cheaper mics comparable to sm58?

• Members

Nice upgrade... if ot's so easy then why don't they come that way from the manufacturer.

Actually, there's poor isolation between the capsule and the housing that is only made a little better by the glue or potting. There is still way too much transmission, when you tap on the barrel it rings like a bell.

• Members
Nice upgrade... if ot's so easy then why don't they come that way from the manufacturer.

Actually, there's poor isolation between the capsule and the housing that is only made a little better by the glue or potting. There is still way too much transmission, when you tap on the barrel it rings like a bell.

I can only guess why they don't sound prof them but I'll take a shot at it (Cost). If my memory serves me right doesn't sure put something in the barrel of the SM58. If they do what is it? next time I go to practice I'll take my 58 and tap the xm8500 and then the 58 and see how they compare.

• Members

I really like the Samson Q7, I have put them side by side in my shop and compared with an SM58, Audix om3, and a couple others, and the Q7 compares favorably in the sound department with all that I have tried it against. Still, the SM58 beats it in handling noise, and noise transmitted back in through the cable. I think the Q7 beats the SM58 in the gain before feedback department, however. If I were going to be using them stand mounted I would choose the Q7 or the Audix over an SM58, however, the Audix is every bit as expensive as the SM58. The Q7 normally sells for around $89, although Samson runs regular specials on them so that if you catch them at a local dealer at the right time you can buy them for a lot less than that.

Back to the handling noise thing, though, the SM58 beats pretty much any mic I have compared it to in that category. It isn't just the glue (or whatever that is in the handle), it's element is also mounted pretty well, and all those little things add up. It all works down to what works best for your situation. Stand mounted, I would pick the less expensive Samson q7 over the Shure, but if it's going to be used handheld, I would pick the Shure over it every time.

Someone else said on here, I think it was in the recording forum, that the SM58 is not going to be the best mic for a LOT of things, however, it will do an acceptable to very good job on nearly anything, and I think that pretty well sums it up.

• Members

If my memory serves me right doesn't sure put something in the barrel of the SM58. If they do what is it? next time I go to practice I'll take my 58 and tap the xm8500 and then the 58 and see how they compare.

At one time the 58 used a wax like material, then a glue like material but it was for securing the impedance matching transformer into the barrel and to prevent it from vibrating against the housing. The glue does not fill the entire housing but is limited to where the transformer is located.

There is quite a difference in the details of the element's isolation detials between the two different mics. The differences are really significant.

• Members

Someone else said on here, I think it was in the recording forum, that the SM58 is not going to be the best mic for a LOT of things, however, it will do an acceptable to very good job on nearly anything, and I think that pretty well sums it up.

I agree; however:

There's no doubt that if providing mics for a festival, or most any other type of PA work where the vocalists needs/desires are unknown, then SM-58's are without a doubt the gold standard mic of choice. But, if sourcing a mic for a specific application (like for a dedicated mic for a vocalist), then I suggest sourcing a mic suited to the vocalist. Admittedly, one size of Spandex pants will fit a wide variety of people, but I prefer Levis 501's... Ok, well, it could be that a SM-58 is well suited for the vocalist, but I typically carry a 40 count mic kit to shows I'm working, which contains 4 ea. SM-58's, and the balance of the kit is comprised of approx. 20 other makes and models of vocal and instrument mics (some cost more than SM-58's, some cost less). I rarely use all 4 of the SM-58's, but I oftentimes wish I'd had a couple more of some of the other makes & models of mics.

For years (a couple of decades) the lead vocalist used an SM-58 in the vanity band that I've been playing in for most of those 2 decades. The SM-58 worked fine, but one day I brought my 40 piece mic kit to practice so he could try out a variety of different mics. We found that an Audio-Technica Pro-41 yielded considerably better results for his voice and style.

• Members

Try them and let us know what you think.

i think i will. i hear really good things about them from various places although admitedly they are the same places where other bottom feeder products are often touted.

either way i end up doing shows for a lot of young hardcore bands and such and i really hate handing them a beta58 or something when i know that they may just end up doing something stupid. plus it would give me multiples of the same mic to use while i build up my collection.

i just thought that i would ask here because i trust the opinions here a little more than elsewhere.

• Members

Mark: that's the 1st time I've ever heard anyone like the Pro41. weird.

