Need Help with matching power amp to speakers.

• Members
So by either using a smaller amp, or by properly setting limiters (see dboomer's post in the Guide for Goobers sticky thread at the top of these pages for a good step-by-step to do this) for a larger amp, you can better control (but note..NOT guarantee) the amp's output.

XTI's have internal DSP's and their limiters are settable to certain steps, 0, -3, -5 and -12(?) db if I remember correctly.

• Members
Really, look at selling your current speakers and upgrading to self-powered speakers. You are the ideal customer for that product. All of this hard work is done for you internally.

Yes, I also have a pair of PR12D's and they sound significantly better than the unpowered versions unless you spend the time to EQ those :). Don't think the XTI's DSP has a preset for the PR15's?

• Members

Really, look at selling your current speakers and upgrading to self-powered speakers. You are the ideal customer for that product. All of this hard work is done for you internally.

Thanks for the advice, ive thought about it. But really, this isnt hard work to me. I want to learn this stuff and everything there is to know. Haha, i got my work cut out for me i know. Lots of reading and asking you guys questions, haha. But hey, i love every bit of it. :)

• Members
Making the adjustment on any limiter is the easy part. Knowing what to set it to is the point of his article.

AFAIK the XTI's limiter is pretty "kindergarden": -3db cuts the power in half, -6db to 1/4, -12db to 1/16th. I think it is a peak limiter and not a more useful RMS limiter?

• Members

i could be mistaken but volume and wattage are two different things, correct? So therefore, i couldnt just run my mixer and have the volume half way up, end result: not blowing my speakers?

P.S. Hey, newbie questions have to be asked sometime or another... lol.

• Members
i could be mistaken but volume and wattage are two different things, correct? So therefore, i couldnt just run my mixer and have the volume half way up, end result: not blowing my speakers?

Sure - until you push the wrong button on the mixer or an input cable breaks and sends a hum into the system or someone accidentally points a mic at a monitor or gets too close to the mains or a bunch or other "accidents" - then it's new speaker time :eek:.

• Members

Ok, thanks. So now the question is, I can get a XTI-2000 for $320 after tax or a XTI-1000 for $335 after tax. Because there the same price, would it be better to get the 2000 and run the limiter at -3db, cause thats not really waisting money seeing how the 2000 is actually cheaper. Hmmmm, decisions decisions.

• Members

Ok, thanks. So now the question is, I can get a XTI-2000 for $320 after tax or a XTI-1000 for $335 after tax. Because there the same price, would it be better to get the 2000 and run the limiter at -3db, cause thats not really waisting money seeing how the 2000 is actually cheaper. Hmmmm, decisions decisions.

sure.

Archived