Upgrading my JBL Mains

• Members

Several years ago, we decided to quit hiring out sound, and bought our own live sound gear. Being cheap, we decided to go with 2 JBL JRX passive 18's and 2 JRX dual 15's with horn. Great bottom end from the subs - these have never been an issue, but we've never been very happy with the mains. Any amount of EQ'ing and tweaking still leaves a muddy mid-rangy dead tone to the mix.

Here's my question - am I going to notice much of a difference between these boxes and the MRX 525's? The $ difference between what I get for the JRX boxes and the cost of the new MRX's is going to be pretty substantial (to me anyway) - and I don't want to spend the extra money for just a marginal improvment in sound.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

15's are just muddier that 12's and dual 15's are mostly for people that listen with their eyes. Get some MRX512M's or better yet SRX712M's. If you really aren't ready to step up to 12's get some SRX715's . Any of those will be a big improvement. Sell them JRX's to someone you really hate or save them for your next bonfire - they burn pretty good :lol:.

• Members

15's are just muddier that 12's and dual 15's are mostly for people that listen with their eyes. Get some MRX512M's or better yet SRX712M's. If you really aren't ready to step up to 12's get some SRX715's .

I've never like the sound of dual 15's but they seem so damn popular! I wonder if this is because that extra 15 helps getting the speakers up in the air? Seems like most people HATE pole mounted speakers for some reason... and it can also get complicated quickly if you have start using scaffolding of sorts in outdoor situations.

I personally stay away from dual 15's when I'm buying. I'd rather go with a single 15 two way pole mounted. Might not look as cool, but it that's not my priority! ;)

• Members

I've never like the sound of dual 15's but they seem so damn popular!
I wonder if this is because that extra 15 helps getting the speakers up in the air?
Seems like most people HATE pole mounted speakers for some reason... and it can also get complicated quickly if you have start using scaffolding of sorts in outdoor situations.

I personally stay away from dual 15's when I'm buying. I'd rather go with a single 15 two way pole mounted. Might not look as cool, but it that's not my priority!
;)

Yea, this. I would have no problem with dual 12's though, if that will clean things up - soundwise. I refuse to have speakers on a stick (which I already have - Yamaha 15" Club series cabs), and I'm not willing to fly speakers from any scaffold or other structure.

• Members

15's are just muddier that 12's and dual 15's are mostly for people that listen with their eyes. Get some MRX512M's or better yet SRX712M's. If you really aren't ready to step up to 12's get some SRX715's . Any of those will be a big improvement. Sell them JRX's to someone you really hate or save them for your next bonfire - they burn pretty good
:lol:

jaja I don

• Members

Its definitely a thing of the eye. I did a small outdoor outreach for a womens center, band on a flatbed truck and not a huge area to cover. What I had worked great. My mains were a pair of EAW JF290z's over subs.

The ministry mentioned that they liked the other guy's system better because he had concert series speakers instead of those little speakers, the last guy used a pair JRX dual 15's. LOLS Oh well!

• Members

Its definitely a thing of the eye. I did a small outdoor outreach for a womens center, band on a flatbed truck and not a huge area to cover. What I had worked great. My mains were a pair of EAW JF290z's over subs.

The ministry mentioned that they liked the other guy's system better because he had concert series speakers instead of those little speakers, the last guy used a pair JRX dual 15's. LOLS Oh well!

There are so many out there that just think bigger is better. It is sad but true. You can put SRX cabs into a huge

• Members

How come all the bottom feeder low end junk is big and heavy and all the pro high end speakers are going towards small and light? Just maybe the pros know somethin' ?
;)

You know I said that weight wasn't an issue when buying my subs but now that I am losing 600lbs out of my trailer and gaining alot more space I got a little giddy! I can't wait to see how the bigger powered 7lb Peavey amps do even though the bigger amps may weigh a touch more.

• Members

How come all the bottom feeder low end junk is big and heavy and all the pro high end speakers are going towards small and light? Just maybe the pros know somethin' ?
;)

or the marketing people know that old guys have more money then young guys so they make light cabs for us old men who are willing to waste money on the illusion that the small stuff sounds as good as the big, heavy pro stuff...:thu:;)

• Members

I cannot express to you how irritated I am with the "bigger is better" group of people. This past weekend I went to a gig where the band had a pair of SRX715's mounted over a pair of MPro subs. The mix was a little poor and the sound started out a little muddy. Right away I hear, "That's what you get with those little dinky speakers." I just rolled my eyes. :facepalm:

• Members

Yea, this. I would have no problem with dual 12's though, if that will clean things up - soundwise. I refuse to have speakers on a stick (which I already have - Yamaha 15" Club series cabs), and I'm not willing to fly speakers from any scaffold or other structure.

I am curious as to why you refuse to use speakers on a stick, just interested in what your thoughts were on this. I currently just upgraded my tops, and I run JBL PRX512M's over the MRX518's and I can't believe how good this sounds, and it gets real stupid loud if I want it to. My old tops were Peavey SP-5's, I like them, but the weight and size was an issue, thanks

• Members

I am curious as to why you refuse to use speakers on a stick,

That's just not Rock and Roll, Dude :freak:!

Seriously don't know what they do for music but I can see a Hair Metal Tribute needing the "big stacks" look for the show. Marshall full-stacks and an Ampeg SVT w/ 8x10 cab just don't "go" with SOS rigs :(.

• Members

That's just not Rock and Roll, Dude
:freak:
!

Seriously don't know what they do for music but I can see a Hair Metal Tribute needing the "big stacks" look for the show. Marshall full-stacks and an Ampeg SVT w/ 8x10 cab just don't "go" with SOS rigs
:(

Ya I guess your right, can't do it anymore, my Marshall stack stays in the basement and doesn't even get powered up anymore. I even went to a modeler pedal, all the bars we play I barely get a signal light and were loud enough, must be were just getting old LOL

• Members

I recently upgraded from my JRX 125's to Peavey SP5's. The difference was amazing, I can't imagine the difference if I would have went higher quality. You will have NO disappointments going to something like the MRX series, I would have went that route but got a fairly good deal on the SP5's. Plus I sold off my JRX's for more than I paid for the Peavey's.

You will be shocked at how bad the JRX's actually sound when you hook something better up to your system. I took advice from some of the knowledge on this forum and it paid off.

Archived