That was kind-of my point Pete, although I didn't know what the general acceptance of the Pro41 was.

On our lead singer, it's a good combination... for whatever reason, I dunno, but it works well. Point is, with our lead singer, that mic is a much better combination than an SM-58, but we slogged along for 2+ decades with a 58 thinking it's the go-to mic for most any application, when in-fact, a lesser know and somewhat lesser priced (and possibly less revered mic) actually works better for the application.

• Members

Cheap shot!:poke: Yea, I import, therefore I have lower standards... that must be it. I'm stating that the XM8500 is a decent budget mic. Read the user reviews on this website for the XM8500's. It seems to be pretty good no? I think I have a good ear. I am not looking at an oscilloscope to determine how good it is. You don't have to be an engineer for that.

I make quality pickups in my shop, and import my own line of guitars made to my spec. I have auditioned 8 factories which took 13 months, to determine who can make what I consider quality guitars and not junk.

Mahogany body/ neck, 3/4" maple cap, pickups to my specs.

And this qualifies you to recommend cheap microphones?

Personal opinion, they may have some use in given situations, for my own situation the do not cut it, (and frankly neither do SM58's - but the 58 gets significantly closer to the mark).

• Members

Well, we have a guy that occasionally sits in with our band and he brought his own mic, a SM58. He let me use it for a month or so.

I have been using this Radio Shack mic that I picked up several years ago for $60 and I thought for sure the SM58 would blow it out of the water.

Nope. I'll be frank, I was singularly unimpressed.

The sound quality (at least for practices and gigging) was not noticeably better and the SM58 had only slightly better gain before feedback.

It really wasn't worth the more than fifty percent higher price tag.

Everything is made in China now so I honestly wonder if both companies buy from the same factories and just slap their name tags on the mics.

It raises the question, how much of your money is going toward quality and how much is actually going for just the name on the product?

• Members

Personal opinion, they may have some use in given situations, for my own situation the do not cut it, (and frankly neither do SM58's - but the 58 gets significantly closer to the mark).

Bang on. They don't sound the best, but I can fix that at FOH.

Things I can't fix are piss-poor off-axis rejection and handling noise. I won't comment on the build quality as users seem to agree they hold up fine, but I still won't trust a $20 mic for anything.

Andy's point is that everybody's application is different, and therefore everyone's perception of value. A honda civic gets me to the grocery store the same as a heavy duty pickup, why spend the extra money on a truck that's built to work when I don't need it to? I'm of the opinion that people who question the value of higher priced microphones aren't in a position to properly stress their design. A cheap radio shack mic will sound the same as a $250 OM7 when you go "check one, two" into it through a small PA. I can talk {censored} about large pickups all I want if I'm only driving it to the store and back, but construction workers would disagree. A civic isn't gonna tow a trailer full of tools through a rough job site.

• Members

Everything is made in China now so I honestly wonder if both companies buy from the same factories and just slap their name tags on the mics.

It raises the question, how much of your money is going toward quality and how much is actually going for just the name on the product?

I suggest that you do not know what you are talking about.

Everything is not made in China, and in fact the SM-58 is not made in China.

If your PA is the limiting factor in your sound, it won't matter what mic you use. This is one cause, I expect, for why some folks can't hear a difference. If the PA rolls off at 8kHz, or has gross peaks and dips in the response, nothing much will matter.

• Members

The sound quality (at least for practices and gigging) was not noticeably better and the SM58 had only slightly better gain before feedback.

That slight gbf is worth the slight $$ extra on my stage ... can mean the difference of me being there next time or the guy with better mics.

• Members

That slight gbf is worth the slight $$ extra on my stage ... can mean the difference of me being there next time or the guy with better mics.

Yup, a little better in an important area can be a deal maker or breaker. Feedback rejection is kind of an important parameter when the rubber meets the road.

• Members

I suggest that you do not know what you are talking about.

Everything is not made in China, and in fact the SM-58 is not made in China.

If your PA is the limiting factor in your sound, it won't matter what mic you use. This is one cause, I expect, for why some folks can't hear a difference. If the PA rolls off at 8kHz, or has gross peaks and dips in the response, nothing much will matter.

Maybe he meant the fake SM58 knock offs on eBay were made in China.

Archived