Polyurethane lacquer crack or wood crack in the body?

jagfan99

• Members

I bought a lovely Fender Jaguar a week ago, a guitar I have been dreaming of for a long time. The seller listed it as used (its from 2002) and had some obvious cracks and chips in lacquer. It was stated on the listing that the guitar has been serviced by the luthier and it looked like it was - it was set up with a shimmed neck. It was just playing great. I changed strings and set it up myself, and now it seems even better.

It was obvious to me when I bought it that it has been dropped before but I don't mind cracks personally, I think they just add character. My only concern are those cracks at the back, I am worried that they may be deep enough and actually be an actual crack in the wood.

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

Seller has assured me that these are just finish cracks. But I thought I may ask you for an opinion as well. What do you think?

• Members

Hi everyone, thanks for comments I bought it only because CIJ Fender Jag in OTM with a matching headstock was my dream guitar for a long time and it is rarely available.  

I don't mind cracks in lacquer, for me they just make guitar a "Road Worn". The crack in wood was my concern. Well I checked but carefully scrapping some of it off.  It is a crack in a wood indeed. I just contacted a seller. I think there should no problem with a return/partial refund as he clearly messaged me several times that these are just cracks in the finish.  Thanks for help.

128176914_1103570693398607_1594766899256628140_n.jpg

128176914_1103570693398607_1594766899256628140_n.thumb.jpg.94e6cf30c8804137e39327966599a0e1.jpg

• Members

I have a 57 old reissue that that finished cracked a bit after only a year.

Great color.

I'd keep it.  If you got it at a decent price.

I don't think it's going anywhere.

Road wore to classic relic. You'll get there someday.

I left a leather strap on a candy apple 62 reissues that I have. lifted the finish a bit on the back. Didn't take long either.

You kind of never know what's under a painted finish, as paint hides a world of sin.

• Members

I am surprised at the lack of adhesion between the finish and the wood on that MIJ. I don't even see a trace of Fullerplast (white) primer unless it just peeled off too. It looks more like powdercoat than paint. Those Fenders have some thick finish on them. If you send that one back, I'll bet you can buy a brand new Vintera in OTM with matching headstock for the same money.

Archived