Yamaha RED LABEL series.

Glenn F

• Members

I recently decided to try out the FS-3 AND THE FS-5. I've driven myself nuts trying to find a 000 spruce/hog guitar that didn't cost a 000-18. 
I ended up choosing the FS3 (China) over the FS5 (Japan). The FS3 was lighter, and its problems easily fixable. Sharp fret ends, high saddle and nut, but the frets were good, neck angle bang on. The sound was exactly what I've been looking for. The FS5, in contrast, had an issue with the nut in addition to the high saddle and nut. It's neck angle was 1/8 inch too low. The FS5 was better finished. The neck was silkier, less patchiness on the finish. Comes with a nice case as opposed to a hard gigbag, which is fugly. I've given up on Eastman guitars. I don't like their necks, and there's usually, at least in my case, problems with the frets, nuts, or both. 

There's about a 500€ difference between the FS3 and FS5. The prices just rose by 9% here, too. So, I'd put the Red Label series on the checkout list. They impressed me. Not beautiful. The finish on mine is patchy. The tone and playability trumps all.

and how are you, Mr. Wilson? 🤪

Edited by Glenn F

• Members

Ok, I see this place is somewhat of a mausoleum. I posted this as a 'hot tip' kinda thing for people here, and I get one daft reply.

Be well, you longhaulers! May all your guitars bring you joy! Especially theones that didn't need a setup! 🤣

• Members
2 hours ago, Glenn F said:

Ok, I see this place is somewhat of a mausoleum. I posted this as a 'hot tip' kinda thing for people here, and I get one daft reply.

Be well, you longhaulers! May all your guitars bring you joy! Especially theones that didn't need a setup! 🤣

It's pretty dead here to be sure, Glenn. But, alas, the same can be said of most "real" music forums. I pop in regularly in the hope of some resurrection - maybe one day?

• Members

Happy Ghosts of Goats Past Day for me!

This is a  very good guitar. I also got it a couple of days before the price went up. Had it set up to perfection. I wish I'd tried it 3 years ago.

it is supposed to be 'the last guitar.' If I push for another, I'll have to cook every meal for my wife for the rest of my days.

I've tried quite a few small-bodied spruce/hog guitars, even a few Martins from Fellowship of the Acoustics, but this Yamaha is better than all of them.

So, hi to everyone…left….

Glenn

IMG_1208.jpeg

IMG_1192.jpeg

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...