and the Carvin PM15. All two way passive cabinets. I also listened to a Mackie, but it was a 12" inch and I was not interested so I don't remember it too well.

All speakers were powered by the same mixer amp combination.

What I found was that the Peavey sounded Terrible. The JBL Eon G1 sounded Bad. The JBL Eon G2 sounded Excellent and my Carvin PM15 sounded Very Good.

So there was a terrible, a bad, a very good and an excellent. I used my PM15s for about a year and a half. I got very use to their sound. The Carvin LM15s are better than the PM15s. A definite step up.

Where in there is the ass talk?

I am sorry, but the Peavey sounded like an inexpensive pair of CGM arena speakers I use to own.

Why would anyone want to pay $400 for 2 of these (Product rated 6.8 out of 10 (9 ratings) on (Same Day Music) when you can buy a SUBSTANTIALLY better pair of cabinets for $518 delivered. That's only $118 more!!!

(Please note the 3 exclaimation marks.)

P.S. The Peavey are 200 watt RMS speakers. The Carvin are 475 watts RMS. For $118 dollars more I would think it is a "No Brainer".

• Members

We've got your subjective opinion about the performance of them. Terrible, bad, very good, and excellent are meaningless unless you describe in detail what you mean by that. What kind of music were you testing?

You say the PR15 were tinny and lacked bass. That is quite different from my experience as an owner, and every opinion I've seen about them. What bass frequency range are you talking about? The PR15 are very strong down to 60Hz and don't fall off too bad below that. There are musicians on this board that use the PR15 specifically because of their good bass, so how do I reconcile what you say vs. my own experience and everyone else?

You're entitled to your opinion. I'm entitled to reserve judgment until I hear them myself. But how am I going to do that?

I don't see where you told me where I can find them to try side-by-side? I have to order them to try them? That's not going to happen. What stores carry them, again? I'm not asking rhetorically. I will try them if I can find them.

Carvin is probably fudging their ratings, per their usual BS, consistent with their long history of doing so. That's why they only put a 300W RMS amp on the 15" driver on the LM15A powered version? That's ok. It's still in the same range as the others in the class, so it's no real drawback once you apply the 50% Carvin fib factor.

• Members

Why would anyone want to pay $400 for 2 of these (Product rated 6.8 out of 10 (9 ratings) on (Same Day Music) when you can buy a SUBSTANTIALLY better pair of cabinets for $518 delivered. That's only $118 more!!!

The rating system on Same Day Music is screwed up. There is only one review for the PR15, not 9. All of the overall category ratings listed exactly match that one individual review, except for the overall rating. That one review, by the way, was very positive on the PR15 and contradicts your own opinion particularly the statement that "in the context of the price, it's not beatable. I also have the PRSUBs, but when the venue is too small, these 15"ers still provide plenty of punch." The reviews on ZZounds.com and GuitarCenter.com are also overwhelmingly positive and contrary to your opinion. So if you think you're going to rally support against the PR15, you are swimming upstream on that one. So how many opinions do I find in support of the LM15? One. Yours. Even so, I'm willing to give Carvin a shot. I'm always looking for good speakers at a value price.

Here's that full review posted on SDM.com about the PR15:

"I don't know what I'd do without these."

Feature:

1/4" only, but that's okay with me. The weight (or lack thereof) is the main feature I appreciate. For portable use, I can't imagine having to use my other wooden speakers anymore.

Quality:

In the context of the price, the quality is more than one can ask for or expect, or get from other brands that sell at this price.

Value:

In the context of the price, the value is unbeatable. In fact, I don't understand why the ratings on this site aren't higher. I read a lot on SR forums, and the pro's recommend these readily to those shopping for speakers in this price range.

Desirability:

Don't know what I'd do without them. I don't want to even think about carrying my other heavier speakers around. I plan on getting a couple PR12s for smaller venues and/or monitor usage, and I'm not even considering another brand/model.

Sound:

In the context of the price, it's not beatable. I also have the PRSUBs, but when the venue is too small, these 15"ers still provide plenty of punch.

Ease of Use:

Plug and play. Super light weight... can't get easier.

Support:

Never needed it, but Peavey is well known for good support. I've written them a few times with questions and suggestions, and have always gotten a quick and considerate response.

Overall:

In the context of the price, they deserve at least a nine.

User: a customer from zoominternet.net

Submitted: 9/2/2006

Style of Music: Varitey

• Members

Again I agree with you about specifications. At best they are guidelines.

I can't say if Carvin or anyone else falsify their product specifications or to what degree. I do not have the equipment to measure parameters.

So instead I use my ears. Tinny is tinny (easy enough). Lack of bass is lack of bass. I am not trying to sell anything here. I am trying to share my experience with what I believe is a good product for a good price.

It seems simple enough that the Carvin LM15 is a lot more speaker that the Peavey PR15. That is my opinion based on my experience. I've had exposure to both. You asked who would buy the Carvin over the Peavey. I gave you an honest answer that you don't seem to like and tell me I speak out of my ass.

• Members

So I did a forum search on you and found this thread:

JBL EON G2 / JBL EON / Mackie SRM450 / Peavey NEO 15

You "compared" 3 powered speakers to the passive PR15Ns in a Guitar Center. Al Poulin already told you how unfair of a comparison that was.

Then I see this thread where you say this:

"I listened to several models of the Peavey SP series at a Henris (local music store).

It turns out they also had some EV Eliminator and Gladiator 2 way speakers.

The EV speakers sounded significantly better to me then the Peaveys. The EV models sounded full throughout the frequency spectrum (highs, mids and lows.)

The Peaveys sounded thin in comparison. Somewhat tinny (sp?)."

OK, I get it. All Peaveys are thin and tinny to you. You're a Carvin FanBoy. So yes, Carvin Fanboys will buy Carvins over the Peavey, 10 times out of 10. No surprise there.

I frequently recommend the PR series because of my experience with them. But I'll gladly recommend anything else that is more suitable for the situation (occasionally even Behrs).

• Members
bonehead, if you are referring to the Carvin LM15s, they do not use or require "the little leg kits". The PM 15s did, but the LM15s are angled cabs such that they do not require them.

However, if you are referring to the Peavey's, then I'm not sure.

Of course I was referring to the Peaveys.

• Members

We all know that a certain person is a major Clavin fanboy so this post certainly isn't the least bit surprising.

I was a bit slow sniffing out the fanboy, since I should've recognized the classic Carvin multi-pole humbucker on his Avatar.

He can now return to his Carvin GearPorn Mag. Sure enough, the LM15 is the centerfold this month. I'll admit to succumbing to their catalog when I was 15, too. One of my friends had a double cutaway DC 200 with gold plating and curly maple top. Damn she was hot, the axe that is.

Archived