Have you ever heard of a drummer wanting his drums in his monitor?

• Members
I'm not sure a lot of people replying have read the OP carefully. He plays small venues on small stages. I don't think drums are needed in the monitors unless you are in a large room or outdoor venue.

dk

yes, I understood perfectly. Many drummers want some kick in that situation. I always run a little thru the sidefills in that situation and that seems to work for them.

• Members

When we play bigger places, I tell the soundguy to put the kick up in everyone's monitors, even if they don't mention they want it. I've found that it keeps people more on tempo with the drummer, instead of on the tempo they think it should be. After all, the kick and the snare really should be doing the timekeeping.

• Members

When we play bigger places, I tell the soundguy to put the kick up in everyone's monitors, even if they don't mention they want it. I've found that it keeps people more on tempo with the drummer, instead of on the tempo they think it should be. After all, the kick and the snare really should be doing the timekeeping.

unless you have a bass player. its been my experience that more often than not the bass player controls the tempo, at least in the bands that are professional and make money; otherwise all bets are off.

• Members

not enough musicians pay attention to the snare, IMO. That's where the accent cues, etc are.

• Members

As a monitor engineer, most of the time I return Kick to the drummers monitor. Often this is all that is requested. I have gone as far as returning a complete drum mix back to the drummer but that is extremely rare (and IMHO usualy just an ego stroke anyway).

As a drummer as well, in a weekend bar band sort of setting, I prefer to hear a bit of kick as also (in a small room, If I get enough to hear it well then usualy the FOH PA doesn't need any (or at least any of the bottom end)). I can certainly play without it but it is one of the first things to get buried in the mix and it really helps keep the band tight (as well as make people want to dance).

• Members

The drummer for the band I am with wants his drums in the monitors? I'm just learning about running sound, but this seems like an odd request. We play smaller places on very small stages. I don't really need any instruments in my monitors, except maybe the other guitar.... definitely not drums.

Is his request normal?

You're kidding, right? My drummer wants only drums in his monitor. Mainly kick. If you are on stage and everything else is amplified the drummer's ability to hear the kick gets compromised pretty quickly. I've noticed his energy, playing and mood are greatly improved when I've got that kick nice and loud for him.

JP

• Members

On a regular monitor system, I just want kick, I can hear the rest of the kit just fine . I also ask for guitar, a little bass (I can feel it through the stage) and some vocals (I sing too).

When I use my in-ears, I mix it like a cd with more guitar and kick.

• Members

No offense, but I don't think I'd care for the drummer - or anyone else, for that matter - telling the soundguy what to put in my monitor mix - and especially without telling me... I've played some fairly large stages before, and usually don't have a problem hearing enough kick to stay on time...

- georgestrings

• Members

YES! My drummer has to have his kick drum in his monitor! He also likes to have a 15" extension cab from the bass player...under his monitor! Absolutly bizarre. He says he needs to 'feel' the sound as well as hear it.

There ya go!

There you go. That's why drummers want drums in the monitor. So they can "feel it". Just as it is with any instrument, the better it sounds to you, the better you are going to play.

With that said however, I don't carry enough equipment with me to run a separate mix for the drums in my little Trio. If the drummer wants to carry an extra monitor for his drums, I'm glad to hook it up for him. When we play festivals, I always list a sub, with a wedge on top, and a separate mix for him.

In my stage set up in Clubs... Guitar, and Bass, up front stage right and left, drummer in the middle behind. I run two 15" floor monitors up front, on one mix, and the drummer has to hear that.

I like a little snare in the monitor, as I prefer to hear it in front of me, rather than behind me. As a guitar player in a Trio, the snare is what I listen to. I play on it, behind it, in front of it, or hear a snare pop to let me know when to come in or stop. As far as the drummer, "feeling it". He has to rely on what comes out of the FOS, filling the room. Unless he brings stuff, which he does sometimes.

• Members

What the heck, one more opinion won't hurt....

Our drummer in on IEM's and wants in order of level, bass, kick, vocals and a little acoustic guitar. She says she gets enough of everything else from the vocal mic bleed.

In small venues I sneak some OH into her mix to mellow out her "touch" on the cymbals.:thu::lol:

Winston

• Members

Like I said, I've never run sound before so I'm learning on the fly. Good thing is the bandleader has and he is sort of showing me the ropes. This drummer does have his own drum monitor, I believe it is some type of Peavey with a 15. I will try boosting the kick, snare, and hi-hat in his monitor. Hopefully this doesn't increase stage volume too much as it seems we're already too loud a lot of the time.

• Members

I'll throw my two cents in here. As a former drummer, I wanted the entire mix run through my monitor. I placed an individual mic on the kick and two ambient mics directly in front of my set and those signals were then mixed with the rest of the band and run to my monitor. As a current lead guitar player and singer, I still basically want the same thing coming from my stage monitor. I use my amp to help monitor my guitar but I mainly rely on my stage monitor. I want an entire mix coming through it. I dont want to hear "ME"....I want to hear "US". I want to hear what the audience is inevitably hearing. So the mix that I have coming through my stage monitor is basically the same mix thats coming out of the stage cabinets.....although I may sometimes increase the vocal volume level in the monitor slightly depending on setting and venue. I can certainly understand a drummer wanting a complete or close to complete mix running through his monitor.

• Members

This makes no sense at all to me and I am a drummer. I can always hear myself even while using in ear monitors. In the bands I have played guitar in, I have never needed drums on a monitor either. Nor has the drummer ever asked for it.

You guys haven't ever played with loud percussion right by your side, have you?

• Members

During soundcheck, when I walk up behind the drummer to see what's in his monitor, the drums are so loud I can't stand it.

How the **** could anyone need more snare?

Kick - can't he tell when he's hittin' the thing? If he needs to hear it in order to tell, he needs to go back to the woodshed. Same for the toms. And anything else.

IMHO, YMMV.

• Members

This makes no sense at all to me and I am a drummer. I can always hear myself even while using in ear monitors. In the bands I have played guitar in, I have never needed drums on a monitor either. Nor has the drummer ever asked for it.

Its not a hear thing, but a feel thing. The drums don't sound the same un-miced vs miced.

I think its sort of like, if the effect pedals on my guitar only came out of the FOS and not on stage. I would want it in the monitor mix. I think its the same with drummers, IDK, I just try and keep em happy if I am able.

• Members

The drummer for the band I am with wants his drums in the monitors? I'm just learning about running sound, but this seems like an odd request. We play smaller places on very small stages. I don't really need any instruments in my monitors, except maybe the other guitar.... definitely not drums.

Is his request normal?

yes, for heavy metal bands and people that just want to be loud. but, on the other hand, most do want at least kick. as a drummer, i would love to have a lot of bass and kick, it helps to lock in. but i have stopped using a monitor. as long as i can hear the bass, i am ok. i never have a problem hearing guitars. in fact, i run sound from the drums. if i can hear vocals at the drums from the FOH, they are ok. this i have figured out after setting the mix and listening out front, even had another drummer sit in so i could get a good feel for how it sounded and what to listen for. we have 2 monitors on top of the FOH that point to us, almost like a side fill setup. after i set the FOH, i may add a touch to the monitors, usually only if the singers ask for it and sometimes i cross feed the gtrs. right side gtr in lft monitor. thats usually just for the bass player to hear the other gtr player. this keeps our overall volume down. poeple seem to like it, everywhere we play they like that they could talk while the band plays. or maybe that we sound so bad they like it quieter???

get him a set of head phones or in ears and give him what he wants.

Archived