Behringer DSP1124P Feedback Destroyer

• Members

My college roommate was an aeronautical/mechanical engineer and went into the AF as an engineer/test pilot. The other engineer here was an instrumentation engineer for NASA on the Apollo projet. The parent company I work for had an aerospace division as well, and there's a darn good reason for why design and testing procedures are so thorough and complex. There's a lot that can go wrong, and there's a lot of possible conditions to consider, so testing involved a wide range og both conditions and variables... a lot of permutations.

• Members

I hooked it up to my laptop today using "Visual Analyzer":
http://www.sillanumsoft.org
The frequency response of the 3 filters I had was quite a bit off from what Behringer's software predicted so I tweaked it in using pink noise. I ended up with these three:
20Hz 37/60 octave -48db
20Hz 37/60 octave -48db
100Hz 80/60 octave +16db
Looks like a very nice 24db/oct 100hz HPF now :).

However I'm a bit perplexed as to the locked filter behavior I saw the other day. Now any locked filters return to single shot mode upon a short power cycle or if you switch to another preset and then switch back. Neither of those actions would clear them before :confused: .

• Members
I hooked it up to my laptop today using "Visual Analyzer":

http://www.sillanumsoft.org

The frequency response of the 3 filters I had was quite a bit off from what Behringer's software predicted so I tweaked it in using pink noise. I ended up with these three:

20Hz 37/60 octave -48db

20Hz 37/60 octave -48db

100Hz 80/60 octave +16db

Looks like a very nice 24db/oct 100hz HPF now
:)

However I'm a bit perplexed as to the locked filter behavior I saw the other day. Now any locked filters return to single shot mode upon a short power cycle or if you switch to another preset and then switch back. Neither of those actions would clear them before
:confused:

Does your software show phase as well? 2 48db per octave filters in series gives you a 96db per octave slope. The amount group delay may be quite great. I wonder if it rings as well?

Dookietwo

• Members

Ah, I was wondering when the "phase police" would raid this thread :lol: .

Does your software show phase as well?

No.

2 48db per octave filters in series gives you a 96db per octave slope. The amount group delay may be quite great. I wonder if it rings as well?

They are not 48 db/oct filters - they are bandpass filters with a 20Hz center frequency, a 37/60 octave bandwidth, and set for -48db of cut.

I suspect the phase gets pretty squirrelly at and below 100hz but as it's not a crossover there isn't another driver "below" its frequency cutoff that I have to match up to so I'm not all that worried about it :).

Archived