Amplifier-PA Speaker power matching

• Members

They don't want to hear about WHY their speaker failed after the fact, they want to know what situations to AVOID so they won't have to deal with this problem in the first place.

OK ... leave the power switch in the off position. Everything else is a "where do I draw the line" problem. I think understanding the why and how allows you to make an informed decisionas to where you feel comfortable drawing that line.

I too got caught up in the need more power nonsense.

It's not "nonsense". There is a benefit and there is a risk associated with that benefit

It's possible to damage speakers by driving any amp into clipping. Once you clip an amp and start overwhelming a particular frequency range mechanical damage isn't far behind.

This is flat incorrect! Clipping does not hurt speakers. Speakers may be damaged because while clipping an amp you may be supplying more power to the drivers than you think you are ... but it's the POWER not the CLIPPING that causes damage. As long as the clipped power level does not produce enough heat you can clip on forever

• Members

It's not "nonsense". There is a benefit and there is a risk associated with that benefit

I think it is nonsense when the operator is not very experienced. Any benefit would be eclipsed easily by the risk when the newbie is replacing speakers.

• Members

I think it is nonsense when the operator is not very experienced. Any benefit would be eclipsed easily by the risk when the newbie is replacing speakers.

Absolutely.

Anybody who has spent some serious time doing failure analysis in this industry will quickly appreciate the averag person's inability to make good choices regarding avoiding the terminal limits of a speaker. It happens all the time. That's why I am more conservative than I was years ago.

• Members

Absolutely.

Anybody who has spent some serious time doing failure analysis in this industry will quickly appreciate the averag person's inability to make good choices regarding avoiding the terminal limits of a speaker. It happens all the time. That's why I am more conservative than I was years ago.

I learned it all from you brother. You and a handful of others like coastal and roadranger have shown me the error of my ways and thank god before I started blowing stuff up lol.

• Members

This thread needs to be stickied.

I actually had a salesman tell me that my new amp had blown up because it was under-rated for the speakers I was using it with and that I needed to buy an amp at the 2x rating to prevent amp failure. Of course, it hadn't been clipping at all prior to the failure..... [before anyone asks, the speakers in question were 8 Ohm, one connected to each side....]

:facepalm:

• Members

OK ... leave the power switch in the off position. Everything else is a "where do I draw the line" problem. I think understanding the why and how allows you to make an informed decisionas to where you feel comfortable drawing that line.

With respect, all I was suggesting is some mention be made as to what situations to avoid, for the benefit of those that can't/won't think in the technical terms that you are so well versed in.

This would obviously include scenarios where an amp with a nominal power rating that is less than the speakers nominal rating is part of the cause of a speaker fail scenario.

• Members

With respect, all I was suggesting is some mention be made as to what situations to avoid, for the benefit of those that can't/won't think in the technical terms that you are so well versed in.

I agree with wades' suggestion.

• Members

With respect, all I was suggesting ...

Me too. All I'm suggesting is you (anyone reading) that you learn where both ends of your limits are and then you make an informed decision based on that knowledge. Almost everything to do with Live Sound is based on one compromise or another. There are not certain answers ... except leaving the power switch off ;)

for the benefit of those that can't/won't think

I'm not so interested in those who won't or can't think as those who can and will.

Archived