Coffeehouse Mains / Large System monitors.

• Members

I'm looking to expand the system and add some flexibility. Last year, we got a great deal on a pair of 750w EAW speakers which are great, but are way too much for the smaller coffeehouse gigs.

So, what I was looking to do was find a pair of smaller speakers that I could use as Mains for the small venues, and as Monitors to use when we haul out the bigger system.

Lately, I've been looking at the Yorkville NX55P. They seem like they are small, lightweight, and would serve both purposes. I don't really have an opportunity to audition them in person (unfortunately). How does this option sound? Suggestions?

I'm really would like the best sound I can get for the small shows (without breaking the bank of course). Anyone have experience with these speakers? Or could suggest something better?

Thanks in advance.

• Members

I have found the NX55P to be a decent, durable speaker for the price.

My only issue is they lack a little bottom end, but that are much clearer than Yorkvilles YX15

I would also take a look at the Yorkville Elite E10P, they should cost about the same as the NX55P.

They are less wattage (350W) but they are smaller and have a really nice sound to them.

If you go out to listen to the NX55P I would also give the E10P a listen as well

• Members

That was a pair of KV2 EX10's with an EX2.2 sub. A bit expensive at around 6K but we've done a live gig outdoors for 500 people with it.

For the application stated, I think EV's SxA360's would do the trick at less than $ 1500 a pair.

• Members

The NX55P and PRX 512 pretty much operate in the same "space". You'll likely be happy with either one.

Some random thoughts:

For ease of auditioning them and service in the future, JBL wins. I think the Yorkies are a bit less expensive and they do have a 2 yr "no fault" warranty. The Yorkies also have a more robust mixer section. JBL's are wood, Yorks are plastic. Yorkies have a wider coverage pattern. JBL's have a 2 position mount in the bottom that allows a 15 degree downward position, which seems useful for keeping the sound from spraying the ceiling as well as getting better coverage up close.

You really can't go wrong either way.

• Members

My main PA is a set of NX55p's and LS700's. In small bars (100 to 200 people) it's REALLY loud.

Yorkie makes a 25P version, essentially the same box at lower wattage, for a lower price. I have one, and I am converting my other monitors (Alto, yorkie YX15) over to them. Smaller, lighter, great sound. This might be an option. The 25p's make excellent monitors.

The one thing that always impresses me with the NX55p's is I can get the vocals to really sparkle in them. Vocal intelegibility is always excellent, and for coffeehouse stuff I think that is hugely important. for everything really, but vox and accoustic guitar with muddy vox is not much of a show, eh?

Oh, and I have had my 55p's for probably 6 years and never ever had even the slightest problem.

• Members

Thanks Rod.

Are you able to run the NX55Ps at low volume? You mentioned that they are loud, which as fine, as long as you are able to play at lower volumes as well. I would like the clarity you mentioned, but dont want to overpower the audience on a small accoustic gig.

thanks

• Members

I like the NX25P's. I believe though, that they have more in common with the YX15 circuitry than the NX55P's but whatever the case they're quite good as bar room monitors.

I'm doing a gig tonight with an in house system for a nine piece band - running sound from stage. Last time I did the gig, the FOH (Nx55P's) were taxed to the max, but the NX25P monitors were performing admirably.

So my humble opinion: the NX25P's would be perfectly fine for coffee houses, and many bar band monitor situations. If you think that you need more juice many would argue that the NX55P would be your choice. Personally I'm not a big fan of the NX55P's but so many people are crazy about them, it must just be me.

I have noticed a trend (on the "other" forum) where people have been trading their 55P's for the QSC 122i. I don't know if this is something to consider, or not.

As always YMMV.

Archived