Last night's 'office'

Notes_Norton

• Members

Congratulations on surviving the gig. Outdoors should have been okay and I hope you took whatever precautions were possible. A lady from church just returned from a family vacation to Florida and now she has COVID in spite of being vaccinated. Let us know if you or any of your bandmates develop symptoms.

• Members

Yes, our governor has created the USA's biggest hotbed of COVID here in Florida (and he wants to run for president). The newspapers are calling it "Death by DeSantis".

We had an offer for a gig in a nightclub that has been closed twice due to COVID.  It's a place that is frequented by the Anti-Vaxxer and Anti-Mask crowds. We've played this club in healthier times, and right behind the band is the AC return vent, which is the most dangerous place to be. So we declined the gig. In order to not hurt the feelings of the client, we told her we were sorry, but we had a previous booking.

Leilani and I are mRNA vaccinated, the wind was at our backs, and we both have strong immune systems, so I hope we are OK. There was no way we could get out of the marina gig.

I hope the lady from your church recovers quickly and completely.

Insights and incites by Notes

• Members

Glad you got to play a gig.

I suppose to start back up on Sept 9. Just waiting for the Dr to give me the OK. My last Physical Therapy will be Sept 6. I think my shoulder is doing great. Probably should practice my old songs since I haven't sang or played them since March of last year. Only been playing the new songs I put together while I was stuck at home (132 songs).

My 2022 gigs are 2/3 full. People called me to get back the bookings they cancelled last year. Just don't want to end up having them cancelled because people aren't getting Vax'd.

I personally don't have any sympathy or patience for anti-vaxxers. After I was vaccinated, I gave everybody else all summer to get one too. If they haven't got one by now, they are on their own. If you physically cant take the vaccine, you shouldn't be out in public. But if you're not Vax'd, please don't come out to my gigs.

I made a sign that I will be using... (If you are not vaccinated or wearing a mask, stay away from me)

Hopefully we'll all get back into the swing soon like we were before this ClusterF*** took place.

• Members

As far as anti-vaxxers are concerned, this is what I think should be done.

Since I read that it costs the taxpayers $80 to vaccinate each person, if someone who is eligible for the vaccine and refuses it, this is what should happen; The government pays the firs $80, and the patient has to pay the rest -- in advance -- or they don't get treated.

It shows responsibility for one's own decisions, and it doesn't force anyone to get their jab.

I wrote this to 'my' GOP 'representatives' and other than the form letter letting me know they got my mail, I haven't received any response.

Oh, well. I thought they were elected to represent me. (Foolish, I know).

We had a decent 2022 season going, but some have already called to let us know if Delta or Lambda is running amok, they may have to cancel.

And I blame the anti-vaxxers for this. If we had acted sooner, and if the anti-vaxxers got on board, we could have had herd immunity in the US already.

August and September are notoriously the two slowest months around here, so I don't expect many. I have an outdoor one day a week gig coming up in either October or November, depending on Delta and the Canadian Border situation. It'll be our 13th season. Plus, I'm still holding deposits from people who canceled in 2020 (I gave them the choice).

Too bad people aren't avoiding COVID like the plague.

Notes

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Understand your position regarding your gig Notes. I did a backyard BBQ that I was going to decline. The host mentioned all the safety protocols, and that he wasn't inviting anyone that wasn't double vaccinated and generally cautious. Then he basically said that for some people, this might be the last year they could attend, either due to death or becoming infirm. He was joking, but only sort of.

I've been gigging back at my airport venue, and I've been wearing my mask - so far so good. I also have a Jazz festival gig (45 minutes) indoors, that was supposed to be outside, so that will be a masked gig as well. Got a boat cruise coming up, where everyone has to be vaccinated but as we know, one can still spread Covid even if vaccinated. Yep, the saga continues.

Stay safe.

• Members

For me, a mask won't work. I haven't figured out how to play saxophone, flute or wind synthesizer with a mask on. And I don't know if singing would work well with a mask either.

We just got a gig, outdoors, in one of those 'office' locations because one of the band members got COVID and is hospitalized. If she is who I think she is, she is a very vocal anti-vaxxer. I don't feel sorry for anti-vaxxers who get COVID anymore. They have to accept responsibility for their decisions.

Now, instead of one gig there this month, we have two. I'd truly rather not get an extra gig this way, and I hope she recovers.

Notes