Strat wiring

Slinkyslinger

• Members

Hello. 2 part question. I have searched for this but haven’t found a topic similar. In my strat, I want to coil split my paf pro but rather than split up, have the split down and the bucker up (push/push used but for description purposes i referenced a push/pull pot) I play more single coil than h/b and would rather the knob be down unless in hb mode. The switch is wired to 5 with the b/w wire, does it need to be 2? Also is it still effective to have the split run through a greaser and the hb run open to the 500k or should the pot be a 250k? I imagine not right? Maybe the 500k on tone 1 routed in the split to a 250k at tone 2, essentially, a bridge pot mod? How does that effect the tone blend capability of the two pots in bridge pot mod mode? I have a gilmore mod s1 for volume. Hopefully I was descriptive enough, I don’t really mess with this stuff but it is an interesting subject and the mountain of tones that can be created is mind bottling. 

• Members
On 2/5/2023 at 9:03 PM, Slinkyslinger said:

Hello. 2 part question. I have searched for this but haven’t found a topic similar. In my strat, I want to coil split my paf pro but rather than split up, have the split down and the bucker up (push/push used but for description purposes i referenced a push/pull pot) I play more single coil than h/b and would rather the knob be down unless in hb mode. The switch is wired to 5 with the b/w wire, does it need to be 2? Also is it still effective to have the split run through a greaser and the hb run open to the 500k or should the pot be a 250k? I imagine not right? Maybe the 500k on tone 1 routed in the split to a 250k at tone 2, essentially, a bridge pot mod? How does that effect the tone blend capability of the two pots in bridge pot mod mode? I have a gilmore mod s1 for volume. Hopefully I was descriptive enough, I don’t really mess with this stuff but it is an interesting subject and the mountain of tones that can be created is mind bottling. 

Uhhh, what?

I believe you want the push/pull to be in the down position for the split? Very simple: your split wires from the pickup to the center lug on the push/pull, ground to the top lug of the push/pull.

No idea of what a "greaser" is.

500K is fine for what you need.

• Like 1

• Members

Thank you for the reply. Push push, pull push they are both up or down. There are two middle lugs on the switch , 2 and 5. normally routed to 5 i was wanting to confirm that 2 was the right choice. Since there is a forum, its better if I just flash this once and not heat this stuff up by doing it 4 times if the answer is there of course. No solderless so that is out. Calling a greasebucket tone pot a greaser didn't seem that confusing but I am in my own head, so hey, sounding boards are good.  Maybe unnecessary but I won't know until I hear it if it is possible but isn't wiring the switch in parallel with a 250k resistor (theoretically) while in single coil mode then running a treble bleed after that in series going to replicate the stock wiring? While a 500k may be fine as far as application goes if I can replicate the single coil sound  ( while minor differences make no distinction) maybe it will to me or to a recording. If it is possible, I am bored, so I am sure it will happen. I just wonder what I will have to replace if I fry something.  I just don't have any idea how to wire that. 😀

• Moderators

Adding a 250k inline resistor isn't going to replicate a 250k ohm pot.:wave:

I'd never heard the mod called a 'greaser' either, but I have done this for a couple of folks...the 'greasebucket' mod is designed to prevent bass tone from being added as treble tone is rolled off, by creating a 'bandpass filter' to ground, although having this arrangement opens up some other tonal 'complications', but that is what makes things interesting....the .022uf cap value is not written in stone [could go to .1uf to 2200pf, which adds to the aforementioned 'complications' of a resonant circuit], but I believe this is what Fender used on their Highway One series, which is where the 'greasebucket' moniker was born about 20 years ago, IIRC...

image.png?id=27534202&width=591&quality=

• Thanks 1