Monitor volume with a quiet singer

• Members

I've been running sound for a local band, and after two gigs it's obvious what the sticking point is. There are two female singers, and one of them sings very quietly. VERY quietly. And I simply can't get her monitor loud enough for her to hear herself over the rest of the band.

I'm running a pretty standard small bar rig, I guess - the monitors are Peavey SP-15M, each driven by one side of a QSC RMX-2450. A&H MixWiz, Peavey 31-band EQ on each monitor channel. Shure Beta 87a mics.

The other two singers (one female, one male) say they can hear themselves fine. Each singer has their own monitor mix.

I'm ringing out her monitor as best as I know how (turn it up until it feeds back; use the graphic EQ to eliminate the feedback; repeat) but it still won't go loud enough for her without feeding back.

Anything else I can do here? She's a very good singer and that would come across much better at the shows if I could get her louder in the monitors, but she's just so quiet...

• Members

Tell her nicely that if she's not going to project to learn better mic technique.

Yeah, this is ultimately not a problem the soundman can solve if the stage sound level is even moderately high. Some mics might work a little better than others, but singers have to learn to project if they want to sing with a band.

• Members

I've been running sound for a local band, and after two gigs it's obvious what the sticking point is. There are two female singers, and one of them sings very quietly. VERY quietly. And I simply can't get her monitor loud enough for her to hear herself over the rest of the band.

I'm running a pretty standard small bar rig, I guess - the monitors are Peavey SP-15M, each driven by one side of a QSC RMX-2450. A&H MixWiz, Peavey 31-band EQ on each monitor channel. Shure Beta 87a mics.

The other two singers (one female, one male) say they can hear themselves fine. Each singer has their own monitor mix.

I'm ringing out her monitor as best as I know how (turn it up until it feeds back; use the graphic EQ to eliminate the feedback; repeat) but it still won't go loud enough for her without feeding back.

Anything else I can do here? She's a very good singer and that would come across much better at the shows if I could get her louder in the monitors, but she's just so quiet...

IMHO given that this is basically her problem, she should be responsible for the solution, so tell her she needs to invest in IEMs for herself. That should solve the problem.

• Members

I just did a gig last week-end with two female vocalists, one of whom was extremely quiet. Both the singers wanted more of the weak one in the monitor. When I checked her mic it practically blew me away, it was so loud! At that point I simply said I can't fix what's not there.

I have worked with a few vocalists, where there was nothing to do but send them home or get in ears.

So.... my suggestion is - get her to purchase some in ear monitors. And get her some vocal and mic training.

IMO you shouldn't beat yourself up over this, if in fact it's really her problem.

• Members

I usually turn them down to almost zero on their monitor and wait until they complain. Then I say: "if you want to hear your voice, you'll need to sing louder... yeah, louder... louder... a bit more... there you go, sing like that through the whole show, ok?"

• Members

I'm quite blunt with singers like this.

I'm forever telling women singers in rock bands that either they have to project or the band has to turn down. End of.

You say you're using a B87. Try angling the monitor at 45o to the mic, it's a hypercardioid, so picks a lot 180o off axis

• Members

Good luck with THAT. I work with a guy who simply will not project. His mic is always the hottest on the stage (and not surprisingly - always the first to have feedback problems). I've been working with him for several years .... we used to argue about it. Now before most shows - I bring him over to the board. I show him the gain settings on his channel compared to everybody else's - and the show him where the feedback starts. He's welcome to stop by anytime during the show to confirm I've given him "all there is". Nothing has been effective in convincing him HE needs to pump up the volume and learn to project. Oh well.

• Members

There are limits no matter what you do. How many sliders do you end up moving on the GEQ. If more then 6 you are probably going backwards and actually cutting more of what you need than getting additional GBF.

1. Kiss the mic, sing with lips touching the windscreen.

2. Use a good feedback eliminator instead of GEQ.

3. insert a BBE on her channel

Archived