Have I ruined my equipment?

• Members

I played a gig outside this past Saturday night without a cover. I now know how stupid that was! I covered everything best I could between sets with towels. I'm really worried about my monitors and microphones from all of the dew. Anyone have any experience in this department?

• CMS Author

I played a gig outside this past Saturday night without a cover. I now know how stupid that was! I covered everything best I could between sets with towels. I'm really worried about my monitors and microphones from all of the dew. Anyone have any experience in this department?

If you didn't get rained upon and you haven't fired anything up, simply let the units dry out on their own (a fan can help) and all should be fine.

As an aside, if you set up on the ground with no staging, it's a good idea to at least place a tarp under your gear to keep ground moisture from either wicking into ratfur, or from simply exposing the gear to high humidity. Even seemingly dry soil still has a lot of water in it, which will condense and evaporate as temps change.

• Members

How wet did things get? Did you let things dry out thoroughly before using them again?

I haven't used them since. I'm thinking of unloading it tomorrow and letting it sit in the sun for a while.

• Members

I'm not really getting what the problem is from your post. You played an outdoor gig. What's the problem there?

Anyway, we played an outdoor gig a few weeks ago and got caught in a thunderstorm. We got most of it covered with towels and tarps, but everything got pretty soaked. The only casualties were a mic cable and a power strip. You should be okay.

• Members

Yeah happened to me on Sunday. In florida summertime you pretty much should plan on rain for EVERY gig outside.

If its not under good cover, I bring my secondhand speakers and gear and then no headaches. :idea: Usually use a Bose L1 but not so much outside unless Im covered...

• Members

I'm not really getting what the problem is from your post. You played an outdoor gig. What's the problem there?

Anyway, we played an outdoor gig a few weeks ago and got caught in a thunderstorm. We got most of it covered with towels and tarps, but everything got pretty soaked. The only casualties were a mic cable and a power strip. You should be okay.

We were playing outside with no roof on a Louisiana Saturday Night. Lots of moisture got on my monitors and mics.

• Members

We were playing outside with no roof on a Louisiana Saturday Night. Lots of moisture got on my monitors and mics.

I wouldn't worry about that. I do outdoor gigs in Florida all the time. As people said, just bring it all inside and let it air out.

• CMS Author

BTW, does anybody "treat" their monitor LF drivers with anything to make them more water resistant?

Nope, and it's not a good idea to coat cone drivers with anything. If your application demands frequent use in damp or wet environments, get speakers designed for this (and charge your customers accordingly!).

• Members

If you don't have a set of covers for your rig, a pair of these (or some of the hundreds of similar products) are great to have in the truck for covering tops-on-subs:

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&productId=100178598

Drop the tops onto the subs, cover and wait for the rain to pass. Also works well for a slant-mixer-on-amp-rack stack (when running sound from stage).

For monitors:

http://www.grillstuff.com/weber-weber-q-vinyl-cover-baby-100-120.html?productid=259

• Members

i think mark has sprayed some type of sealer on his cones at some point....maybe he can add to this.

i've been in situations where cons got really, really wet and have dried out and performed without issue for years after (but not my stuff! i got tarps!! and plywood covers!!!)

i have seen beer funneled into wedge HF horns and cause significant issue but thats another topic.

Archived