Pawn Shop Goodness!

• Members

Soooo.... went to one of my local pawn shops the other day, just looking mind you, and I see this Gretsch. I don't know a lot about Gretsch's to be honest, but I like the look, and the way it plays. Plug it in to some amp, and yeah, ok, I can dig this. 300 I can swing. Walk to the counter, guitar in hand, and the manager of the store stops me, then tells me to hold on for a minute. Could be interesting, so I wait. A few minutes later, comes out of the back with a bass case. Ok, now I'm REAL interested. I open it, it's an Ibanez SR500. It's basically the Sabre line of basses. Thin body, active EQ, 5 piece bubinga and jatoba neck, and Bartolini pickups. A few dings and what not, but who cares. He tells me that it doesn't work, and plugging it in, I understand why. It sounds like a wet fart. Something has shorted out in the active EQ. The price on it is 200. I tell him I don't have enough for both, and that I would be insane to buy a bass that sounds like bad gas.

He goes to the computer, does some typing and turns the screen around so I can see it. "I'll do both for 200. You saved me from buying a Chinese Gibson copy, so this is a thank you."

My reply? "Do you take Paypal?" Mrs. Penguin was not that amused, but realized I got a great deal, and she loves look and feel of the bass. So, all is well in the household.

20240516_194255.thumb.jpg.d2844ae599b0e0a6f3a041d7d7e34617.jpg

So first off, the Gretsch. Believe it's a 5220 made in China in 2019. Plays wonderful with some really low action. Pickups are nice, I get that old Gretsch tag line, "That Great Gretsch Sound!", but may be changed. Nice, articulate, but brighter than I like for neck pickup. Bridge is the same. Great neck on this! Wonderful C shape.

20240516_194307.thumb.jpg.bbf415af1a5078e06f2d0669cadeb2bf.jpg

The bass.... nom. Like I said, it's a 2012 SR500, made in Indonesia by Cort. Mahogany body, 5 piece wenge jatoba neck with a rosewood board. Even has abalone oval inlays! 3 Band EQ, with a mid boost switch. One of the most comfortable necks on a bass I have EVER touched! has that thin finish that shows the grain of the wood. You can feel the grain.... not my fav thing, but for 50 bucks, I can deal. Oh... the farts. One of the EQ controls pots lug was touching the shielding paint and shorted the system out. Added a bit of black tape to the underside of the lugs, and boom, fully operational bass with freaking Bartolini pickups!!!!

20240516_194321.thumb.jpg.8e5f8eb73badcc4ee47ad9b9f9c29f6b.jpg

20240516_194332.thumb.jpg.626e6030cd89fa78bf2e448b9aebb2f4.jpg

• Like 4

• Members

Thanks DM. I walked in as some guy was pawning his "Gibson". I walked up, glanced at it, heard them discussing a price, and started laughing. After being asked why I was laughing, I pointed out the obvious Chibson features. The guy selling it babbled something about having just bought it brand new from GC. "Hmmm....  according to the serial number, which is the wrong font by the way, this guitar is an 06. You JUST bought an 18 year old guitar BRAND NEW from GC? Bull{censored}" At that point, he grabbed the guitar and left. Manager was happy, and I explained what was wrong with it to the employees, so to avoid it happening. I HATE people trying to pass off that crap as real.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1