Outdoor gig: 1000 watt or 2000 watt generator?

• Members

I am doing a low volume outdoor solo piano gig with my Roland digital piano and a little amp. They asked me if I need a 1000 watt or a 2000 watt generator. Any experts know?

UPDATE :

I have the Hondas available for me.

My amplifier max consumption is 80 watts and Keyboard max is 22 watts.

Will the 1000 watt Honda be fine???

http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/p...&category=play

Honda Inverter Technology

"Honda's inverter technology means stable, clean power in a smaller, lighter package. By taking the raw power produced by the generator and passing it through a special microprocessor, Honda generators are able to produce a sine wave equal to or better than your household power. This means you can even operate the most sensitive electronics without fear of interruption."

• Members

It's a 2 hour wedding gig that pays $350. The groom has offered to provide a rented generator. My keyboard is a Roland FP4, with built in stereo speakers, which I would also connect to a 60 watt Bose CD-2000 stereo. I am starting to think I should turn it over to a guitar player who has his own a battery powered amp.

• Members

Safe for you or safe for your keyboards - they can be finicky.

Such a small amount of gear, any chance there's AC anywhere close (within a hundred feet). You might be able to use a properly rated 50' plus AC drop.

Or use a battery powered keyboard with a battery powered amp, if you don't trust the generator.

• Members

A little gen set rated at 1000 watts should do the trick for a small PA and your keys with no hassles. Get a 60 watt (globe) light and have that plugged in and running all the time. You could even go to 100 watt. This will help with ripple and smooth the power out in between loads (with luck).

• Members

Are you going to be running any lights? (to read sheet music?) Are you going to use only your keyboards' speakers? I don't think that Bose CD-2000 would be workable. Why not consider renting a single powered P/A speaker. Some come with a built-in 2-channel mixer, so you could plug in a mic, as well as your keyboard.

Have you got a mic/stand/cables? Does your keyboard have a balanced output? You might need a D.I. You'll probably also need a speaker stand.

A small generator should easily handle all of that through a single 15 amp outlet. You're probably looking at roughly 5-6 amps for everything, if you're using a 500w speaker.

http://cgi.ebay.com/BOSE-CD-2000-Acoustic-Wave-Music-System-CD-Radio-Aux_W0QQitemZ250521464635QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3a543e2f3b

• Members

It's a 2 hour wedding gig that pays $350. The groom has offered to provide a rented generator. My keyboard is a Roland FP4, with built in stereo speakers, which I would also connect to a 60 watt Bose CD-2000 stereo. I am starting to think I should turn it over to a guitar player who has his own a battery powered amp.

That's just about what the repair bill came to last time I used a generator on a gig.

• Members

The 2000 watt Honda "Inverter" generator would work fine. They have clean, well regulated output. I have never had a problem with any equipment connected to them. I do however make sure that my maximum load is under the generator's rated output, and allow some head room for dynamics.

• Members

The 2000 watt Honda "Inverter" generator would work fine. They have clean, well regulated output. I have never had a problem with any equipment connected to them. I do however make sure that my maximum load is under the generator's rated output, and allow some head room for dynamics.

I'm going to second this -

Spec a Honda EU2000is. It's 16A generator, inverter power, and is superquiet - one can literally have a conversation with someone with the Generator running at his or her feet. I own the 3000is (a bit larger) and it is a Workhorse. I would always suggest grounding the Genset properly by driving a ground stake in accordance to electrical code, although I believe code doesn't require a ground stake if you are direct connected to the generator (No Distro, just plugged right in). Make sure that the ECO Throttle is OFF.

Todd A.

• Members

I'm going to second this -

Spec a Honda EU2000is. It's 16A generator, inverter power, and is superquiet - one can literally have a conversation with someone with the Generator running at his or her feet. I own the 3000is (a bit larger) and it is a Workhorse. I would always suggest grounding the Genset properly by driving a ground stake in accordance to electrical code, although I believe code doesn't require a ground stake if you are direct connected to the generator (No Distro, just plugged right in). Make sure that the ECO Throttle is OFF.

Todd A.

+1, these are great little generators for this type of application.

• Members

before the wedign turns in to a train wreck -

the boss radio needs to be left at home. You need a powered speak, like ones made by EV and Yorkville.

you need to put this on a tripod.

Generator stuff has been taken care of .... however, are they not providing some sort of PA for the cerimony? If not, then you might consider your the powered speaker for that as well? - add a mic

• Members

My amplifier has max 80 watts power consumption. And my keyboard has a 22 watt power consumption. No lights, it's a daytime event.

you don't need a light because of its output, .. you need a light to "stabelise" the generator.

A heater would also work.

I would sugest about 100-150 watts of load ... so light bulb, heaters - no motors, if someone wants to plug in a fridge or something, tell them they are more then welcome AFTER your done.

• Members

you don't need a light because of its output, .. you need a light to "stabelise" the generator.

A heater would also work.

I would sugest about 100-150 watts of load ... so light bulb, heaters - no motors, if someone wants to plug in a fridge or something, tell them they are more then welcome AFTER your done.

Not necessary with an EU Series, so long as you keep the Eco mode OFF.

• Members

OKAY! I have the Honda generator available for me.

My amplifier max consumption is 80 watts and Keyboard max is 22 watts.

Will the 1000 watt Honda be fine???

http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/products/models.aspx?page=models&section=P2GG&category=play

Honda Inverter Technology

"Honda's inverter technology means stable, clean power in a smaller, lighter package. By taking the raw power produced by the generator and passing it through a special microprocessor, Honda generators are able to produce a sine wave equal to or better than your household power. This means you can even operate the most sensitive electronics without fear of interruption."

Archived