No more "made in USA" for JBL

• CMS Author

http://www.itintl.com/

How Much Does it Cost to Import? Importers are expected to pay an import tax on virtually every item they import. But how much do you have to pay? Import tax (also known as an import duty or import tariff) is collected by US Customs on every import that comes into the US. Import tariffs are the second largest source of revenue next to the IRS.

What's this got to do with my post? You parroted a paragraph from the linked page, but for what?:confused:

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • CMS Author

That's still a Poop load of money. But factor that in with the amount of debt that has to get serviced and it really isn't healthy.

Bottom line is that the peopel that adapt to changing realities will always be better off- manufacturing as we know it will be exported overseas. So long as Wal*Mart is the preferred store, that's reality.

Todd A.

The defense budget "issue" is a diversion. Yes, the defense budget is huge. And healthcare is nearly as large a part of our economy as defense spending. But neither has anything to do with jobs shipped overseas.

• Members

The defense budget "issue" is a diversion. Yes, the defense budget is huge. And healthcare is nearly as large a part of our economy as defense spending. But neither has anything to do with jobs shipped overseas.

well, I might disagree on the grounds that everything is interrelated.

For example, if we didn't have a gov that had to prosecute an expensive war, then we certainly could put more focus into job training back home, couldn't we? defense spending puts money into the economy though, although not as much as it used to- at least on main street- much of that manufacturing is automated. So we can try to keep a certain status quo, or move forward into different areas and lead the way. I would suggest the former.

T

• Members

What's this got to do with my post? You parroted a paragraph from the linked page, but for what?
:confused:

Import duties and taxes into other countries has been given as one of the reasons for difficulty/unfairness in exporting. I was only pointing out that USA has tariff/tax/quota barriers that are as high or higher that most of its major trading partners. Preaching free trade doesnt mean it is real.

• Members

A good example is Japan, Korea and Taiwan. All three were developing nations with low wages and every one of them followed the same path to where they are pretty much equal to the US or Europe in terms of wages and standards when cost of living is factored in. Their general standard of living is just as high.

I am not speaking about countries with some form of democracy. I am specifically speaking about China. If you think that they will follow the same path as any of those three countries you are sadly mistaken.

They are still a communist country and the government takes full advantage of that. Most live in squalor and many factory workers live in the factory in dorm type situations because they cannot afford to live anywhere else on their meager pay.

• Members

I am not speaking about countries with some form of democracy. I am specifically speaking about China. If you think that they will follow the same path as any of those three countries you are sadly mistaken.

They are still a communist country and the government takes full advantage of that. Most live in squalor and many factory workers live in the factory in dorm type situations because they cannot afford to live anywhere else on their meager pay.

Hmmm.. I happen to know quite a few people who live in China, and they have a decent standard of living, especially given that many are American living abroad...

You singled out China here, but you more accurately described India, which is ostensibly a Democracy.

There's some irony there- especially given that China just executed some dudes for corporate corruption that killed some babies/Children w/ tainted milk. They certainly do not Screw around over there.

Todd A.

• CMS Author

Guys, we need to keep this discussion a lot closer to the original topic of moving sound gear manufacturing overseas. Political discussions are not permitted here, and this is getting more and more like a political discussion. I'm as guilty as any for allowing it to slide. Let's get it back on-topic or end it (or feel free to continue in the Political Cesspoo....er, Forum).

Archived