direct bass question

• Members

its usually ampeg bass amps and i go from the back of their amp head to my snake channel to the board. my board is allen and heath mix wiz

Yah, that mixer can't take really hot signals - I use an external pad if needed:

http://store.daleproaudio.com/Items/whir-impad20?sck=6718410&caSKU=whir-impad20&caTitle=Whirlwind%20IMPAD20%20XLR%20Inline%20Barrel%20Transformer%20with%2020DB%20Pad

• Members

If you don't hear any clipping when you PFL the channel in your headphones, don't worry about it. The peak light comes on about 9dB early IIRC.

Make sure that phantom power is off on that channel, as some gear will misbehave when it sees phantom.

• Members

For the bass players I work with, I find I need to use the pad (on my MixWiz). I find the pad to be very effective, so I'm puzzled by the fact that "sometimes it just doesn't help".

Check to make sure you're using the correct out on the bass amp. And of course, the trim on the channel strip will still come into play - pad or no pad.

• Members

If you don't hear any clipping when you PFL the channel in your headphones, don't worry about it.
The peak light comes on about 9dB early IIRC.

Make sure that phantom power is off on that channel, as some gear will misbehave when it sees phantom.

On my older 16:2 version it's 5dB before clipping.

Winston

Archived