Modify the Boss Eq-20?

Guitarman22

• Members

. The aforementioned inability to cycle through presets. I've been thinking about taking it apart and soldering removing the surface-mounted momentary switch and soldering in a cable in its place. Then I'd run the cable out the former button-hole (it would need to be drilled a wee bit wider first), then attaching a small enclosure with a momentary footswitch installed in it to the other end. Preset switchability! That would give it a lot more sale value, too...

This note on top here i copied and paste!

Anybody out there who knows how to do this with the pedal??

• daddymack changed the title to Modify the Boss Eq-20?
  • Members
On 9/20/2023 at 7:33 AM, Guitarman22 said:

I've been thinking about taking it apart and soldering removing the surface-mounted momentary switch and soldering in a cable in its place. Then I'd run the cable out the former button-hole (it would need to be drilled a wee bit wider first), then attaching a small enclosure with a momentary footswitch installed in it to the other end. 

You answered your own question

• Members
On 9/22/2023 at 11:46 AM, isaac42 said:

I wonder if it would be possible to switch the functions of the footswitch with the surface-mounted switch. That would be a cleaner implementation, if possible.

Probably not, though. If it were, it would have been done already.

Funny how we're all here in '23 trying to figure this out. I'm awaiting the delivery of one unit right now, so I won't really be able to say with certainly until I've got the board in my hands, but the momentary spst that boss typically uses only has two points, when you make contact it triggers what ever a/b or cycle through function it was intended for. This is good if the smd is also a momentary button, and it likely is based on previous threads I've read.

I think that if it is, two wires from the switch could technically be used to either defeat the surface mounted button or remove the smd and replace it with this completely - but it would eliminate the option to switch between panel and presets. That's the drawback. This might still be useful, but it will eliminate the ability to jump back and forth between two exact presets, which is also very useful.

The immediate problem I would see with this is: what if we remove the ability to jump from panel to preset and when it starts up it's stuck on panel, rendering the mod useless? That's no good of a mod, it would be best to always have every function.

You could possibly tap into it at the base of the unit between the pedals (tentatively, I don't know what the space looks like) and place a housing mounted push button or third spst stomp switch to facilitate this if there is room, or insert a dpdt (on/on) in the back panel and run the wires to both the original location and the new location, allowing you the option to switch what that stomp serves functions to, preset/panel or now modified to cycle through presets. You'd still have to bend over and let it know what the footswitch needs to do though.

This might be best modified as a rehoused boss pedal, as was the DD-20. It would allow for both the reroute to a stomp as well as keep access at the button, but include the other two stomp switches as well.

I'll return with my findings when I get it and crack it open.