Do feedback destroyers work?

• Members

Yes. I use a Peavey Feedback Ferret D and it has performed perfectly for well over 100 gigs/rehearsals. In my opinion, it is an essential tool for any band that operates their own sound from the stage.

Of course, even the best contraptions can not deal with poor quality equipment or improper set-up or placement. Make sure that you address these if they exist.

• Members

Does feedback detroyers work. I like my monitor hot, and when we practice in a small room, feedback is always a problem. Always!

I use several of the dbx AFS 224's for certain applications. They do work... But they are not a cure-all. Mic placement, technique, and type of mic can often solve many feedback issues.

You really need that "hot" of a monitor when practicing in a small room? What are you running through it? What kind of mic are you using?

• Members

I use several of the dbx AFS 224's for certain applications. They do work... But they are not a cure-all. Mic placement, technique, and type of mic can often solve many feedback issues.

You really need that "hot" of a monitor when practicing in a small room? What are you running through it? What kind of mic are you using?

I use a 58

• Members

Does feedback detroyers work. I like my monitor hot, and when we practice in a small room, feedback is always a problem. Always!

Ya, I guess they work. I don't see them as being needed if you are doing things right. Do you have a good 31 band on the monitors?

• Members

Ya, I guess they work. I don't see them as being needed if you are doing things right. Do you have a good 31 band on the monitors?

Firstly, it's unlikely that you are doing everything right. Even if you are mics move around and temperature, humidity and crowd size changes ... so does your feedback points.

A good feedback eliminator is simply a PEQ under control of a computerized measuring system. That's a much more precise adjustment tool than a 1/3rd octave GEQ will ever be. No matter how you slice it ... a GEQ is pulling out more than it needs to.

That said a feedback eliminator will not eliminate feedback but can add an additional 3-9dB of gain before feedback to a system ... depending on how much of "doing things right" you did.

• Members
Firstly, it's unlikely that you are doing everything right. Even if you are mics move around and temperature, humidity and crowd size changes ... so does your feedback points.

A good feedback eliminator is simply a PEQ under control of a computerized measuring system. That's a much more precise adjustment tool than a 1/3rd octave GEQ will ever be. No matter how you slice it ... a GEQ is pulling out more than it needs to.

That said a feedback eliminator will not eliminate feedback but can add an additional 3-9dB of gain before feedback to a system ... depending on how much of "doing things right" you did.

Ya, ya, I realize all that. But if you are getting plenty of monitor volume consistently and feedback is almost never the slightest issue, I'm thinking you are doing things "right enough".

• Members

There are plenty of applicatios where a wide filter is far superior to a narrow filter too. The right tool or combination of tools for the job.

I just did a job where I needed a 1 octave wide filter and a 3dB cut to do what I needed to do. If the feedback destroyer tries to throw a bunch of narrow filters in there, that's not a good solution IMO.

• Members

I use both 31 band GEQ and Sabine FBX some places I need a small cut some places I need a bigger cut with both I'm covered either way. BTW the FBX I use is handy as a insert point for guys that prefer a different front line mic other then what I provide. Sometimes the extra 3+dbs can really help out on the gain before FB. :thu:

• Members

I would not buy the unit in your link. I had the better FBQ2496. I sold it and bought a Sabine FBX which works even better. The Sabine has wider bands which seemed to work out better for me. I use my system with people walking around a stage with lav mics.

For noobs like me I think a FBX is a better solution than a 31 band eq. However I have learned that you can increase GBF a lot better by mic choice and placement.

• Members

I'm using the "Automatic Feedback Suppression" (AFS) feature of my DBX DriveRack PA units - and am pretty happy with the results.

We're a "mix from the stage" band and have no soundman to fiddle and tweak our system in the course of the evening. Even well tuned and EQed systems can have feedback pop up in the course of the evening given the dynamics on stage. The feedback in our setup usually comes from moving microphones (i.e., drummer push his boom mounted vocal mic behind him when not singing, vocalist letting her elbow relax when using her as a handheld - or when "wandering" with her wireless, my wireless headset if/when I bend over to reach controls on my keyboard rack). When mic movement triggers feedback - I can hear the DriveRack AFS kick in and clamp down on it in a fraction of the time that it would take me to quit playing, get to the board and adjust.

It's obviously not a panacea - but used properly - I find the AFS function to be a real enhancement to my rig.

Archived