D28 Needs a Neck Reset

FretFiend.

• Members

My trusty old Martin D28 turned 35 years old this year, and it needs a neck reset.  No, It's not under warranty.  I need a good luthier who is familiar with doing these and has plenty of good references to back it up.  I ain't rich, but I ain't gonna be cheap either when it comes to getting this guitar fixed right.  It would be nice if this luthier was within maybe half a day's driving distance (Western North Carolina/ North Georgia/ East Tennessee/ Northwest South Carolina.)  I really don't want to ship it.

Any suggestions/ recommendations?

Edited by FretFiend.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, xStonr said:

How far are you from Nashville. You should be able to find someone there capable. 

Like Gruhn's...

There are going to be tons of luthiers in that region! You want a 'Martin certified' or whatever person, but a neck reset, with the proper tooling, is a pretty straightforward repair.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Sorry for not getting back to anybody.

I found a really great luthier practically in my neighborhood, well, 2 hours away near Asheville.  The guy's name is Ken Jones and his business is Mountain Song Guitars. Nice guy! Check out his website. He custom builds guitars and does all types of guitar repairs.  He does all the repair work for Dream Guitars in Asheville. You've probably heard of them.  He's a bit pricey, but he does superb work.  He has all kinds of references.

He did a neck reset and fret leveling my old Martin. I just got it home and spent a few minutes playing it.  I'm very satisfied. Intonation and action are spot on now, and it's got that old D-28 growl back.  Check out the break angle over the saddle.  You wouldn't even know the neck has been off unless you look VERY closely at it.

Many thanks for the suggestions.

d28.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2